AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 03-21-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyboy1956 View Post
Notwithstanding an excellent review and my own happy experience with a spate of Shuyata products from a Hydra 6 to a VRay and now Triton, the Typhon, IMHO, is a 5k leap of faith

What I don't like is that for optimum performance you need to attach the Typhon to one of the Triton's power outlets, so now you have a $10k seven outlet power conditioner.

It does have a jumper cable, but I guess using a power outlet gives better results.

Funny story. When I received my Triton there was a sticker over the AC in connector, and I didn't realize there was a connector under it. I tried to plug the female end of my power cable into the female connector on the Triton which was for the Typhon. At that time no one, or at least me, had heard of the Typhon.

Anyway, I freaked out and sent Shunyata support an email saying my Triton had the wrong connector installed on it. Short time later, I received an email back saying remove the sticker, and the AC connector is under it. Whew! For a moment I was wondering what I had bought.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:24 AM
Sunny boy1956

And now the funny bit, I am sure most of us, including me, would love to leap to a Typhon provided I am not the first to get there. A product such as this which is not amenable to a traditional A/B demo needs early adopters.
Jfrech
Are you tuned in ?
Cheers
Pradeep
Rockport Aviors, Conrad Johnson GAT, Wavac HE 833 V2, Nagra VPS, Lyra Atlas,Miyajima Premium BE Mono and Ortofon Silver Meister SPU, Durrand Talea2 tonearm and Ortofon 309D, TW Acustics AC with Black Night motor + PSU and Garrard 401.Musical Fidelity kw 25 dac + transport.REL G1 x2. Shunyata Triton.Mytek 192 DSD DAC. All cables Cardas Golden Reference.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 AM

Yes, good review. I'm very happy with my Triton. Have other plans on upgrades before I consider the Typhon - even as good as it is.

BTW, Joseph Audio used the Triton and Typhon for his demos at RMAF last year.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
What I don't like is that for optimum performance you need to attach the Typhon to one of the Triton's power outlets, so now you have a $10k seven outlet power conditioner.

It does have a jumper cable, but I guess using a power outlet gives better results.

I did notice the reference to this in Tim's review, and it is surprising that the dedicated connector on the Triton for output to the Typhon is not the preferred method for connecting. Which seems a bit ill conceived.

In addition, the supplied umbilical connector was described by Tim as "closed, flatter, and less energetic" than when he used a Zitron (Anaconda?) connector - apparently an upgrade option.

If the Typhon is an "icing on the cake" product, why supply it with a second rate form of connection, and a second rate connector? I don't get that.

The issue with Tim's very well written review is that whilst it does mention the Triton and the benefits of the better Zitron cables, these play second fiddle to the Typhon. Which comes across as the hero component delivering sonic nirvana. All for adding a bit more RFI/EMI filtering?

But where it leaves me is that the Triton does not have enough filtering.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyboy1956 View Post
And now the funny bit, I am sure most of us, including me, would love to leap to a Typhon provided I am not the first to get there. A product such as this which is not amenable to a traditional A/B demo needs early adopters.
Jfrech
Are you tuned in ?
Cheers
Pradeep
As Grant did say in his latest post, the Typhon should be trialled in your own system first.

In the US, Grant's suggestion that dealers can make available loan examples to do this. Not sure what it is like in India, but where I am, I currently have 3 times the inventory of Shunyata products than the national distributor

If I want to buy another Shunyata product, and I frequently do, I have it ordered by the distributor from the US. Which means I am buying it.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 AM

The added IEC for the Typhon on the Triton's chassis is a convenience feature for those that need all eight outlets. We will have a reasonably priced 8 outlet power strip coming soon that can be used with a Triton in order to add outlets for those that may need them.

The umbilical for the Typhon is not built into the cost of the unit because we wanted there to be several options. There was no room (in terms of our cost) to build a Zi-Tron model into the targeted price of the unit. Ideally, the umbilical type should be the equivalent to what runs from the Triton to the wall. At a minimum, my recommendation would be a Zi-tron Viper or Cobra.

Glisse, if any customer overseas writes to us wanting access to one of our products for an evaluation, we would try to arrange that through the distributor and have done this before. That way the product can be fairly evaluated and returned if it did not suit the system. When its time, let us know who your distributor is via e-mail and I will see what can be arranged.

Regards,

Grant
Old 03-21-2013, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the gracious response, Grant
Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Sunny boy1956

Grant
That is extremely fair and generous and I withdraw and apologize for my "leap of faith" remark
Do you have a distributor/dealer in India ?
Pradeep
Rockport Aviors, Conrad Johnson GAT, Wavac HE 833 V2, Nagra VPS, Lyra Atlas,Miyajima Premium BE Mono and Ortofon Silver Meister SPU, Durrand Talea2 tonearm and Ortofon 309D, TW Acustics AC with Black Night motor + PSU and Garrard 401.Musical Fidelity kw 25 dac + transport.REL G1 x2. Shunyata Triton.Mytek 192 DSD DAC. All cables Cardas Golden Reference.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 AM

We were working with Burge and Sanjiv of Reference, but I believe their business is not there any longer. We have been talking to a new distributor and will be sending some product samples there in the near future. If you would send me an e-mail with contact information I will look into including a Typhon in the initial sample order.

For any other inquiry, please use our e-mail at cservice@shunyata.com

Regards, Grant
Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Sunny boy1956

Grant
Many thanks. Am sending you a PM with my contact info. My impression is that Burge Cooper is doing pretty well.
Regards
Pradeep