AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Chinese High-End Audio

Chinese High-End Audio Doge, Eastern Electric, Jungson, Psvane, Yulong

Old 06-10-2014, 03:46 AM

Default Anybody else using the Lumin streaming player?

Hi, I just recently acquired a Lumin streaming player and am slowing getting the hang of it. I am using both the Lumin app (v2.0.7) and the Linn Kinsky app to control the unit. My NAS is a 16TB QNAP TS-879 PRO and I am using both TWONKY and MINIMSERVER server packages on the NAS.

Although the control app interface works, I find it gets hung quite often and I have to either reboot the iPad or restart the music server to get things going again.

The headaches with the control application packages aside, the unit sounds absolutely stunning with 192/24 audio files.

I have lots of work ahead getting my music library ironed out but I look forward to it eagerly.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:07 AM

Stay away from the Lumin App and running Minimserver on the NAS.

Run a PC server with JRiver. Point the JRiver to all your media file location (In your case, the NAS). Run the DLNA server on JRiver with the DOPe mode. Use JRemote on your iPad to control your playback. You may run the PC server with JRiver headless (without any monitor and keyboard) with iPad remote desktop software "Jump".

Jriver will sort out your library nicely. It can play SACD ISO files without any conversion. If you think 192/24 sounded stunning, wait till you play everything on DSD.

I have been listening to the Lumin most of the time. I do have a EMM Labs CDSA, a Meitner Audio MA-1....they do sound sweeter with a good midrange presence but the Lumin really sounded more precise especially in the sound stage / imaging department. And though the Sony HAP-Z1ES, sounded very good on its own, it is no match to the Lumin.

(Audio)
Old 06-10-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
I find it gets hung quite often and I have to either reboot the iPad or restart the music server to get things going again.
I'm using a Linn DS but supposedly the Lumin is built to the same protocols. I run Mininserver on my NAS and primarily use Kinsky on an ipad, but I have dabbled with jriver on a pc and jremote, and also with the Lumin app. I've found that switching back and forth between control apps and servers is what causes the hangups. If I switch back and forth between Lumin and Kinsky apps they can't handle the handoff and one or the other can lock. Best to pick one server and app and just stick with them and enjoy the music. I find minimserver with either Kinsky or Lumin work very well, as does jriver/jremote if you just pick one combination and stick with it. Happy listening, I'm interested in hearing how you like the Lumin player.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-10-2014, 08:28 PM

Tony and Audio Lee. Thanks for the information and recommendations.

I agree and find that switching iPad apps and music servers (minimserver or TWONKY) cause the hangs and lockups. Sticking with one configuration does make it work better.

I will give JRiver and the remote control app a try in the next few days. I'll post my review of the player, although I suspect it will sound "amateurish" as I am inept when it comes to the language of audiophile reviews.

One other question for you two: What were your experiences with any perceived break-in period required by the Lumin?

Edit: I got JRiver and JRemote and they make quite a nice package. Now I just need to determine what sort of silent PC would be best to run JRiver on should I continue down this path.

Last edited by BlueSky; 06-11-2014 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Tony and Audio Lee. Thanks for the information and recommendations. I agree and find that switching iPad apps and music servers (minimserver or TWONKY) cause the hangs and lockups. Sticking with one configuration does make it work better. I will give JRiver and the remote control app a try in the next few days. I'll post my review of the player, although I suspect it will sound "amateurish" as I am inept when it comes to the language of audiophile reviews. One other question for you two: What were your experiences with any perceived break-in period required by the Lumin? Edit: I got JRiver and JRemote and they make quite a nice package. Now I just need to determine what sort of silent PC would be best to run JRiver on should I continue down this path.
BlueSky, sorry for the delayed response. I'm not sure I can help with your breakin question since I use a Linn, not a Lumin, but for what it's worth, the Linn sounded great out of the box but continued to improve for about the first 50 hours.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-18-2014, 02:13 PM

Hi Tony. No worries about any delay in response. As the Lumin I purchased was a demo, I am sure it had more than enough hours on it to settle in. I find the sound sends waves of excitement up and down my spine when listening to well-recorded 192k/24 bit files. I couldn't ask for anything more in an audio device and I am sure the DS sounds sublime as well.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Congratulations, here's to many hours of happy listening!
Old 08-09-2014, 04:50 PM

I like the Lumin A1 so much that I decided to replace it with the new S1 model. It will be here on Thursday of next week and my AD allowed me to return the A1 for a full refund toward the purchase price. I suspect that dealers often take demos back for a full refund on an upgrade but I could be wrong.

Also, over the last few month the Lumin app has been improved markedly and there have been a few firmware updates that have improved functionality and added streaming radio to the package. I highly recommend this unit from China.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I like the Lumin A1 so much that I decided to replace it with the new S1 model. It will be here on Thursday of next week and my AD allowed me to return the A1 for a full refund toward the purchase price. I suspect that dealers often take demos back for a full refund on an upgrade but I could be wrong. Also, over the last few month the Lumin app has been improved markedly and there have been a few firmware updates that have improved functionality and added streaming radio to the package. I highly recommend this unit from China.
I wish my dealer could offer such full refund deals. Please let us know how the S1 compares with the A1 after you have some time with it.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
I wish my dealer could offer such full refund deals. Please let us know how the S1 compares with the A1 after you have some time with it.
No worries with the report out on the S1 when it's settled in a tad.

Regarding the refund, I really don't know what the dealer's philosophy on that is but I'll ask when I pick the new unit up. He's got very esoteric gear and his showroom is in the basement of his house until he can get a store front. Kind of cool and he has a nice dog to play with to boot.