AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 05-28-2017, 11:12 PM

Default New ELS 13a's On the Way!

Sold my Golden Ear Triton 1's and ordered the ESL 13a's!

I really struggled with this purchase. More $$ for the premium color Basalt Black. And there were some other choices BUT I loved these during my demo. And I've never owned Electrostatics.

My gear consists of a McIntosh C2600 tube preamp and McIntosh MC452.

These should be delivered in about a week or so.

Truly can't wait!

Last edited by Timobi; 02-01-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:37 PM

I'm sure the wait will be worth it. Congratulations
Old 05-28-2017, 11:52 PM

Congrats as those are awesome speakers!!! Remember the pics! FWIW ... The PBK makes a huge difference so something to consider if you didn't already purchase that.

Last edited by gadawg; 05-28-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:06 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Timobi.......Your McIntosh C2600 and MC452 will sound wonderful with the Martin Logan ELS 13a hybrid panels. Looking forward to your review.

Photo: 6moons

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-30-2017, 09:08 PM

Well I don't know if you have heard Logan+Mac but I have. I think you are really gonna likey.

What did you demo them off of and what were the other contenders. I have yet to hear the Masterpiece series but everything I see design wise seems to suggest that ML has addressed what I considered weaknesses in the Summit/montis. I.e. I like the very large cabinets. Gotta believe the bass is going to be smoother
Old 05-30-2017, 09:30 PM

Thank you guys so much! First thats a wonderful pic Dan! Made me get even more anxious to actually have these in home!

yes, pics will be in order.

Timm, I demo'd the ESL 11a's and the B&W 803 D3's. Also heard a pair from Kef but can't remember the model.

Finally demo'd a pair of Magnepan 3.7's..

I came from GoldenEar Triton 1's. I really loved a lot of what they did. Huge sound with excellent bass but over time they grew a tad fatiguing to me. The term 'bright' is over used in audio but these were just on the etched side of things.

In my listening auditions none of these speakers had the bass output that the Tritons had. So this is something that will need addressing. However, the room that Magnolia had was pretty bad. I think I can tweak the settings and achieve better bass. Plus these have the Anthem Room Correction kit to help dial things in.

They hooked up the very gear I own: MC452 and C2600. I just fell in love with the large soundstage and the detail these had. Detail and resolution without any harshness.

I hope to receive these in the next week or so. And will definitely post back my impressions.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:34 PM

^^^

Nice!!

Old 05-30-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
Thank you guys so much! First thats a wonderful pic Dan! Made me get even more anxious to actually have these in home!

yes, pics will be in order.

Timm, I demo'd the ESL 11a's and the B&W 803 D3's. Also heard a pair from Kef but can't remember the model.

Finally demo'd a pair of Magnepan 3.7's..

I came from GoldenEar Triton 1's. I really loved a lot of what they did. Huge sound with excellent bass but over time they grew a tad fatiguing to me. The term 'bright' is over used in audio but these were just on the etched side of things.

In my listening auditions none of these speakers had the bass output that the Tritons had. So this is something that will need addressing. However, the room that Magnolia had was pretty bad. I think I can tweak the settings and achieve better bass. Plus these have the Anthem Room Correction kit to help dial things in.

They hooked up the very gear I own: MC452 and C2600. I just fell in love with the large soundstage and the detail these had. Detail and resolution without any harshness.

I hope to receive these in the next week or so. And will definitely post back my impressions.
Triton's have powered bass, right? I think powered bass speakers are usually a bit over the top...too much bass. Vandersteen model 7 might be the exception. Remember, more bass isn't necessarily better bass

Congrats on your ML's
Old 05-31-2017, 08:41 PM

Would be curious on your 3.7 impressions. I like them a lot and the 20.7 more. What did you like better about the 11a vs 3.7? Even though not a real fair comparison. I find Maggie's to do soundstage very well and wonder if you found the same.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Triton's have powered bass, right? I think powered bass speakers are usually a bit over the top...too much bass. Vandersteen model 7 might be the exception. Remember, more bass isn't necessarily better bass

Congrats on your ML's

Indeed! And to further that the T1s had a tad too much LFE.