AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 10-19-2021, 04:02 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Default 360 Reality Audio

Several platforms including Spotify, Tidal and Amazon started streaming in 360 Reality Audio. Last I checked Qobuz didn't offer that format (yet?).

Works only when streaming from a mobile device and listening with headphones.

Blue Note just released Kind of Blue in 360. I've had a listen via Tidal, the experience is quite unique with amazing surround portraying. Difficult to appreciate for stereo purists but impressive it is!

This is not very different from the binaural 3D/8D streams you can find on YouTube.

Here's a few explanatory words found on various sites:

Sony is working with a number of major record labels (including Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group), streaming services and other music organisations to refine a next-gen audio format that sits the listener smack bang in the middle of a 360-degree music listening experience.

What is 360 Reality Audio?

360 Reality Audio is an immersive experience using Sony's spatial audio technology to map out sound at any point or distance from your ears. This new listening experience is the culmination of years of acoustic and physiological studies of how we hear and place sounds. When streaming in 360 Reality Audio, the listener is made to feel as if they were experiencing a live performance.

How does 360 Reality Audio work?

In conventional stereo or 5.1ch surround sound, speakers are fixed in position, and the sound can only be panned around that fixed-format on a horizontal plane. 360 Reality Audio utilizes a spatial sound field by creating multiple virtual speakers which can be heard in front, back, above, and below you in a true 360-degree space.
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 10-22-2021, 11:20 PM

Interesting, though I guess there are obvious compromises in resolution. If one plays Kind of Blue in 360, are you sitting in the studio with the musicians encircling you, or are they in front and you have a better illusion of being in the room?
Old 10-31-2021, 06:32 PM

Hi Peter, I was listening again to Kind of Blue in 360 and I would say that it's more like having the musicians around you in a surround mode, but not exactly in a circle.

The most realistic sound effect comes from the drums, you can visualise Jimmy Cobb playing right in front of you, to your right. Miles Davis is blowing his trumpet right on top of your head, sometimes you feel he's in your head, that feels a little strange. The other musicians seem to be placed rather at the back of your head, Bill Evans' piano on the left, John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley saxophones very clearly on each side. Paul Chambers' double bass sits behind you, a little faded.

So I don't know if 360 is the best way to describe it, I would say there is a real holographic feel, also a sense of palpability, but the musicians are not in a perfect circle, some of them are positioned above your head so it can feel awkward at times.

I guess like everything in audio, our brain gets used to it and after a while probably starts enjoying this new presentation
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 11-01-2021, 10:21 AM
Life is beautiful

Miles Davis in your head.
Be careful!

A song came immediately to me: from Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon: "The lunatic is in my head"...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-01-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Miles Davis in your head.

Be careful!

A song came immediately to me: from Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon: "The lunatic is in my head"...

Bart, now that you mention can’t wait to listen to DSOTM in 360
Old 11-01-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
Hi Peter, I was listening again to Kind of Blue in 360 and I would say that it's more like having the musicians around you in a surround mode, but not exactly in a circle.
So I don't know if 360 is the best way to describe it, I would say there is a real holographic feel, also a sense of palpability, but the musicians are not in a perfect circle, some of them are positioned above your head so it can feel awkward at times.
It is not a fixed feature of 360. It is the result of whatever the re-mastering team decides to do with the instruments/musicians/sources. They have almost complete freedom and, as a result, there is no predictable configuration from recording to recording. See: https://www.stereophile.com/content/immersive-audio-aes
Old 11-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Bart, now that you mention can’t wait to listen to DSOTM in 360

I do like it in 5.1!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-01-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
It is not a fixed feature of 360. It is the result of whatever the re-mastering team decides to do with the instruments/musicians/sources. They have almost complete freedom and, as a result, there is no predictable configuration from recording to recording. See: https://www.stereophile.com/content/immersive-audio-aes
Kal, thanks for sharing your very informative review on immersive audio
Old 11-01-2021, 02:08 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Kal, thanks for sharing your very informative review on immersive audio

Kal is a true defender of everything that surpasses stereo (let alone mono).