AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 11-11-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jim...enjoy. looking forward to your listening impressions. Would love to hear your thoughts on the Elipsa SEs, the REF 250s, and the Wadia S7i
Cyril
I will post about last nights event after I work in the yard a bit this morning.
Jim
Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Cyril
I will post about last nights event after I work in the yard a bit this morning.
Jim
Old 11-11-2011, 03:09 PM

I have been to around 8 or 9 of these Paragon events over the last couple years and I must say that last evenings was one of the more enjoyable. It was not just the fine gear (no pun intended) but also the individuals who were there representing their products. These gentlemen not only knew their products they also know their music.
Discussing their products were Dave Gordon from Audio Research. David Watson, Midwest Regional Sales Manager and John Schaffer, President of Wadia Digital . Alan Haggar, Midwest Regional Sales Manager of Sumiko, and John Hunter of Fine Sounds (former President and CEO of Sumiko and the designer of the REL Gibralter 1’s and 2’s)
The three rooms were set-up as follows.
Room 1- Audio Research L17 & VS115, Wadia 381 & Sonus Faber Liuto’s.
Room 2 – Audio Research L27 & Ref 150, Wadia S7i & Sonus Faber Elipsa Special Editions with one Rel G2
Room 3 – Audio Research Ref 5 & Ref 250 , Wadia Series 9 system & Sonus Faber Futura’s with two Rel G1’s.

Room 2 sounded very good. I have always liked the Elipsa’s and the new SE version is a nice upgrade. I was very surprised at how well the Elpisa’s did on a demonstration drum track. It was so well recorded that I thought the mid range drivers were going to get blown out of the cabinet.

Well, in Room 3 I finally heard the Futura’s sound good. I was fortunate to get the prime seat for this demo so I benefited from all of the work done to set up the Futura’s and integrate them with the paired G1’s. John Hunter played some great cuts but none more impressive than one where Paul McCartney was laying down an initial guitar and vocal track mistakes and all.

Although the Series 9 decoding computer is a bit rich for my blood I think I will bring home a Wadia S7i and see how it compares to my MCD-1100.

Spent time with both Chuck and Doug at the event, it is nice to have other Aficionado’s at these events. It sound like Mike and Franks will also be attending next weeks McIntosh event.

Jim
Old 11-11-2011, 03:20 PM

Jim...thanks for the update. Did you catch the pricing on the new Elipsa SEs and the Wadia S7i? On the Elipsa SEs, what is the difference from the prior model beyond the red violin finish? Also, on the S7is, was that being run as a disc spinner or via digital inputs (and which)? Wondering if you heard it through USB and if that did a good job. Thx
Old 11-11-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jim...thanks for the update. Did you catch the pricing on the new Elipsa SEs and the Wadia S7i? On the Elipsa SEs, what is the difference from the prior model beyond the red violin finish? Also, on the S7is, was that being run as a disc spinner or via digital inputs (and which)? Wondering if you heard it through USB and if that did a good job. Thx
Cyril
I think they said the List was $23,500 for the Elipsa SE's. Besides the Red Violin color, they have added the Strads tweeter and reworked the crossovers. Those are the main differences that I remember.

The S7i was used to spin some discs Alan brought. (really good selections too) No they did not have a computer any other devices connected for last evenings event. At this time it handles up to 24/96b but that will change next year. They will have a stand alone DAC out shortly that will do what you want for around $1500. Should be outstanding based on their technology.

Jim
Old 11-11-2011, 05:08 PM
That's a Deusy !

This business model is a very good one. It would behoove other Hi Fi Shops in SE Michigan to follow it.
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 11-11-2011, 08:14 PM

As usual Jim is spot on with his analysis of last nights event. It is always nice to see a friendly face and see and hear all the great gear in a excellent setting. I too was impressed with the Wadia S7i and have set up some time to listen further next week. Thanks Jim and Chuck its been a pleasure to meet both of you. Doug
Old 11-11-2011, 09:24 PM

Jim and Doug it was great to see you last night... Jim's review is exactly how I felt. One of the best sessions I've attended. Paragon knows how to put on a great session. Not to mention their selection of audio equipment on hand is excellent.

2CH: D’Agostino Momentum's, Audio Research REF40, Wilson Alexia's, SME 30/2, ARC REF2 SE, Meridian 808V5, Transparent REF XL

HT: B&W 800Ds, HTM1D, B&W 802N, (2) Mc 601's MC 303, (2) JL F113s, Meridian 861V8, Sony VPL-VW500ES 4K projector, 120" Stewart SST 130, Oppo 93, 65 inch Panasonic.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
.... I was very surprised at how well the Elpisa’s did on a demonstration drum track. It was so well recorded that I thought the mid range drivers were going to get blown out of the cabinet.

Jim
Jim, Elipsa's for a second system ???
Old 11-12-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Jim, Elipsa's for a second system ???
David, if I was thinking about a second system the Elipsa SE's would be right there. They sound as good as they look.

Jim