AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > TAD Speakers & Electronics

TAD Speakers & Electronics Technical Audio Devices Laboratories

Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Joe...I have been meaning to ask how the GAT compares to the 077 driving the 911 monos? My guess is the 077 is the better match but curious to know your thoughts.
Great question Cyril.

Mike
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Joe...I have been meaning to ask how the GAT compares to the 077 driving the 911 monos? My guess is the 077 is the better match but curious to know your thoughts.

Cyril,

I do not want to say this yet because of the short time with the amps but I think you were/are correct about the 077 matching better with the 911 monos. I have a feeling that because the 911 only accept XLR cables, using an adapter is not the ideal solution. There are some discussions going on in regards to how the RCA, single ended output from the GAT is interfacing with the XLR only balanced inputs of the 911's. I do not think this is an optimal connection and do not yet know if I am getting the full performance that way. The 077 is simply superb on the 911's. There is no forwardness, it is even across the board. The CR-1's simply disappear. With the GAT, while it is extremely enjoyable, I can tell something seems forced and more forward. I do not know how to fully describe what I am hearing yet but the 077 is certainly interfacing better with the 911's.

On the other hand, I simply love to death the GAT with my Dartzeel 108. That combination is breathtaking as well as the 077/911 combo. A different flavor for sure but equally satisfying. I am sure two Dartzeel 108 amps run as mono with my GAT is and will be a force to reckon with. Will that match up take place? Sadly not in the foreseeable future but I would love to try it. The 911's are fuller and ballsier than the Dart but can be just as satisfying when the Dart is used with the GAT.

Whew, confused?

Last edited by joeinid; 06-13-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
I'd never have expected to hear the phrase "close enough" around here.
I can't believe I said that myself but I am at the point where I can pick anything from my "closet of toys" and enjoy the heck out of them.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 PM

Joe...thanks for the response. I am sure either combo (077/911 monos vs. GAT/Dartzeel) is killer SOTA sound A big congrats again.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Joe.......Overkill is an elusive term. In my humble opinion it does not apply to desire, joy, or satisfaction. Live your dream.
Well said Dan. Everything is coming together quite nicely.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Joe...thanks for the response. I am sure either combo (077/911 monos vs. GAT/Dartzeel) is killer SOTA sound A big congrats again.
Good points, Cyril. Joe has got an embarrasment of riches right now! I think we're at the level where it's like comparing fine single-malt scotches. Do you want Talisker or Lagavulin or Glenmorangie tonight? All depends on what you're in the mood for.

For me, cartridges for the TT are like that.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Dan,

The specs, looks and functionality of the 111 are amazing. It would certainly cover ALL my musical needs quite nicely. I am hoping the preamp section is reference quality like they say it is, the same as my 077 is what I've been told. Kind of hard to believe but even if it's close, I could be very happy. I'd like to use that as my only source, well maybe an MR88 as well . As the unit get into users hands, I am dying for some feedback. We'll see. My 077 seems like a little overkill for just 1 or 2 sources but it does sound superb.

I am looking forward to hearing/seeing/reading more about the 111.

I would go for the 111 / 911 combination..... this is how I have setup the my system (MCD1100 / MC601's) and it sounds great. Let us know what you decide!!
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
I would go for the 111 / 911 combination..... this is how I have setup the my system (MCD1100 / MC601's) and it sounds great. Let us know what you decide!!
Josh,

Thank you! No one is more eager than I but supply for the 111 will be short for a while. I am sure user reviews will be slow to trickle in but hopefully soon we should get more details.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:54 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Joe.......The Burmester Reference 111 Musiccenter includes a fully functional preamplifier unit that serves as the central element of your sound system with three analogue and six digital inputs. The preamplifier in the 111 consists of balanced circuitry with a fully DC-coupled signal path and no coupling capacitors. This music server should easily provide your new 911 Mk3 mono blocks with the control functions you need for any source, and the Burmester signal quality demanded by your amplifiers.

Some other interesting things I discovered about the Burmester 111 are quite interesting. The high-resolution 7" display was originally conceived as a display for use in the aviation industry, and used in the Airbus A380. This attention to high quality ensures a long and reliable service life. Also, the two 1TB hard drives are SSD solid state drives, with one drive as a mirrored back up to ensure no loss of music files should a drive failure occur. What I found very impressive is the Burmester 111 also includes an internal uninterruptible power supply (UPS). This ensures your data remains safe in the event of a power outage. The server will undergo a controlled system shutdown with the aid of the UPS, ensuring protection of your music files. Of course all of the amazing features found in the Burmester Reference 111 Musiccenter come at a premium price, $50k MSRP.

I was wondering if there is a surround through function in the 111 as in Burmester's other (pre-)amps. That would make this unit even more complete!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-14-2012, 04:00 AM

Joe, I'm happy that you're happy & happy is as happy was with both systems.
At the mo I really wanted to give you some feedback on the MSB side of things as a controlling pre-amp & dac, it will happen for me but another 3 wk's to get the build that I want & in-home trial.
For you from my point of view, that would be the synergy thing, "111 oooh yeah" in a Barry White accent. Then it all gets boring because you have it .......