AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 06-23-2013, 03:54 AM

Default Review: Balanced Ztron Anaconda interconnects

Two weeks ago I upgraded 3 pair of balanced MIT Shotgun S1.3 interconnects to Shunyata Ztron Anaconda balanced ICs. These cables are used to connect the SACD player, and the DAC to the pre, and connect the pre to the amps in my two channel system. With this purchase I now have a complete Shunyata cable system. Aside from the two Python CX cables on the amps, all the other cables use Ztron technology.

I acquired the MIT cables 3-4 years ago, and they replaced Kimber Kables XLRs. This was a big upgrade in that the soundstage expanded, and I was able to hear more detail in the music. On the other hand, the Shunyata upgrade was not a night and day difference, but a bit more subtle, while still being obvious and positive.

The first thing that jumped out was the soundstage expanded a bit horizontally. On some tracks it almost seemed as if there was no center, just left and right. However, that is an exception. Another area I noticed is the location of instruments and voices is more precise now. It is pinpoint in its accuracy. More focused is a good description.

If you have seen the Shunyata ads where they show a square wave with little degradation out of their cables then you will understand how precise instruments now sound. I mostly listen to classical string quartet type music, and the sound of violin strings is scary sharp. In addition to being very accurate, the decay of notes can be heard much deeper into the background. I was surprised the other night as I listened to a violin note decay go on and on until the track changed.

While I loved the MIT cables, and was perfectly happy, these Shunyata cables have given me a bit more performance. One big benefit is that I no longer have those bulky boxes hanging in the back. While I never had any issue with them, for whatever reason I just was not happy with that.

I moved the MIT cables into my HT/surround and spare stereo system. They replaced MIT CVT Terminator 1 interconnects. Needless to say, this, along with the recent power upgrades, has bought the HT to a higher level audio wise.

If you are in the market for any type of cable I have to give a plug for Shunyata. Their products have made my life better by increasing the pleasure I get from both my stereo and HT.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:09 AM

A very good review.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 AM

bluefox, thank you for the excellent review. They must be a pleasure to hear if they are bringing you more accuracy, focus, and longer decay of notes...

Have you noticed any differences in the accuracy of transient attacks or in the spread of dynamic shifts?
2 channel system: Parasound JC 1+ Mono Amplifiers; Luxman C900u preamp; Acoustech PH-1P phono preamp; VPI Classic, Ortofon A90; Esoteric K-03 & Vacuum State GMBH modified Sony ES5400 SACD/CD; REVEL Ultima Salon 2; Shunyata EVEREST, Shunyata Sigma V2 XC, Shunyata Sigma & Alpha, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse Series 7 IC's,Phono Cables are Tellurium Q Silver Diamond, Audience, Lessloss, Acrolink, Teresonic Silver EXP, Tellurium Q Silver Diamond speaker cables; HyperSpike HS-5 rack;Stillpoints Ultra 5 V2 under amps & preamp
Old 06-23-2013, 11:58 AM

Nice review! Did you have any concern using the Anaconda, rather than the Python in your environment? My understanding is that the absence of the second shield on the Anaconda, whilst lifting performance, leaves it vulnerable to external influence, particularly RFI.

My place is stuffed full of cordless phones, mobile phones, computers with wi-fi, etc, etc. I have used the Python Zitron IC in one of my systems and liked it a lot. It had more transparency than the Shunyata Aurora cables I use, if a little less weight. I suspect the Anaconda would give me the weight, but the lack of shielding is a concern
Old 06-23-2013, 12:01 PM

The Anaconda Zitrons certainly have excellent musical decay. They sparkle warmth at the top end. They have a deep wide horizontal holographic soundstage.

These are the three excellent sound qualities that i love about this cable.

When I tried the Anaconda interconnects in my system, I found that the resolution was not consistent in the lower mids & they sounded a little thin/dull in that range. Although, this observation could have been because of insufficient burn in & settling time. Also, the cables demoed were unbalanced RCAs. Nevertheless, there was something missing in the lower frequencies.

I found that they performed notably well between pre and power amp. I tried the Pythons too. The Pythons sounded solidly complete throughout but not as smooth & dimensional as the Anacondas.

I am partially biased against passive electronics & more in favour of the application of quality metallurgy. The Z factor concerns me a little as a potential failure point. The lack of shielding on the Anacondas also concerns me. I am impartial to the plugs which are a design element. The plugs don't exude the same luxurious quality of a Furutech Flux Carbon/Rhodium for instance. Despite my criticisms, they still nag me to want to spend some more time with them, again.

Yes, the transients present nicely. There is a 3D musical quality to this cable that draws you in. This cable exhibits qualities found in more expensive cables, eg Siltech. I am fond of these cables. There is some sort of magic going on but I cannot reconcile what I didn't hear....

I would be happy to give them another go but would need 2m XLRs & some decent time to give them a thorough workout. I don't think my dealer can do & without that quality time, I would not be prepared to consider Shunyata interconnects on faith that may not come.

Last edited by MyPal; 06-23-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Nice review! Did you have any concern using the Anaconda, rather than the Python in your environment? My understanding is that the absence of the second shield on the Anaconda, whilst lifting performance, leaves it vulnerable to external influence, particularly RFI
Yes, I did think about that issue. However, after thinking about it I could not imagine an environment where the cables would not be exposed to some external influence. It did not make any sense to me for Shunyata to offer a product that would only work in some contrived artificial setup. So, I decided to order the Anaconda and return them if I had any hum, buzz, or other noise in the system.

I tried my best to get cables to cross at 90 degrees, but even that is not perfectly implemented. Anyway, I hear no unwanted noise in the system. In fact I could argue that it seems quieter in the background now.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
Have you noticed any differences in the accuracy of transient attacks or in the spread of dynamic shifts?

I'm not really sure what that is, so I have to answer with a no comment.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the review, I am thrilled with my Shunyata Zitrons so far...would luv to move to Anaconda's eventually.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
Yes, I did think about that issue. However, after thinking about it I could not imagine an environment where the cables would not be exposed to some external influence. It did not make any sense to me for Shunyata to offer a product that would only work in some contrived artificial setup. So, I decided to order the Anaconda and return them if I had any hum, buzz, or other noise in the system.

I tried my best to get cables to cross at 90 degrees, but even that is not perfectly implemented. Anyway, I hear no unwanted noise in the system. In fact I could argue that it seems quieter in the background now.
Thanks for the update