AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 03-16-2023, 10:15 PM

Exactly what I was looking for, I’ll play with it and see if I notice anything with the center image but from the first song I played with the wavelet 2 I noticed how totally focused the center image was.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:49 PM

I sent an email to legacy to ask about the omnio feature but in the meantime I’ve been toggling it between omnio and omnio +. Omnio sounds great. It just saturates the room with music while holding the center image. Very happy with this upgrade
Old 03-26-2023, 09:50 PM

Default Legacy Wavelet II

Today the house was quiet so I sat down and put on some music. The new wavlet 2 sounds more relaxed and the detail is just right. Maybe the unit has burned in a little. More likely, I quit fiddling with adjustments and just let the music play without trying to decipher what differences I think I hear. The bottom line is I’m still thrilled with my Aeris speakers. The new wavlet kicked everything I love about them up another notch. At some point I will try running straight into the onboard dac just to hear what in can do but I’m too busy enjoying the sweet music using my preamp before the wavlet. James from Legacy confirmed what SCaudiophile said about the omnio setting. Not sure mechanically how it works but it does open up the soundstage and just sounds great overall.

Last edited by Rick U; 03-26-2023 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:46 AM

Glad you are enjoying it!
Old 03-29-2023, 12:08 AM

Default Aeris/Wavelet

As a relatively new Aeris owner, I have to agree with Rick. I upgraded from a pair of Raidho D-3.1s and, as much as I loved the Raidhos, the Wavelet has made a huge difference in my (somewhat challenging) room. I also upgraded my power supply (Plixir) for the Wavelet and found that it made a nice improvement.
Old 03-29-2023, 06:59 PM

Default Legacy Wavelet II

Mitchel did you get the wavelet 2 or the standard wavelet?

Edit. I see you have the wavelet 2.

Last edited by Rick U; 03-29-2023 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2023, 03:13 PM

@SCAudiophile
Hi, I followed your journey for long time. I had Focus SE for almost 6 years. I've
upgraded to Aeris with Wavelet 2 and was super satisfied with sound. There was option to buy 1 old Valors with Wavelet 2 so based on your experience I've pulled the trigger. But with Valors I have some issues. First at same Volume set on Wavelet they play 12dB quieter than Aeris. Aeris have 95,4dB sensitivity and Valors have 100,5dB. It can not be that with same digital input signal, with same amps on same Wavelet volume level Valors plays 12dB quieter than Aeris. Mates with Valors do you experience same issue?
What volume you have set on Wavelet when you use analogue input (external Preamp)?
Thanks for help
Old 04-21-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin3579 View Post
@SCAudiophile
Hi, I followed your journey for long time. I had Focus SE for almost 6 years. I've
upgraded to Aeris with Wavelet 2 and was super satisfied with sound. There was option to buy 1 old Valors with Wavelet 2 so based on your experience I've pulled the trigger. But with Valors I have some issues. First at same Volume set on Wavelet they play 12dB quieter than Aeris. Aeris have 95,4dB sensitivity and Valors have 100,5dB. It can not be that with same digital input signal, with same amps on same Wavelet volume level Valors plays 12dB quieter than Aeris. Mates with Valors do you experience same issue?
What volume you have set on Wavelet when you use analogue input (external Preamp)?
Thanks for help
Hello, it is very good to meet you...

I did not experience that issue with Valor itself. A few basic questions,...

- what is your preamp (curiosity on my part)?

- how are you measuring the -12db difference? By the numeric display on Wavelet and/or your pre-amp or with a proper SPL meter?

- if gently used, were these speakers and matching Wavelet v2 obtained from a private party seller or dealer? I ask only insofar as your ability to ask questions and ascertain history. If they were new then obviously no need to determine that info...

- Have you checked the "manual channel levels" page on the Wavelet UI/User Console web app found under the Settings => Setup panels? Are they all set to 0db (adjustment)?

- Did you run the room measurement sweeps after getting Valor/Wavelet2 setup? After the upload to the Bohmer site, did you see typical multiple numbers of passes for each channel and did it take several minutes per channel to complete or did it "fall through the computational passes" far too quickly?

- after booting up Wavelet and before running the measurement sweeps and microphone captures, did you "ping channels" for left speaker and then repeat for the right channel? This is not mandatory however I like to run the mic captures after a fresh reboot of Wavelet (v1 or v2) and then pinging channels just before. Did the output from the ping channels sound normal and more or less even across all drivers? The tweeter array and concentric tweeter outputs will sound a bit higher to the ear, that is normal.

- Any warnings on channel levels submitted for room calibration after uploading the files?

- Any error or warning messages at the end of the calculations?

To answer your question, I have not run into this big difference of output.

I only use an external transport and DAC with separate preamps; I do not use Wavelet as the "all in one" box that it can be as I prefer my DACs and preamp so I am always using Wavelet with a XLR analog input.

(Are you using XLR inputs or RCA from your pre out of curiosity?)

I run my room sweeps/mic captures with a setting of "85" on Wavelet as I have with AERIS, CaliberXD+Foundation (all Wavelet v1) and Valor (Wavelet v1 and v2).

