AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 11-18-2022, 12:33 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Default The Amp Camps Amps meet up with Altaira

When I connected up my main system (First Sound preamp and C-J LP70S), and powered up the LP70S the other night, I noticed it a "buzz/hum" in the right channel, which, after literally disconnecting literally everything in the system save for just the CJ amp connected to speakers, I simply could not eliminate. My guess is a tube in the LP70S has gone bad, which seems to be more frequent with tubes these days. Have to now troubleshoot that...urg.

Anyhoo, given that, last night I set up my little Amp Camp amps (aka "ACAs") that Nelson Pass designed, and I built a couple years ago, and connected them to my First Sound dual-mono preamp. I built a pair of these ACAs in 2020 and run them as bridged monos. They were always quite impressive-sounding, even though they're only 15 Wpc of pure Class A power.

They sounded as good as I remembered on their own, but quite frankly, I was blown away when I added my segmented Altaira system (one SG hub specificially for the "digital stack" DAC and ER), and one SG hub for the analog amplification components (specifically preamp and amp) to the ACA-powered system.

Here's a pic of the ACAs and the Altaira(s). The SG Altaira on top of the ACAs is resting on two HRS Nimbus Spacers and Couplers and is the "analog amplification segment", and is connected to the chassis ground terminals of the preamp's main control unit and it's external dual mono power supplies (3 in total). The Amp Camp amps are also connected to this "analog amplification" Altaira using Venom RCA CGCs connected to unused RCA inputs on each each ACA monoblock. The SG Altaira at the back of the photo is dedicated solely to the digital stack, and is connected to the Holo May KTE DAC's unused S/PDIF input and EtherREGEN's ground terminal. Each Altaira is connected at it's 7th terminal using Omega CGCs to separate ground terminals on the Everest power distributor.

Using this this system with the Altairas stripped out so much noise, hash, grunge, and grain from the presentation that it completely transformed the quality and performance of the system powered by these little amps (little yes, but designed by a genius. ). The Altaira system also improved the clarity, imaging, added more air as Ivan observed, and the dynamics and "slam" really improved. Most importantly, the system sounds much more natural, "organic", and involving.

It's always interesting that one often don't realize how much noise is really in a system until it's been removed. And once you hear the system with all that noise, hash, and grunge removed, you can't "go back." It literally does not sound like the same system.

Just remarkable.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-18-2022 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:37 AM
Retired

Well done.

Your statement about the things your system gives you (noise, hash, grunge, grain & more, at whatever level) that you do not realize is there until it is gone is so correct. Putting good isolation under my speakers this week removed 'smear' I did not realize I had. A more 'focused' sound.

You should tell Nelson. He is easy to contact and almost always responds.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-18-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
When I connected up my main system (First Sound preamp and C-J LP70S), and powered up the LP70S the other night, I noticed it a "buzz/hum" in the right channel, which, after literally disconnecting literally everything in the system save for just the CJ amp connected to speakers, I simply could not eliminate. My guess is a tube in the LP70S has gone bad, which seems to be more frequent with tubes these days. Have to now troubleshoot that...urg.

Anyhoo, given that, last night I set up my little Amp Camp amps (aka "ACAs") that Nelson Pass designed, and I built a couple years ago, and connected them to my First Sound dual-mono preamp. I built a pair of these ACAs in 2020 and run them as bridged monos. They were always quite impressive-sounding, even though they're only 15 Wpc of pure Class A power.

They sounded as good as I remembered on their own, but quite frankly, I was blown away when I added my segmented Altaira system (one SG hub specificially for the "digital stack" DAC and ER), and one SG hub for the analog amplification components (specifically preamp and amp) to the ACA-powered system.

Here's a pic of the ACAs and the Altaira(s). The SG Altaira on top of the ACAs is resting on two HRS Nimbus Spacers and Couplers and is the "analog amplification segment", and is connected to the chassis ground terminals of the preamp's main control unit and it's external dual mono power supplies (3 in total). The Amp Camp amps are also connected to this "analog amplification" Altaira using Venom RCA CGCs connected to unused RCA inputs on each each ACA monoblock. The SG Altaira at the back of the photo is dedicated solely to the digital stack, and is connected to the Holo May KTE DAC's unused S/PDIF input and EtherREGEN's ground terminal. Each Altaira is connected at it's 7th terminal using Omega CGCs to separate ground terminals on the Everest power distributor.

Using this this system with the Altairas stripped out so much noise, hash, grunge, and grain from the presentation that it completely transformed the quality and performance of the system powered by these little amps (little yes, but designed by a genius. ). The Altaira system also improved the clarity, imaging, added more air as Ivan observed, and the dynamics and "slam" really improved. Most importantly, the system sounds much more natural, "organic". and involving.

It's always interesting that one often don't realize how much noise is really in a system until it's been removed. And once you hear the system with all that noise, hash, and grunge removed, you can't "go back." It literally does not sound like the same system.

Just remarkable.

