AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 06-01-2016, 08:44 PM

I just received the Alpha HC for my Constellation Stereo-amp. After a hour of burn-in with a Dyson vacuum-cleaner I replaced the NBS power cord of the amp and I didn't believe my ears. The NBS-PC, that were 10 years ago about $4000, are out-performed on all aspects: (micro-)dynamics, detail/transparency, width and especially layered depth of stage, bass-control and -extension. But I was especially exited to hear also a more detailed and authoritative mid-range! More meat on the bone, so to say! And they are not even burned-in yet!
The next change is that I also will replace the powercord of my Bryston BDP-2 with a Alpha-digital. I am curious what that will bring.
Gerard

Last edited by GerardJ; 06-07-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:57 PM

I did connect the Alpha-digital a few days ago on my BDP-2. The change was definitely noticeable but less striking than the Alpha-HC on my power amp. But with the Alpha digital more detailed and more integrated sound field! And then the next days the burning-in of both cables really started. The sound was the first day quite good but then the next day it was much less, too bright and veil. And the next day it changed again. Strange phenomenon this burning in...! I let my system play the Isotek burn-in audio file the whole night and I wonder how long it will take (100hrs?)? Patience is really a virtue....
I am also curious if the next step, using a Alpha HC on my Inspiration preamp, would make a large improvement. And then on my BDA-2 DAC also an Alpha-HC?
Does perhaps Caelin Gabriel has any thoughts about that?
Regards, Gerard

-------
Sources: Mark Levinson 37, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2
Amplifiers: Constellation Inspiration Preamp1, Constellation Inspiration Stereo1
Speakers: TAD Evolution One
Power: Shunyata Alpha HC, Shunyata Alpha Digital, NBS Statement (2), NBS Monitor I (1), 3 dedicated powerlines
Analog Cables: MIT MH-770 Ultralin.II Biwire, NBS Monitor II IC XLR, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 XLR
Digital Cables: NBS Prof.Digital XLR, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 BNC
Old 06-09-2016, 07:41 AM

Hi Gerard,

Caelin has been very busy with work and design, but I'd be pleased to help. We own Constellation electronics and use them along with a few other brands for testing, so we know your system well. I would try an Alpha HC on your DAC initially, then pre-amp. Both applications should bring a noticeable improvement. Break-in requires 4-5 days of patience and yes, the sound does change for the worse in different ways on days 2,3 and 4, improving and stabilizing usually on day 5.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research
Old 06-29-2016, 08:17 PM

Hi Grant,
Thanks for your advice!
Few days ago I had the opportunity to buy a demo cable Sigma Analog and i could not resist buying them. I connected it on my Constellation Preamp1 and what an improvement! I am now wondering if my Constellation Stereo1 Amp could benefit from a Sigma HC!? I saw on the Shunyata component selection guide that only 250w/ch amps and class A amps need a Sigma HC. I am not sure my Constellation Stereo1 amp falls in that category (200W/8ohm and 400W/4ohm - my TAD speaker is 4ohm nominal). What is your advice? Or would Sigma Analog be sufficient for amp? I am now using Alpha HC on my poweramp.
If an extra Sigma is not necessary i could without buying an extra Sigma connect my current Sigma Analog on the poweramp and the Alpha HC on the preamp. Would that be a good idea?
Your advice appreciated!
Regards, Gerard
Old 07-06-2016, 06:35 PM

Hi Grant, using a link you mentioned in an other Thread, I got in touch with Richard from Shunyata. And he answered all my questions perfectly! Thanks for your link!
Regards, Gerard