AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Music Reviews

Music Reviews All formats welcome!

Old 03-01-2019, 12:34 AM
Go Dawgs

Default Boston - The Discography - The Audiophile Reviews

I've been out of town a bit lately, so I haven't posted any reviews since Bob Dylan's self titled (non-audiophile!) record. I'll keep going with the Bs and go to everyone's favorite "corporate" rock band Boston. I've always loved their self titled debut album, it's dynamic, explosive in parts and has really stood the test of time although it has been somewhat overplayed. I've heard numerous versions of it including the standard redbook CD, the original vinyl, the Sony "gold" disc released in the early 90's (I think) and the version for this review, the original single layer Sony SACD. I still think this version sounds the best out of the one's I've heard with an original vinyl press close behind. This SACD is from Sony's early years when great care was taken with the masterings and it shows here, so let's check it out. I haven't played this disc yet on my system, looking forward to it.

Boston - Self Titled, 1976, Epic Records
Review version - 2000 Sony single layer SACD, mastered by Mark Wilder for Sony music

From Wikipedia: Boston was primarily recorded at Scholz's own Foxglove Studios in Watertown in "an elaborate end run around the CBS brain trust." Epic wanted a studio version that sounded identical to the demo tape, and Scholz decided he could not work in a production studio, having adapted to home recording for several years, stating "I work[ed] alone, and that was it." Scholz took a leave of absence from Polaroid, and was gone for several months to record the band's album. "I would wake up every day and go downstairs and start playing," he recalled. Scholz grew annoyed reproducing the parts, being forced to use the same equipment used on the demo. The basement, located in a lower-middle-class neighborhood on School Street, was described by Scholz as a "tiny little space next to the furnace in this hideous pine-paneled basement of my apartment house, and it flooded from time to time with God knows what." There was a Hammond organ and a Leslie speaker stuffed in the corner of the room alongside the drums; whenever it was time to record the organ parts, they would tear the drums down and pull out the Leslie. Boylan felt that while Scholz's guitars "sounded amazing," he did not understand how to properly record acoustic instruments, and flew in engineer Paul Grupp to instruct him on microphone technique.

1. More Than A Feeling - The first thing that stands out here is smooth smooth smooth, there is absolutely no trace of digital harshness or edginess whatsoever, it really reminds me of a very very quiet analog pressing. The only difference is that the vinyl sounds a bit more 3 dimensional, but the SACD is close and checks all the other boxes. I've heard this song so many times in so many places, it's a breath of fresh air to hear the dynamics of Tom Scholz's guitar come screaming out of a high end loudspeaker. I'd turn it up louder but the girls are asleep upstairs. The soundstage is very wide and for a mid 70's mainstream rock recording, it doesn't get a whole lot better than this.

2. Peace of Mind - Listen for the subtle bass line backing this song, it's there but doesn't stand in the forefront of the recording. This is also a better showcase for the great guitar solos you hear on Boston's records, especially hallway through where you really get the screaming guitar. The really neat thing on this track is following the baseline throughout the song that otherwise gets lost when you hear it on radio etc.

3. Foreplay/Long Time [DEMO] - This is such a great intro with the keyboards coming in followed by the cymbals, bass and finally lead guitar. This is a fantastic track that showcases instrument separation that you usually don't hear on most rock recordings. Of course there is the quiet "pause" as the song builds up to the main event. Listen for the bass guitar lead as the lead comes in a few seconds later. You'll also hear the hand claps coming from the middle of the soundstage, they should be crisp, clear but not too loud compared to the rest of the music. Brad Delp's rhythm guitar can be heard recorded in both the left and the right channel right before the chorus. When the guitar solo kicks in, it sound atmospheric and very dynamic. This is an immensely fun track to demo on a great system, I need to crank this up during the day to see what some volume can really do.