This is impressive. As I wrote in a different string., just connecting a $5 home made ground wire from my EtherRegen to my PD’s ground terminal made a “light switch” difference. What you have done uses the full extent or close to it of the Altaira system, well beyond the likely resources of many of us. But a single Altaira chassis ground system with Venom cables might be very doable. Did you try your experiment with just a chassis ground to see the effect along the way to where you ended up? If so, what were the results? If not, I would ask if you might consider doing that and letting us know the results but having now gone “all the way”, maybe you can’t put what you are now hearing back in the bag.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post
This is impressive. As I wrote in a different string., just connecting a $5 home made ground wire from my EtherRegen to my PD’s ground terminal made a “light switch” difference. What you have done uses the full extent or close to it of the Altaira system, well beyond the likely resources of many of us. But a single Altaira chassis ground system with Venom cables might be very doable. Did you try your experiment with just a chassis ground to see the effect along the way to where you ended up? If so, what were the results? If not, I would ask if you might consider doing that and letting us know the results but having now gone “all the way”, maybe you can’t put what you are now hearing back in the bag.
Hey Rob,
As you've discovered from your ER grounding experiment* (and I am so pleased you did this way cool experiment), any improvements one does to reduce ground-plane noise provides audible improvements in the performance and most importantly, "qualities of musical enjoyment" that the system provides. I've mentioned a number of times that the GP-NR system on Shunyata's power distributors was specifically put there for very sound and important reasons, and personally, I've been mystified why so many folks simply don't use it. It really can provide a benefit, as you've found out. For the last couple years before the Altaira system was available, like you, I was using a home-made ground cables with 14 AWG pure copper wire and connecting the ground terminals of EtherREGEN (ER) and also my First Sound Presence Deluxe preamp (which has a proper chassis ground post on the MCU. Thank you, Emmnanuel Go, of First Sound) to the GP-NR binding posts of my Everest. I also installed ground terminals and CGCs on my dual mono external power supplies for the FS pre, for a further reduction in noise.

Technical Side Bar: The reason connecting a ground cable to your EtherREGEN switch's chassis ground terminal to the GP-NR of Everest made such a notable improvement is because "digital-domain" devices often have quite a lot of noise on their ground-planes as it turns out, including a noise component called high-source impedance leakage current†, which can cause threshold jitter and impact timing (which our brains are very sensitive to for music). The GP-NR system reduces this, and other noise components, significantly.

If folks want to go up a notable level in performance, a very affordable way to do this is use the Shunyata Chassis Ground Cables (aka "CGC"). Even the entry-level Venom ground cables provide a big jump in noise reduction over "home-brew" solutions. This is because they are specifically designed and engineered to lower and reduce impedance, which is one of the key factors of ground-plane noise, as well as having excellent-quality connectors.

If one is going to start out with a single Altaira hub for the overall system, the Chassis Ground hub is the specific model to use. All this is very clearly described in the Altaira System Profile Document*. It's very important for folks to read all the Altaira system information thoroughly, and there are a number of documents to read. Then, work with your trained and certified dealer, as Ivan is.

So, here you go. I've gone to the Shunyata web site, downloaded the System Profile Document, gone into the doc, and cut and pasted the two relevant graphics for a standard stereo system set-up into Photoshop, and combined them here for your reference.

And per your specific question: Unequivocally,YES! Just as Ivan has described in his thread, installing a Chassis Ground hub for an overall system will provide a significant reduction in the noise floor, and remove hash, grit, grunge, and grain. But....even more importantly, you'll hear much more natural, accurate, authentic presentation and Altaira will enhance the engaging musical qualities of your system. And, lest we forget, it's about the music. You'll find yourself very "involved" in the musical presentation and it will be hard to tear yourself away. I was just up until 1 AM last night listening to the little ACAs.

I'll be honest with ya on this one....personally, I would go down on the model/specification of the DAC or preamp and put those funds towards an Altaira, instead. In my experience, it's that foundational, just as a good power distributor is. Cheers, Rob!

*–It's important for potential customers to read through all the Altaira foundational and use-case/application information prior to making a decision as to what Altaira hub or "system" to implement. System link here: https://shunyata.com/altairaroadmap/

There is a lot of information here, but it's there for very important reasons and folks, quite simply, need to do their "homework" on this and then work with their trained and certified dealer. Ivan is trained and certified for the Altaira system, and can help out with what will be the best system(s) to implement for your specific system and needs

†–impact of high-source impedance leakage current by John Swenson:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...f?v=1583429386
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-18-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:10 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Well done.

Your statement about the things your system gives you (noise, hash, grunge, grain & more, at whatever level) that you do not realize is there until it is gone is so correct. Putting good isolation under my speakers this week removed 'smear' I did not realize I had. A more 'focused' sound.

You should tell Nelson. He is easy to contact and almost always responds.
Funny how that works!

Yep, I had a similar experience, Glenn, when I put my REL sub on A/V Roomservice EVPs from Norm Varney. The EVPs prevented the sub from coupling resonant energy to the floor, which then couples to the "dry wall" walls. And, dry wall resonates at...70 Hz! So, it's very audible. The EVPs brought a significant improvement because they made the entire room quieter.

Altaira brings similarly profound improvement in the reduction of ground-plane noise from our components and devices. Many "digital-domain only" devices (routers, switches, computers, NAS, network bridges, streamers) are often very noisy, as it turns out. The ubiquitous switch-mode power supply is particularly nasty villain in this "good guys vs bad guys" play...

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-18-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:38 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Stephen… thanks very much for all your input, and endorsement.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 11-18-2022, 06:15 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Stephen… thanks very much for all your input, and endorsement.
Cheers, Ivan!