Old 12-31-2019, 10:13 AM
Life is beautiful

All very good suggestions.
I own quite a few of them.

I'll add the following.

Blu-ray:

CD-box:

SACD:

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-31-2019, 10:50 AM

I have multiple copies of Beethoven's 'big ones' (3, 5 & 9). My favorites on CD/SACD are
1. No 3: Gunter Wand, North German Radio Symphony, RCA 60755-2-RC. I would probably buy his complete set if I had to choose one.
2. No 5 (& No 7): Carlos Kleiber, Vienna Philharmonic, DG 447 400-2 (CD) or DG 471-6302 (CD/SACD). This is arguably the most famous classical recording in the catalog, classical music's 'Kind of Blue.'
3. No 9: Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic, DG 474 605-2 (CD/SACD) - remaster of 1963 performance.
Also: Daniel Barenboim, West-Eastern Divan Orchestra, Warner Classics 2564 63927-2.
I generally prefer the earlier Beethoven recordings to more recent ones played at faster tempos by smaller ensembles, often using period instruments.

Last edited by GSOphile; 12-31-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:19 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations. I am far from a Beethoven aficionado so I'll start with a complete set. I was perusing the internet and found a brand new 1963 cycle of Beethoven's Symphonies by Herbert von Karajan and the Berliner Philharmoniker on Deutsche Grammophon that was recommended by Stephen on Ebay. (Thanks Stephen)

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:29 PM

All great recordings and have them all...there is a new out there too to check out. Andris Nelsons and Vienna

https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Com.../dp/B07TJKC26B
Old 12-31-2019, 04:24 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Thanks for all the recommendations. I am far from a Beethoven aficionado so I'll start with a complete set. I was perusing the internet and found a brand new 1963 cycle of Beethoven's Symphonies by Herbert von Karajan and the Berliner Philharmoniker on Deutsche Grammophon that was recommended by Stephen on Ebay. (Thanks Stephen)

Glad it worked out for you, Paul. I agree with Tim that there a lot of good versions of the symphonies, but I think to get started, you will be very happy with the DG 1963 cycle. Please let us know what you think once you get familiar with them.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Glad it worked out for you, Paul. I agree with Tim that there a lot of good versions of the symphonies, but I think to get started, you will be very happy with the DG 1963 cycle. Please let us know what you think once you get familiar with them.
I sure will Stephen. Thanks again to all for the recommendations. Who knows, I might try to become an aficionado of the 9 symphonies and try all of your recommendations.

Happy New Year ������ to all.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Last edited by Audiophilehi; 12-31-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
That is a fantastic cycle to hear first!
Old 12-31-2019, 09:23 PM

3 and 6, oh the 3 and Six. Played 'em all to death back in the day, but you have started at the very top. I had to make do and mend with the Karajan '74 recordings.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:17 PM

Enjoyed the CD box set and now just picked up the vinyl box.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:54 PM

Default The best recordings of Beethoven's Symphonies 1-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post

If you truly want the best recording of each symphony, choose individual performances. No single conductor is the best for all of them. This approach will expose you to a variety of performances and interpretations. Perhaps you'll learn more about Beethoven and gain a greater appreciation for his greatness.

You can google "best recordings of beethoven symphonies". This will take you out of the audiophile world and into the musical world. Also you can ask folks here to suggest the best recording for each. It's okay to go for a vinyl only, digital, or mix. If you use a streaming service that will let you sample. Across these choices I suspect you'll find some smattering of consensus or winnowing down to 3-4 recording for each symphony. While there is no single conductor set that is the best for all, the best for you may be the set you build yourself.

Much agree with this approach. That is exactly what I did. Very happy to find that I already "owned" all of them (via Qobuz) and just added them to my favorites.

And for those that use Roon, you can create your own cycle. You do so by creating Playlist to include the 9 Symphonies with your favorite version of each symphony.