4. Rock & Roll Band - Good sounding song, but not as dynamic and interesting as the first 3 songs. Brad Delp sounds a bit flatter and more 2 dimensional as well. The guitar parts are still worth a listen as they all are on this album.

6. Hitch a Ride - [DEMO] Interesting recording here, vocals are a bit panned to the right channel with the drums sounding powerful right in the center of the soundstage. Toward the end of the song, the lead guitar solo sounds just fantastic with all sorts of dynamics and detail, one of my favorite Boston guitar solos of all time. On a good system, the guitar should really fill up your room. This isn't the best demo track in the world, but I really love the way the guitar solo sounds on this song, so I'll include it as a demo track, just something about the way it sounds does it for me I guess.

8. Let Me Take You Home Tonight - This album wraps up with a medium tempo song which highlights Brad Delp's vocals. His voice is smooth and centered, this is probably the best track highlighting vocals on the album, but the guitar work still takes center stage even on this song. The harmonies are just great and really bring the song together. You can clearly hear both singing together and can imagine both singing into an imaginary microphone between your speakers!

What a great album, it's too bad that not everyone can hear all this album has to offer on a great system. I'm a little torn between my memory of the original vinyl vs. the SACD here, I remember the vinyl being slightly more 3 dimensional but not having the smooth liquid sound that the Sony SACD does. I should pop in the Sony special edition gold CD just for fun to see what that sounds like. As far as material, the highlight far and away is Foreplay/Long Time, for a rock recording, this track has pretty much everything. If you want to show off your system and they like classic rock, it's not going to get much better than this song and what it has to offer. No, it doesn't have an "audiophile" pedigree like those you hear at shows, but it sounds really nice. Hitch a Ride isn't too bad either, but here I just love the way the guitar sounds during the solo, very lifelike. All in all, a really fun album to listen to, turn it up loud if you can and be impressed and the musicianship of this debut. Highly recommended!

Audiophile Rating: 5/10 (overall sonics)
Demo Rating: 25% 2/8 (number of cool demo tracks/tracks on album)
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 03-01-2019, 03:55 AM
Penuriophile

Cool, I didn't know an SACD version of BOSTON existed.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Racing Hoopties

Nicely done again Buck. I have a DSD version of this album and it sounds incredible. Much better than my memory of the LP. Of course that was on a garage like setup and involved lots of outside influences.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-01-2019, 09:22 AM

Great review.

I’ve got the SACD and sounds really good.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:50 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustycat View Post
Great review.

I’ve got the SACD and sounds really good.
Many of the original Sony SACDs sound really good, I have several of these plus a few of their original classical releases. I’ve always wanted to stumble on a copy of Aerosmith’s Rocks.....there were very few of those discs made, I’ve seen them go for close to $1000 on the used market due to their scarcity.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 03-01-2019, 08:55 PM

I was a junior in college when this album came out. It brings back lots of great memories. We played it cranked up to unimaginable volumes.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgens View Post
I was a junior in college when this album came out. It brings back lots of great memories. We played it cranked up to unimaginable volumes.

I was a senior in high school. Saw their first tour at the Cow Palace (San Francisco area). They were great, but ran out of songs and played at least one song twice!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 11-29-2019, 08:52 PM

Always a great album for just chilling and relaxing.
I was lucky enough to recently pick up an original MoFi vinyl pressing.
Really awesome. I have the gold CD but not the SACD. I have not compared them since I no longer have any digital source in my big rig.

Mike S.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:30 AM

Reminds me of my freshman year at UT drinking 50 cent beers at The Last Lap. The Last Lap gone and beers have gone up significantly.

Thanks for the review.
Allnic H3000/CJ ET5/Mcintosh 501's
Thiel CS3.6
Thiel CS6
MIT EVO 2 IC
Straightwire Maestro II SC
Shunyata Denali SV2
Shunyata Sigma XC
Wywires Juice PC’s
Kubala Sosna PC’s
Dedicated 20 amp lines
Porter Ports