AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 04-03-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Humor me. Why are you disappointed? Because you missed out? Not sure I understand.
I submit when companies do things like that, it devalues their products. In addition to seeing free PWTs, I've seen heavily discounted DSDs. It's okay if you don't understand. I'm very happy I sold the DSD and that's what counts most to me!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
I submit when companies do things like that, it devalues their products. In addition to seeing free PWTs, I've seen heavily discounted DSDs. It's okay if you don't understand. I'm very happy I sold the DSD and that's what counts most to me!
You have every right to sell your gear, that I wasn't questioning.

However, if you've been dealing with PS Audio for any length of time you should know that this is not an uncommon pricing policy. For example, I was given a VERY large discount when I purchased the P5, just by saying I would trade in an old P300. I never was asked to or given instructions to do so.

I would say that their retail model has this type of "special pricing" built in. If for some reason that makes their product less desirable to you, once again you are well within your rights to choose another product.

The pricing policy in no way changes the fact PS Audio builds some unique, high quality products. If someone likes the product and can afford it, who cares about such things.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 04-03-2015, 07:00 PM

"The pricing policy in no way changes the fact PS Audio builds some unique, high quality products. If someone likes the product and can afford it, who cares about such things."

I can afford their products and I care about such things! I don't care for their retail model and the DSD is okay at its price point. Yes, it was a step up from the Perfectwave DAC II. Considering the price difference it should be. Similar price difference between the DSD and Bricasti M1; however to my ears the Bricasti M1 destroys the DSD.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:26 AM

I think Anthony Cordesman and Art Dudley are correct in their caution that hyperbole regarding DACs in 2015 should be regarded with one or two grains of salt. I'll be listening to the Bricasti tomorrow and, based upon reports from friends, I am sure I will like what I hear. That said, if it "blows away" the other fine DACs I have heard this year, I will eat my very unappetizing hat. A number of respected reviewers have commented lately on the increasingly subtle and very subjective differences between high quality DACs currently on offer. For consumers, that's actually good news.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:36 AM

While I understand that you can voice a DAC chip differently and can tailor it to sound great in different setups, I have some difficulty paying 5 figures for a DAC that uses a 9 dollar off the shelf chip like the ADI1955.

Don't get me wrong. I've heard the Berkeley Reference which uses the same chip and if sounds excellent. But I reckon I could get a mate to build something that sounds close to it using the same components.

DACs like the Chord, dCS, EMM, Playback and now DirectStream use proprietary discrete designs to handle the digital to analog conversion. And it's not something I can replicate at home.

I honestly wouldn't hold the DirectStream's low price against it. It holds its own against the Playback and EMM Labs that I also own. And those cost significantly more.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Doggiehowser, Your experience confirms what I hear and what I hear others who have sampled a wide range of DACs also say: once you get to a certain threshold, it's all about nuance and taste. That said, I'd love for you to describe the differences you heard when listening to the BAR. Is it as good as Robert Harley says?
Old 04-04-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhiner View Post
I think Anthony Cordesman and Art Dudley are correct in their caution that hyperbole regarding DACs in 2015 should be regarded with one or two grains of salt. I'll be listening to the Bricasti tomorrow and, based upon reports from friends, I am sure I will like what I hear. That said, if it "blows away" the other fine DACs I have heard this year, I will eat my very unappetizing hat. A number of respected reviewers have commented lately on the increasingly subtle and very subjective differences between high quality DACs currently on offer. For consumers, that's actually good news.
Of course all comments regarding "AUDIO" should be taken with a billion grains of salt. Let me address the hyperbole comment...there is a thread on another forum titled: Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. Before I talk about the thread, I must tell you my dealer/friend who sells PS Audio and Bricasti told me when I purchased the DSD that he felt the M1 was significantly better. I decided to purchase the DSD, because I didn't want to spend the extra money. When I read the the aforementioned thread, I responded the same way everyone is responding to me on here. I sent the guy a private email and told him that he was trashing the DSD. In essence I was telling him that he was using hyperbole. As a matter of fact I told him that people like him is what's wrong with high-end audio...insert foot in mouth! After approximately 30 hours of playing the M1 I sent him an email apologizing. In addition, I apologized publicly in the forum.
I've owned Wilson Audio Sophia 2s, 3s, and Sasha 1s. Every time someone criticized them I was offended and thought they were using hyperbole. The fact is all of us have different preferences. I understand that some will prefer the DSD over the M1, but "to my ears" they are voiced so differently that I stand by my statement. As a matter of fact, they are so different you my prefer the DSD, but that doesn't invalidate my preference. The M1 has completed my system and I'm done until I'm ready to upgrade within the Aerial speaker line-up.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
While I understand that you can voice a DAC chip differently and can tailor it to sound great in different setups, I have some difficulty paying 5 figures for a DAC that uses a 9 dollar off the shelf chip like the ADI1955.

Don't get me wrong. I've heard the Berkeley Reference which uses the same chip and if sounds excellent. But I reckon I could get a mate to build something that sounds close to it using the same components.

DACs like the Chord, dCS, EMM, Playback and now DirectStream use proprietary discrete designs to handle the digital to analog conversion. And it's not something I can replicate at home.

I honestly wouldn't hold the DirectStream's low price against it. It holds its own against the Playback and EMM Labs that I also own. And those cost significantly more.
You wouldn't pay 9K and I didn't pay 9K. I find your comments funny regarding the ADI1955 chip...you criticize one company for using it, but in the next paragraph you refer to a company the utilizes the same chip and produces excellent sound. The funny thing is one retails for 9k and the other retails for 18K. Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect yours! Have a great weekend.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:09 PM

Still following this thread, but as I don't own either product my opinion is worthless. I have however read the reviews of both products, listened to the PS Audio DSD, but not the Bricasti. After doing my research, I'd love to be able to listen to the Bricasti M1 just because of the glowing reviews.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 04-04-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Still following this thread, but as I don't own either product my opinion is worthless. I have however read the reviews of both products, listened to the PS Audio DSD, but not the Bricasti. After doing my research, I'd love to be able to listen to the Bricasti M1 just because of the glowing reviews.
I think it's important to think in terms of a system. Maybe the M1 isn't better than the DSD, but in the context of my system it's has better synergy. My system: Aerial 7ts, Jeff Rowland M525, Bryston BDP-2, Bricasti M1 and all WireWorld Silver 7 cables/power cords.