AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Lamm

Lamm Bringing you the magic of music

Old 09-09-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
What makes you say that? Have you any experience with & without? I know it's a mixed bag - some prefer with & some without. WHat are your experiences?
yes, had experience with my lamms ; other pre-amps, lamm pre-amp, bat pre-amp, passive pre-amp and direct from cd source to lamm amp.
Yes, would always prefer a pre amp in the chain although going direct is more detailed and tad more dynamic. But i prefer some sort of flavoring w/ what the pre-amp can add. Sacrificing ultimate transparency for some added coloration is fine by me. BUT, ymmv...
Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundslikemusic View Post
yes, had experience with my lamms ; other pre-amps, lamm pre-amp, bat pre-amp, passive pre-amp and direct from cd source to lamm amp.
Yes, would always prefer a pre amp in the chain although going direct is more detailed and tad more dynamic. But i prefer some sort of flavoring w/ what the pre-amp can add. Sacrificing ultimate transparency for some added coloration is fine by me. BUT, ymmv...
I understand. Perhaps I should audition a few preamps to see where my tastes really lie. I appreciate the input.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I understand. Perhaps I should audition a few preamps to see where my tastes really lie. I appreciate the input.
Just some i have experience:

a.) Lamm LL2 with M2.2s-- very tubey, warm sound, full, bass has a certain wholesomeness to it. Can be at times a bit rough sounding in the high's depending on the recording. Not the most refine but very forgiving of not so good source materials. Very natural sounding, very nice textures and harmonics. So far on an average, my fave of the bunch.

b.) BAT Pre-amp with M2.2s-- very airy, lighter side of things, not as full or bloomy as the LL2, slightly more detailed than LL2 even with stock tubes, the highs are just fantastic, midrange is not as robust as the LL2. Definitely more refine than the LL2s. More dimensional than LL2. Not very forgiving of poor recordings. I would rate this my 2nd favourite. If it was fuller sounding then i would take this over the LL2. As the highs of this pre-amp is so intoxicating & so refine ! But i guess nothing is perfect.

c.) Accuphase pre-amp solid state-> very good compromise, has bass, slam & dynamics. Though not as liquid as the two tube pre-amp. Fullsome sound, detailed just as good, but compared to the tube units, its a little mechanical sounding, not as smooth as the tubes... refinement yes! Of the pre-amps i tried here, this one has the deepest, widest soundstage. Its also very holographic allowing the speakers to disappear very well. toss between this and the BAT. Definitely a very good choice as well!

d.) Hovland HP100 pre-amp->definitely not the best match with the Lamm M2.2s. Small soundstage, a bit rough sounding.

e.) Passive pre-amp from UK based on S&B transformer-> by far the most transparent, neutral, no colorations whatsoever. Also the most detailed. But i feel it has lost its fullness, the bloomy nature of tubes. Vocals are very pure & transparent. Reach out and touch someone. Soundstage is very good but not as wide or deep as the LL2s or the Accuphase. Very interesting audition & something I can explore further if i had a week with it to play with cables and various tweaks.

Hope this helps.

SLM
Old 09-16-2011, 02:42 AM

The countdown has begun. My Lamm M1.2s should be shipping this weekend. Everybody, say it with me: 10, 9, 8...
Old 09-16-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Just some i have experience:

a.) Lamm LL2 with M2.2s-- very tubey, warm sound, full, bass has a certain wholesomeness to it. Can be at times a bit rough sounding in the high's depending on the recording. Not the most refine but very forgiving of not so good source materials. Very natural sounding, very nice textures and harmonics. So far on an average, my fave of the bunch.

b.) BAT Pre-amp with M2.2s-- very airy, lighter side of things, not as full or bloomy as the LL2, slightly more detailed than LL2 even with stock tubes, the highs are just fantastic, midrange is not as robust as the LL2. Definitely more refine than the LL2s. More dimensional than LL2. Not very forgiving of poor recordings. I would rate this my 2nd favourite. If it was fuller sounding then i would take this over the LL2. As the highs of this pre-amp is so intoxicating & so refine ! But i guess nothing is perfect.

c.) Accuphase pre-amp solid state-> very good compromise, has bass, slam & dynamics. Though not as liquid as the two tube pre-amp. Fullsome sound, detailed just as good, but compared to the tube units, its a little mechanical sounding, not as smooth as the tubes... refinement yes! Of the pre-amps i tried here, this one has the deepest, widest soundstage. Its also very holographic allowing the speakers to disappear very well. toss between this and the BAT. Definitely a very good choice as well!

d.) Hovland HP100 pre-amp->definitely not the best match with the Lamm M2.2s. Small soundstage, a bit rough sounding.

e.) Passive pre-amp from UK based on S&B transformer-> by far the most transparent, neutral, no colorations whatsoever. Also the most detailed. But i feel it has lost its fullness, the bloomy nature of tubes. Vocals are very pure & transparent. Reach out and touch someone. Soundstage is very good but not as wide or deep as the LL2s or the Accuphase. Very interesting audition & something I can explore further if i had a week with it to play with cables and various tweaks.

Hope this helps.

SLM
Helps? It absolutely helps. It's both informative & insightful. Thank you
Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 PM

Enjoy your new toy! Lamms are definitely keepers !
Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Enjoy your new toy! Lamms are definitely keepers !
They're HEEERRRRRRRE! How magnificent, too. I hear much more of everything. Reference like a mofo.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:42 PM
From the BAT cave ...

congrats!!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
They're HEEERRRRRRRE! How magnificent, too. I hear much more of everything. Reference like a mofo.
thesaint519...congrats on the Lammies. The M1.2s are phenomenal amps. Enjoy them in good health for many years to come. Those are keepers
Old 10-11-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
congrats!!
Thank you. It's amazing just how much information was missing. Oh, let me get back to my listening.