AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default "Proof" that turntables are cool...

The new SyFy series "Alphas" has a character that is really into LPs and turntables.

The psychiatrist character, Dr. Lee Rosen, portrayed by David Strathairn, is seen lowering a Nagaoka MP-11 onto an LP that looks to be on a Thorens TT. Then, in the next scene in a record shop perusing albums, he makes a comment to his Fed/cop friend Don Wilson about finding a Japanese import of Marc Bolan starting off his career in a skiffle band.

We always knew TTs and LPs were cool, but I guess SyFy just confirmed that!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 07-14-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:29 AM

Nagaoka MP11 review...

Nagaoka MP11 phono cartridge - [English]
Old 07-15-2011, 04:41 AM
A happy little vegemite..

I quite liked Alpha's...thinking man's Hero's with a semblence of character development.
I know...my wife said "Pants (she calls me AndyPants) when are you going to get another turntable?" She really likes them: retro cool to her.
I'm thinking a cheap and cheerful CA Concept with a decent high output MC....

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 AM

stephen
in the same lineage It seems to me that Dr House listens to LP in his office with a Sota TT
and what cool lad he is!!!!!, my wife is in love with him !!!!It is the reason for which I still have the right to buy LP.....

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 07-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
I quite liked Alpha's...thinking man's Hero's with a semblence of character development.
I know...my wife said "Pants (she calls me AndyPants) when are you going to get another turntable?" She really likes them: retro cool to her.
I'm thinking a cheap and cheerful CA Concept with a decent high output MC....
The Clearaudio Concept with an MC gets my highest recommendation, Andy. I have one I use as a mono-only deck with a Grado Sonata1 mono cart.

The Concept seems to work quite with with wood-body cartridges as well as the Benz MCs, so consider Benz MC, or better yet, a wood-bodied Benz MC for it.

-Stephen
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
stephen
in the same lineage It seems to me that Dr House listens to LP in his office with a Sota TT
and what cool lad he is!!!!!, my wife is in love with him !!!!It is the reason for which I still have the right to buy LP.....
Yes, House likes LPs and TTs, and motorcycles! He rides an Aprilia!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:12 PM

Walter Bishop listens to a lot of vinyl on the show FRINGE. One system being a Zenith Circle of Sound stereo system. Me and the wife watch the show but I had to look online to see if some one had identified what type of table he uses.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:44 PM

Looks like Russian leaders (Putin and Medvedev) enjoy a little bit of high-end audio in the Presidential residence. I believe that is an Avid Acutus tunrtable with the Avid Pulsar phono. I pulled this link from another well known forum and the members on that site said the speakers are Daniel Herz M1 speakers. There is also an R-2-R deck prominently displayed. Here's the link: Putin and Medvedev: So happy together? – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

Check out image 11 for the audio jewelry....
Old 07-15-2011, 02:56 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The Clearaudio Concept with an MC gets my highest recommendation, Andy. I have one I use as a mono-only deck with a Grado Sonata1 mono cart.

The Concept seems to work quite with with wood-body cartridges as well as the Benz MCs, so consider Benz MC, or better yet, a wood-bodied Benz MC for it.

-Stephen
Must be something in the water because I have been considering getting this exact turntable.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Cool, calm scientist

You will not be disappointed.

Here's mine: