AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 06-28-2022, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khashmi View Post
Thanks for the great tip. I’m looking it up. Btw, don’t the 807’s need a special adaptor with a wire that goes from the base to the top of the tube (or do I have that wrong?).

To the extent Visseaux is available, what is in your opinion, a good price for them?
The 807 do need an adapter. They are a great value tube! A great way of getting vintage 6l6 sound for a lot less money. The 6bg6 is essentially the same tube with a different pin out. The 6bg6ga got some more powerful guts put in them towards the end. I think the 6bg6 route is an even better deal unless you want to collect the likes of GEC, Mullard, etc. then go 807.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:49 PM

There has been a lot of raving about the metal 6f6 in the Firebottle. My first experience with some RCA 6f6 wasn't a good one. They were bright and lightweight in general. Wasn't impressed. I eventually decided that with so many people liking them I should give them another try.

Got some KenRad 6f6 metal tubes. They along with the cv1102 and RCA 5y3 sound great! I might try some other input tubes but then again I might not lol. Certainly a great deal. I think that low powered pentodes are the place to be money wise in these crazy tube times. Lots of great deals to be had!
Old 06-29-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the great tip. I’m looking it up. Btw, don’t the 807’s need a special adaptor with a wire that goes from the base to the top of the tube (or do I have that wrong?).

To the extent Visseaux is available, what is in your opinion, a good price for them?
Visseaux 6V6GT come up for sale rarely and the asking price is around $300+ a pair when they do
Old 06-29-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:

807s and 6bg6s need adapters. Do a search for the Visseaux 6V6 on epay. I just saw a NOS pair that sold on 6/27 for $199 but it now. That was a super deal.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:41 AM

Thanks. Just pulled the trigger on Fivre and Ferranti’s from your recommended seller.

Now I need to buy a 5Y3 rectifier since I recall that the 5U4G that I’m currently using is not a good match for the 6V6G type although I suspect it will be fine for the 807’s.

Speaking of 807’s, who makes good quality adapters for it?
Old 06-29-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Just pulled the trigger on Fivre and Ferranti’s from your recommended seller.

Now I need to buy a 5Y3 rectifier since I recall that the 5U4G that I’m currently using is not a good match for the 6V6G type although I suspect it will be fine for the 807’s.

Speaking of 807’s, who makes good quality adapters for it?
I’ve bought some off of eBay and they work fine. If you want another option that isn’t Chinese I now use a guy in Bulgaria that can literally build you any adapter you want. I just bought a system of his that allows me to use other heaters voltages so I can use my 12sn7 stash on the Inspire amp. He hangs out on Head-Fi where all the tube loonies are. https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/...dapters.11214/
Old 06-29-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacc7 View Post
I’ve bought some off of eBay and they work fine. If you want another option that isn’t Chinese I now use a guy in Bulgaria that can literally build you any adapter you want. I just bought a system of his that allows me to use other heaters voltages so I can use my 12sn7 stash on the Inspire amp. He hangs out on Head-Fi where all the tube loonies are. https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/...dapters.11214/
Thanks Isaacc7! Lots of good reviews. I just reached out to him. Now to figure out the 5Y3 rectifier for the Fivre’s…
Old 06-29-2022, 06:51 PM

Thanks nhparrot and OldTubeGuy on confirming the going rate of the Visseaux. The guys who sold me his Popes also has a pair of Visseaux and was willing to let it go for $350. I wasn’t sure about that price so I decided to pass. I may revisit.

For now, the Fivre and 807’s are on their way and I am trying to decide whether I want to cough up $60 for the 807 adapter from the Bulgarian builder Isaacc7 recommended and also get a 5Y3, which shouldn’t be difficult.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks nhparrot and OldTubeGuy on confirming the going rate of the Visseaux. The guys who sold me his Popes also has a pair of Visseaux and was willing to let it go for $350. I wasn’t sure about that price so I decided to pass. I may revisit.

For now, the Fivre and 807’s are on their way and I am trying to decide whether I want to cough up $60 for the 807 adapter from the Bulgarian builder Isaacc7 recommended and also get a 5Y3, which shouldn’t be difficult.
Like I mentioned before I also use Chinese adapters from ebay and they're fine. So if you want to save a few bucks that's an option. I think Deyen's connector is a little gentler on the top cap. One of the caps on my Cossor/GEC 807 got stuck in the cap of the Chinese adapter. So that tube is out of commission until I figure out how to fix it.

Which 807 are you ordering?
Old 06-29-2022, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacc7 View Post
Like I mentioned before I also use Chinese adapters from ebay and they're fine. So if you want to save a few bucks that's an option. I think Deyen's connector is a little gentler on the top cap. One of the caps on my Cossor/GEC 807 got stuck in the cap of the Chinese adapter. So that tube is out of commission until I figure out how to fix it.

Which 807 are you ordering?
I ordered the Ferranti 807’s that OldTubeGuy recommended. They were cheap enough to give them a try. I havn’t given up on Deyen yet. Just evaluating options. I looked at another source and they were selling one for $30, so his price isn’t necessarily outrageous.