AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 06-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Luca, can you swap power cords between the amps and see what happens?
The auditions I've made were performed with THE SAME cables - power, signal and speaker - for each amp. Besides, the difference I've heard goes far beyond changing cables in my opinion!! That much difference is due to the sound of the amps, no matter what cables you use!! Thanks anyway!

Luca
Old 06-24-2012, 01:09 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Luca, well you surely ruled out the variables. Best go with what you hear (as you already know).
Old 06-24-2012, 01:15 PM

Luca...can you remind me what the sensitivity and impedance characteristics are for your Harbeths. On impedance, if you could tell us not only the nominal rating but also what the minimum impedance is and at what frequency the min occurs? These should be in your speaker's manual. It could be that the DSi200 is just mismatched to the speakers. You should definitely go with the integrated amp that emotionally engages you, no matter what you thought going into the auditions. Also please let us know what the specs are on the YBA integrated.

Like everything else, a component can sound great with one set of speakers and awful with another, which is why auditioning is so important.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Luca...can you remind me what the sensitivity and impedance characteristics are for your Harbeths. On impedance, if you could tell us not only the nominal rating but also what the minimum impedance is and at what frequency the min occurs? These should be in your speaker's manual. It could be that the DSi200 is just mismatched to the speakers. You should definitely go with the integrated amp that emotionally engages you, no matter what you thought going into the auditions. Also please let us know what the specs are on the YBA integrated.

Like everything else, a component can sound great with one set of speakers and awful with another, which is why auditioning is so important.
My Harbeth's sensitivity is 81 dB and impedance is 8 Ohms. I have checked the speakers' manual but no info on the minimum impedance and its frequency. However, I also hooked the ARC up to my old Celestion's SL6-Si (8 ohms, 84 dB sensitivity). It sounded better, but still very far from the performance of the YBA Passion 300 Integrated. ARC's sound is good, but it lacks the magic, warmth and transparency of the YBA. Looks like in MY system, for my taste, the YBA is a killer amp very hard to beat...I had never felt this drawn into the music as I have with the YBA. I'll keep you posted on round two!

P.S. Check my next post, too. I forgot about the YBA specs!!

Last edited by Luca74; 06-24-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post

As for the specs on the YBA integrated, it is a 100 watter on 8 Ohms (170 Watts on 4 ohms), features dual transformers and has a particular volume control. It is an attenuator circuit achieved by a relay-controlled resistor array. The resistors are custom-made. Their performance (1W, 1% tolerance) enhances sound purity and transparency.

I agree with the importance of in-home auditioning. However, I get the feeling I'd end up liking the YBA better even if I tried 10 different sets of speakers. It's a whole different sound from the ARC...
Old 06-24-2012, 02:46 PM

Luca...you should definitely go with the YBA and the sound that pulls you into the music and keeps you emotionally engaged. That is what this hobby is about. Everything else is meaningless. It could very well be that the DSi200 is not for you. I have not heard any of ARC's DS amps but I can tell you that ARC's tube-based products are amazing. And it also sounds like certain AAers (Mike and microstrip) have mated the DS450 power amps with ARC's tube preamps to reintroduce some flesh on the bones and some warmth. If you are still in the mood of giving ARC a shot, I would ask your dealer if he has an ARC VSi60 integrated amp to try:

I don't think you will find it lacking in warmth. It will sound very detailed yet liquid smooth and very 3-dimensional. Having said that, as I said before, if YBA is doing it for you, then you have found your amp and all you have to do is sit down and enjoy the music
Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM

The ARC VSi60 integrated amp is a great suggestion!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks again guys for your suggestions! I had already thought about the ARC VSi60 (that dealer has it in his shop) but I didn't go for it because I thought - and still think - that 60 W might not be enough considering my speakers' low sensitivity. I am sure that ARC valves products sound very warm: I had actually asked the dealer if he had some used valve ARC's...he doesn't. I loved the YBA sound so much that I'll give the DSi200 one last try on Wednesday and, if it still sounds the same, I'll definitely go for the YBA and won't look back! I'll let you know..

Luca
Old 06-24-2012, 08:58 PM

Luca,

You've had a great opportunity to try at home two very good integrated amps. Looks like the YBA is the one for you. As both Randy and Cyril wrote before, go for the YBA if that's the one that is pleasing you the most.

Enjoy the music!

Mike
Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 AM

My current ownership of the REF 210 and REF5 SE leads me to believe that Luca will not get what he is looking for even from ARC tube gear.

Compared to the ARC, my Ayon Triton gives a warmer, more organic yet transparent sound in my system. The difference is very clear when the amps are swapped.

I guess for my taste, and I think Lucas's, ARC may not be the ideal gear.