AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 08-02-2015, 07:12 PM

I used the DAC in my Mcintosh C2500
Old 08-02-2015, 07:24 PM

Oppo 105D which I still use as one method to "feed" the DS DAC. I find myself, however, almost exclusively using the DS DAC in the chain. The latest OS/firmware (Yale) for the DS DAC elevates the DAC's performance even more. As is always the case, there are differing opinions. But the fact that you can use whichever firmware version you prefer is one of the DAC's strongest points, in my opinion.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
Oppo 105D which I still use as one method to "feed" the DS DAC. I find myself, however, almost exclusively using the DS DAC in the chain. The latest OS/firmware (Yale) for the DS DAC elevates the DAC's performance even more. As is always the case, there are differing opinions. But the fact that you can use whichever firmware version you prefer is one of the DAC's strongest points, in my opinion.
I'm going to borrow one this week and see what I think.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 08-02-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
I'm going to borrow one this week and see what I think.
Please make sure it's a broken-in unit (>500 hours). Although not a day and night difference, it does come into its own after break-in. Two other things: I found it sensitive to the cable used for the coax connection and the OS firmware makes perhaps the biggest difference of all.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
Please make sure it's a broken-in unit (>500 hours). Although not a day and night difference, it does come into its own after break-in. Two other things: I found it sensitive to the cable used for the coax connection and the OS firmware makes perhaps the biggest difference of all. Good luck and have fun.
It belongs to a friend and he's had it in his rig for about 6 months. Well broken in. And Ivan makes sure I only use good cables
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 08-02-2015, 10:56 PM

Anyone still running a high end CD player and the DS?
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)

Last edited by audiohippo; 08-02-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohippo View Post
Anyone still running a high end CD player and the DS?
I still buy a fair number of new SACDs and play them through an EMM Labs XDS1 and Playback MPS5 (I have two systems).

The MPS5 doubles up as a DSD DAC with the USBX unit in the second system.

My XDS1 lacks a USB input but on my friend's EMM DAC2X he reckons it does fall short of the DS DAC now with Pikes and Yale.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I still buy a fair number of new SACDs and play them through an EMM Labs XDS1 and Playback MPS5 (I have two systems). The MPS5 doubles up as a DSD DAC with the USBX unit in the second system. My XDS1 lacks a USB input but on my friend's EMM DAC2X he reckons it does fall short of the DS DAC now with Pikes and Yale.
Doggiehowser, Do you own a DS DAC or are you saying your friend does and that the DS may surpass the EMM Labs DAC2X performance? Just curious, since I've heard none of the EMM labs gear. How does it compare with Yale to the XDS1?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:45 PM

I own the DS and the EMM XDS1.

The XDS1 was still better up till 1.1.6. This was using a Weiss INT202 to get AES to the DAC from my computer.

Once I got 1.2.1, I felt the DS was better.

Bear in mind the XDS1 didn't get the new firmware update released earlier this year.

My friend has the DAC2X which did. He felt that was better until after Pikes Peak. Then the DS was ahead.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:49 PM

Fascinating. I guess firmware/OS updates really are the future. I'm glad to have a DAC that can keep pace. Are you going to get the firmware update for the XDS-1? Also, I would be curious to hear how you would characterize the signature of the Emm Lab gear versus the DS. I've heard the Emm Lab approach is a bit more analytical than the dCs but I've never heard either. I used to own a Meitner BiDat which I really loved.