AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Music Reviews

Music Reviews All formats welcome!

Old 01-07-2019, 12:55 AM
Go Dawgs

Default Aerosmith - The Discography - The Audiophile Reviews

Staying in roughly alphabetical order, we'll start off the Aerosmith thread with a look at their self titled eponymous debut album. A much different listen than their more popular efforts in the 1980's and 90's.....it's very interesting to hear how Steven Tyler's voice has changed since way back then. So is there any audiophile qualities to be heard on their debut record? Let's check it out.

Aerosmith - Self Titled, 1973, Columbia Records
Review version - 2013 vinyl remaster mastered by Ryan Smith @ Sterling Sound

From Wikipedia - Aerosmith is the eponymous debut studio album by American rock band Aerosmith, released on January 5, 1973 by Columbia Records.[2] The song "Walkin' the Dog" is a cover of a song originally performed by Rufus Thomas. The single "Dream On" became an American top ten single when re-released in 1976; it had first been released as a single in 1973. The album peaked at number 21 on the US Billboard 200 Chart in 1976. After entering a partnership with Frank Connelly, David Krebs and Steve Leber invited members of two record labels – Atlantic Records and Columbia Records – to view an Aerosmith concert at Max's Kansas City. Clive Davis, the president of Columbia, was impressed with the band and Aerosmith signed with Columbia in the summer of 1972.

Classic Rock Review - http://www.classicrockreview.com/201...973-aerosmith/

1. Make It - This is a surprisingly full sounding and smooth first track, the bass is fairly deep, soundstage wide with the cymbals sounding very natural with a good amount of shimmer. Steven's voice has a hollow almost live sound to it. Nowhere near audiophile quality, but from top to bottom a very analog sound to it.

2. Somebody - Tyler's voice is cleaned up substantially from the first track, it's nicely centered dead in the middle of the soundstage. Although nowhere near demonstration quality, this is a pretty good example of what Tyler's voice sounds like on an upbeat bluesy rock n roll tune before it was put through the ringer of the rock lifestyle I guess.

3. Dream On - What a classic song.......Tyler's voice is a bit thinner here, but Joe Perry's guitar really growls out of the right channel just to the outside of the boundary of the speaker. The soundstage is remarkably wide on this song. One of those songs where I'd love to hear it get the MOFI treatment, but still a decent listen.

5. Mama Kin - The saxophone makes it's debut in this song, a fun up tempo song covered numerous times, notoriously live by Guns N Roses in the pseudo-unreleased EP Live Like a Suicide. Sound quality wise not a lot to write home about other than a solid foot tapping good time.

6. Write Me - Tyler breaks out the harmonica halfway through this track over wide in the left channel. For some reason I've always loved this song, you can almost imagine yourself in a small smoky club, watching the band tear through this song with people dancing, smoking and crowding a small stage....seriously, listen to this, close your eyes and you can see it. Trust me.

8. Walkin' The Dog [DEMO] - This song really has a nice smooth and somewhat loud bass line providing the foundation for the track. It's much more powerful than the bass line on any other song. This is actually a pretty good example of the bass providing the rhythm and pace for a medium tempo bluesy rock n roll tune. I like it, it's fun but mean at the same time. Tyler's voice is ever so slightly harsher on this song, so for an audio system, the bass line is it.

So let's be perfectly honest, no one's breaking out Aerosmith's first album to show off their system.....even though it is mastered quite well and easy to listen to, there really isn't any reason to pull this out when showing off your Magico loudspeakers if you know what I mean. My commentary on the individual tracks is fairly sparse since there were really no wow moments throughout the album. I feel like I'm even being generous noting that you could play Walkin' The Dog for a demonstration of a rock n roll bass line, but that being said, it's a really fun album to listen to and the musical talent that would show up in later more critically acclaimed albums is evident. I rated it a 4/10 and not lower due mostly to the mastering job which makes it sound quite analog and non-compressed. If nothing else, turn down the lights, turn up the volume, close your eyes and crank up Dream On to be transported back to the early 70's.

Audiophile Rating: 4/10 (overall sonics)
Demo Rating: 12% 1/8 (number of cool demo tracks/tracks on album)
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3

Last edited by audioguy3107; 01-17-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:46 PM
Go Dawgs

Wow, no love for the boys from Boston?????
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 01-07-2019, 06:57 PM

Other than the afternoon I spent with Susan in high school listening to this album for the first time ......
Old 01-07-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Other than the afternoon I spent with Susan in high school listening to this album for the first time ......
Old 01-07-2019, 07:15 PM

Listening to Toys in the Attic right now actually.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:52 PM

Personally their best album.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
I can only imagine........
Old 01-07-2019, 10:55 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Buck,
Thanks for another great review. My wife and I both enjoy Aerosmith. I have an original SACD of Toys in the Attic and we just listened to it this past weekend. She's a Aerosmith fan so it's always a fun to crank that one up to real-life. I made myself a note to dim the lights and give your review album a spin this weekend. I know we'll both enjoy it.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:17 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
Buck,
Thanks for another great review. My wife and I both enjoy Aerosmith. I have an original SACD of Toys in the Attic and we just listened to it this past weekend. She's a Aerosmith fan so it's always a fun to crank that one up to real-life. I made myself a note to dim the lights and give your review album a spin this weekend. I know we'll both enjoy it.
Terry - Thanks for the kind words, don’t expect an audiophile explosion from this album, but it’s still a fun listen. I cut my teeth on early 70’s Aerosmith way back in middle school and still love it....looking forward to doing this with Get Your Wings and Rocks especially!

- Buck
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 AM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Back in the 70's we saw Aerosmith in concert in Atlanta and then the same show back in Knoxville a couple months later. Crazy but sure was fun. We still crank up the volume when an Aerosmith tune comes on the radio.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.