AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Music Reviews

Music Reviews All formats welcome!

Old 02-22-2016, 12:21 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Ivan - Good idea....would it be possible to change the thread title to reflect what we've suggested (at least artist, album title, vinyl, HD Track, etc if you can tell of course). I just posted an example of a review I did. Keeping it neat and tidy would be greatly helpful for readers.

- Buck
Buck... it is possible.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 02-22-2016, 12:48 AM

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes A dream come true.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:57 PM

This is a fantastic thread and clueless as to why no one is chiming in and taking advantage of a forward thinking idea for this AA forum that Ivan created. Come on guys... post your reviews!

Alright, here goes mine.

I've been texting my friend Bill [o0OBillO0o] about my experiences listening to Vinyl versus LP. Particularly, 1st edtion LPs from the 70s/80s/90s.

Tonight I have been listing to a recent purchase arrival => David Bowie: Diamond Dogs LP 1974 [1st edition pressing]

Favourit Track: "Chant of Ever Circling Skeletal Family Lyrics"
My favourit lyric paragraph:

"Brother, ooh ooh
Shake it up, shake it up
Move it up, move it up"

There isn't much to say other than the music is still ahead of its time. I don't know how to react other than go "weeeeee". Gawd, it's great album.

While I was listening to the musi I decided to pull out my CD edition and have been snapping between LP and CD to hear the mastering differences. Gasp, the LP sounds to me so much better.

The way I can describe listeing to the CD is like licking an ice cream cone and listening to the LP is like chewing on beef jerky. The CD sounds good, but it's lifeless by compared to the LP. When listening to the vinyl I feel like I am devouring the experience. I am sinking my teeth into the music and violently eating it as if I am starving. The CD, meh...I'll just lick...yawn, boring.

*mic drop*

Last edited by Golucid; 02-29-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:23 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
This is a fantastic thread and clueless as to why no one is chiming in and taking advantage of a forward thinking idea for this AA forum that Ivan created. Come on guys... post your reviews!

Alright, here goes mine.

I've been texting my friend Bill [o0OBillO0o] about my experiences listening to Vinyl versus LP. Particularly, 1st edtion LPs from the 70s/80s/90s.

Tonight I have been listing to a recent purchase arrival => David Bowie: Diamond Dogs LP 1974 [1st edition pressing]

There isn't much to say other than the music is still ahead of its time. I don't know how to react other than go "weeeeee". Gawd, it's great album.

While I was listening to the musi I decided to pull out my CD edition and have been snapping between LP and CD to hear the mastering differences. Gasp, the LP sounds to me so much better.

The way I can describe listeing to the CD is like licking an ice cream cone and listening to the LP is like chewing on beef jerky. The CD sounds good, but it's lifeless by compared to the LP. When listening to the vinyl I feel like I am devouring the experience. I am sinking my teeth into the music and violently eating it as if I am starving. The CD, meh...I'll just lick...yawn, boring.

*mic drop*
David... Thank you for your review and your analogies.

Music is mastered for the medium. Vinyl is very special, and takes many considerations and technical limitations. Engineers have to know what they are doing when they cut the record from the analog tape. Digital has very little limitations compared Tape and LP records, still it's discrete nature doesn't appeal to fans of LP (Along with the continuous nature of analog recording mediums.)

The master that is located on the LP's, you own, can be transferred to the digital domain with almost neglible loss. Simply record your records with a high quality recorder and put them on the AK240 or any other well built digital media device & enjoy

I'll have to dig into the Bowie albums you raved about.

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 02-28-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
I'll have to dig into the Bowie albums you raved about.
Bill...you will not have to dig far.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Music is mastered for the medium. Vinyl is very special, and takes many considerations and technical limitations. Engineers have to know what they are doing when they cut the record from the analog tape. Digital has very little limitations compared Tape and LP records, still it's discrete nature doesn't appeal to fans of LP (Along with the continuous nature of analog recording mediums.)
Folks, Bill is the one that educated me about LP, CD and various other mastering. I had no idea until he enlightened me. It all makes sense now!
Old 02-28-2016, 11:46 PM
Rebellious!

David... I have to thank Monty over at MIT and xiph.org for his help. I learned from him.

Here's a snippet

Quote:
I've run across a few articles and blog posts that declare the virtues of 24 bit or 96/192kHz by comparing a CD to an audio DVD (or SACD) of the 'same' recording. This comparison is invalid; the masters are usually different.
The whole page is a real eye opener. 24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed
Old 02-28-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
David... I have to thank Monty over at MIT and xiph.org for his help. I learned from him.

Here's a snippet

The whole page is a real eye opener. 24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed
+1
Old 02-29-2016, 12:05 AM

David Bowie: Young Americans Vinyl 1st edition mint/1975 [Cleaned it through my ClearAudio Double Matrix Sonic].

A mix of rock at subtle levels and soulful. In fact, I think this album was dubbed plastic soul? What I really like about this sonic installation is just how breathy Bowie is. Unlike his installations prior, this one seems to explore breath...a mix of bold statements and whispers. He plays with being soft spoken and sharp aggressive voice. I really dig it.

My favourit track: 'WIN'
My favourit lyric paragraph:

"Me, I'm fresh on your pages
Secret thinker sometimes listening aloud
Life lies dumb on it's heroes
Wear your wound with honor, make someone proud
Someone like you should not be allowed
To start any fires"

Last edited by Golucid; 02-29-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:17 AM
Rebellious!

David.. You're looking younger in every post.