My run-time volume for Wavelet is 82.9 or 83.1 (depending upon where I hear 'the click' and change of noise floor when walking the Wavelet volume control down from 85 (or other higher levels). This has always been my setting with Wavelet v1 for the past 2 setups. With AERIS I think I was able to run with a couple tenths of a db higher (on Wavelet display). This is the equivalent of a "unity gain" setting as I utilize my external pre-amp for all volume control.

Hope this helps....

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 04-21-2023 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:31 AM

SCAudiophile; Hello, it is very good to meet you...

Hi,
I've put answer next to your questions

I did not experience that issue with Valor itself. A few basic questions,...

- what is your preamp (curiosity on my part)? measurements was done using usb input on Wavelet from Apple Mac Mini running REW application, full range pink noise -20dBFS

- how are you measuring the -12db difference? By the numeric display on Wavelet and/or your pre-amp or with a proper SPL meter? I've measured at my listening position with Apple Watch Ultra (I know it's not 100% precise but for comparison is enough and they were consistent through several attempts)
Valor
Wavelet 60 - 52dB
Wavelet 65 - 58dB
Wavelet 70 - 62dB

Aeris
Wavelet 60 - 64dB
Wavelet 65 - 69dB
Wavelet 70 - 74dB

- if gently used, were these speakers and matching Wavelet v2 obtained from a private party seller or dealer? I ask only insofar as your ability to ask questions and ascertain history. If they were new then obviously no need to determine that info... from dealer

- Have you checked the "manual channel levels" page on the Wavelet UI/User Console web app found under the Settings => Setup panels? Are they all set to 0db (adjustment)? yes they were set to 0

- Did you run the room measurement sweeps after getting Valor/Wavelet2 setup? After the upload to the Bohmer site, did you see typical multiple numbers of passes for each channel and did it take several minutes per channel to complete or did it "fall through the computational passes" far too quickly? yes, same with Aeris and it took couple of minutes

- after booting up Wavelet and before running the measurement sweeps and microphone captures, did you "ping channels" for left speaker and then repeat for the right channel? This is not mandatory however I like to run the mic captures after a fresh reboot of Wavelet (v1 or v2) and then pinging channels just before. Did the output from the ping channels sound normal and more or less even across all drivers? The tweeter array and concentric tweeter outputs will sound a bit higher to the ear, that is normal.
This test I haven't done but I didn't recognize differences of pink noise between Valor and Aeris just 12dB drop of Valors, also frequency response seems flat

- Any warnings on channel levels submitted for room calibration after uploading the files? No warnings

- Any error or warning messages at the end of the calculations?
No error

To answer your question, I have not run into this big difference of output.

I only use an external transport and DAC with separate preamps; I do not use Wavelet as the "all in one" box that it can be as I prefer my DACs and preamp so I am always using Wavelet with a XLR analog input.

(Are you using XLR inputs or RCA from your pre out of curiosity?)

I run my room sweeps/mic captures with a setting of "85" on Wavelet as I have with AERIS, CaliberXD+Foundation (all Wavelet v1) and Valor (Wavelet v1 and v2).

My run-time volume for Wavelet is 82.9 or 83.1 (depending upon where I hear 'the click' and change of noise floor when walking the Wavelet volume control down from 85 (or other higher levels). This has always been my setting with Wavelet v1 for the past 2 setups. With AERIS I think I was able to run with a couple tenths of a db higher (on Wavelet display). This is the equivalent of a "unity gain" setting as I utilize my external pre-amp for all volume control.

Hope this helps....

May I ask you to accept my friendship so we can discuss offline?
Thank you
Martin
Old 04-25-2023, 09:18 AM

Good morning,

My apologies for the delay in replying; I am not on this forum daily and I've been dealing with a medical issue that has required many doctor/surgeon's visits and has also necessitated various tests, plus trying to deal with my "day job" as I don't work in audio for Legacy or any other firm.

I am not sure what you are seeing is either wrong or an outright problem as I'm not sure the testing method is valid. Ping channels out of Wavelet for example is always softer than the overall playback level of the system. I realize you did not mention that and are instead focused on using (hopefully "correlated") pink noise.

You mention measuring from the seating position; have you tried from 3 ft or 4 ft out from the speaker on the direct line to the listening position? This would be the most instructive test, I think
as room sweeps are taken for submission via Wavelet to Bohmer's computational setup at the 4-foot distance.

My only means of measuring here to compare would be through an Android phone app, and such apps on Android and iPhone are known to be inaccurate. I would be playing correlated pink noise from a test disc (Chesky or Isotek or Legacy Audio Sampler, Volume II has an excellent correlated pink noise test track) through my DACs to my preamp into Wavelet's analog inputs.

My best recommendation is that as you think you may have a Wavelet in need of diagnosis that you reach out directly to service@legacyaudio.com. Ed and the rest of the guys will do their best to help you and I'm sure Bill would either confirm you are doing all the tests they need to diagnose, or make alternate recommendations for things they want you to check....

FYI, I did also accept the friend-request though you should send me messages using the private Inbox/internal mail feature here as it seems that when I responded to you on the
profile visitor page messages you left for me that the message I sent you disappeared.

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 04-25-2023 at 10:22 AM.