AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 08-20-2021, 10:16 AM

Default Dan Clark Audio “Stealth”

Planar Magnetic Closed Back
I’m not even going to bother with the temptation stage…asked my dealer for a quote. Apparently availability in Europe could be an issue.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 55D0D4DA-E1E0-45B3-841B-6573BB27D2C7.jpeg (64.7 KB, 264 views)
Old 08-20-2021, 11:13 AM

They look like an upgrade to the Aeon 2 closed, which I’ve found to be one of the most comfortable headphones ever. These are going to have to go on my Christmas list.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 08-20-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:55 PM

Have one on order…now the wait begins…
Old 08-25-2021, 05:54 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemHadar View Post
Have one on order…now the wait begins…

And congrats!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-17-2021, 11:00 AM

I wish I could say, as some have, that the Dan Clark Audio Stealth offers a transformative experience in audio. In my case it didn’t. As a matter of fact I’m quite conflicted about this headphone and the substantial void it made in my audio-toys budget.

So why these ramblings? Apparently I’m not alone in my findings.

For a 4.000$ headphone the execution should be flawless, even for a boutique product like the Stealth. Unfortunately my specimen isn’t. One cup has what looks like a haze of glue residue only the size of a few mm; the other cup has some indentations like from a gripping mechanism or pincer. Very minor defects, probably too minor to make a case about them, but for an OCD inclined person expecting perfection, no easy thing and definitely not helping the experience. Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.

So what about first impressions:

For a planar magnetic it is relatively light. For a closed back it sounds surprisingly open. The tonal balance is very natural from the midrange all the way up the treble; no funny stuff with cymbals or sibilance. Isolation is better than the LCD XC. Bass goes low but is very recessed. Detail retrieval and instrument separation are excellent. However no slam or any hint of dynamics whatsoever and this is sorely missed in the bass and sub bass region.

The Stealth sounds very un-headphone like and comes closer to a loudspeaker experience, but once again the lack of bass is a killjoy.

Where the LCD XC is rock ‘n roll, the Stealth is very polite, maybe too polite in its presentation.

The Stealth is not a bad headphone, far from it. The tuning alone makes it king of the hill as far as closed back headphones go. However the bass thing is completely unexpected.

I’m hoping that using a balanced cable (on order but not yet received) will elevate the performance to a level worthy of its high-end SOTA aspirations and matching price tag.

A little card in the box tells me the headphone needs 50 up to 100 hours of use to settle and I’m not there yet by a long shot. So the jury is still out and the final verdict will be rendered at a later date.

As always, try to audition first if you can. If that is not possible and if one is a bass head or expecting slam, impact and macro dynamics, the Stealth is most likely not for you. Voila, I saved you a lot of money.

On a side note, totally unexpected and in an almost wry kind of way I appreciate my Audeze LCD XC (2020) even more now. In combination with the Audeze Roon DSP plugin it offers incredible value for the buck. It is heavy, but that really doesn’t bother me.

It would seem, when scouring the interwebs, that right now, the Audeze LCD XC 2021 edition offers one of the best value propositions as far as closed back planars go today. So I can only recommend comparing the LCD XC 2021 to the Stealth side by side if you are in the market for a closed back HP.

Last edited by JemHadar; 10-17-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:40 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemHadar View Post
I wish I could say, as some have, that the Dan Clark Audio Stealth offers a transformative experience in audio. In my case it didn’t. As a matter of fact I’m quite conflicted about this headphone and the substantial void it made in my audio-toys budget.

So why these ramblings? Apparently I’m not alone in my findings.

For a 4.000$ headphone the execution should be flawless, even for a boutique product like the Stealth. Unfortunately my specimen isn’t. One cup has what looks like a haze of glue residue only the size of a few mm; the other cup has some indentations like from a gripping mechanism or pincer. Very minor defects, probably too minor to make a case about them, but for an OCD inclined person expecting perfection, no easy thing and definitely not helping the experience. Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.

So what about first impressions:

For a planar magnetic it is relatively light. For a closed back it sounds surprisingly open. The tonal balance is very natural from the midrange all the way up the treble; no funny stuff with cymbals or sibilance. Isolation is better than the LCD XC. Bass goes low but is very recessed. Detail retrieval and instrument separation are excellent. However no slam or any hint of dynamics whatsoever and this is sorely missed in the bass and sub bass region.

The Stealth sounds very un-headphone like and comes closer to a loudspeaker experience, but once again the lack of bass is a killjoy.

Where the LCD XC is rock ‘n roll, the Stealth is very polite, maybe too polite in its presentation.

The Stealth is not a bad headphone, far from it. The tuning alone makes it king of the hill as far as closed back headphones go. However the bass thing is completely unexpected.

I’m hoping that using a balanced cable (on order but not yet received) will elevate the performance to a level worthy of its high-end SOTA aspirations and matching price tag.

A little card in the box tells me the headphone needs 50 up to 100 hours of use to settle and I’m not there yet by a long shot. So the jury is still out and the final verdict will be rendered at a later date.

As always, try to audition first if you can. If that is not possible and if one is a bass head or expecting slam, impact and macro dynamics, the Stealth is most likely not for you. Voila, I saved you a lot of money.

On a side note, totally unexpected and in an almost wry kind of way I appreciate my Audeze LCD XC (2020) even more now. In combination with the Audeze Roon DSP plugin it offers incredible value for the buck. It is heavy, but that really doesn’t bother me.

It would seem, when scouring the interwebs, that right now, the Audeze LCD XC 2021 edition offers one of the best value propositions as far as closed back planars go today. So I can only recommend comparing the LCD XC 2021 to the Stealth side by side if you are in the market for a closed back HP.

Jacques, could the imperfections be a reason to turn it back?
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-17-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Jacques, could the imperfections be a reason to turn it back?

Although these defects shouldn’t be there and shouldn’t have gotten past quality control they are very very minor. I will give them their 100 hours and see what happens.

Last edited by JemHadar; 10-17-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:26 PM

Thanks for this review - I’ve been considering the Stealth but will try to find a way to audition them and wait for your update with the balanced cable (I would use them with a balanced amp).
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-17-2021, 03:06 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

FWIW, the very best headphone that I heard/owned, are the Meze Empyrean’s by a wide Margin.

At last count; I have 14 pairs of cans.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-17-2021, 04:20 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
FWIW, the very best headphone that I heard/owned, are the Meze Empyrean’s by a wide Margin.

At last count; I have 14 pairs of cans.

Ivan, the Meze is open back, and I think Mrs Jacques would/could object.
But I am with you, it is a terrific headphone, and probably the one I would buy... but now there is the Meze Elite, which seems to even improve on the Empyrean.
There was an article from a trusted reviewer who could compare both.
It is 4K instead of 3K though...