Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 03-14-2012, 07:14 PM

oldjayz... Welcome To AA!!!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Bgiliberti,

The amplifier you may want is actually two... the LP140 mono blocks. More power, impact and with all the dimensionality all in one package(s).

Good luck...
Bob
Thank you Bob. I'll keep an eye out for them, but I don't think I want to spend that much. I am sure they are phenomenal. The LPS 275 is also an option, but again, the $$$ start to seem a little ambitious for my system.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite613 View Post
oldjayz... Welcome To AA!!!

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiliberti View Post
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. I'm beginning to think I may not be a tube amp guy, because the Classic 60s (both) were definitely not 'punchy' enough for me, even though they both had a wonderful sound stage. The ET250S definitely sounded like a powerful amp, which it is, even though it lacks the dimensionality of the valve amps. If the LP70s sounds a lot like the Classic 60 SE, which I think it might, it may not be right for me. However, it's a pretty big jump in price to the ET250s from the Classics. I think the LPS70 is also cheaper on the used market than the ET-250, or at least more abundant. I think I need to audition an LPS70 against an ET250S to make up my mind. In advance, I know its a somewhat apples to oranges comparison.
I did not want to spoil this discussion but I did sell the LP-70S and found a Premier 350. All I can say is woof! IT does it all very nicely. THe trade off between SS and tubes with this amp is not that great. A winner if you can find a used one. I am powering a very tough load with my speakers and it handles them easily.

Good Luck
Old 03-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjayz View Post
I did not want to spoil this discussion but I did sell the LP-70S and found a Premier 350. All I can say is woof! IT does it all very nicely. THe trade off between SS and tubes with this amp is not that great. A winner if you can find a used one. I am powering a very tough load with my speakers and it handles them easily.

Good Luck
Thanks oldjays, and welcome also. I do think it has come come down to either a Prem. 350 or an ET-250s among CJ. At the risk of hijacking my own thread and offending my good CJ buddies, a friend recommended that if I go SS, I might consider a McIntosh 302, which is a little more in my price range than the Prem 350 or ET250S (Mac 302 is new @ $5500, and used for quite a bit less if you can find one.) With my CJ preamp, it could be a pretty sweet setup. I'm really not that familiar with Mac, but I listened to their $6000-range integrated amp a while back, and it has a sound I like, not as sweet as CJ, but much more to my taste than ARC. Any thoughts on on going with a SS Mac Amp anyone?
Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks oldjays, and welcome also. I do think it has come come down to either a Prem. 350 or an ET-250s among CJ. At the risk of hijacking my own thread and offending my good CJ buddies, a friend recommended that if I go SS, I might consider a McIntosh 302, which is a little more in my price range than the Prem 350 or ET250S (Mac 302 is new @ $5500, and used for quite a bit less if you can find one.) With my CJ preamp, it could be a pretty sweet setup. I'm really not that familiar with Mac, but I listened to their $6000-range integrated amp a while back, and it has a sound I like, not as sweet as CJ, but much more to my taste than ARC. Any thoughts on on going with a SS Mac Amp anyone?
Hi,

I ran a Conrad Johnson ET5 preamp with a pair of McIntosh MC601 amps and it really sounded nice. The CJ sound came through in spades. Very easy to listen to all day, no fatigue and sweet sound.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
I have listened to the Mac 501's extensively in my system twice and really wanted to love them. It does nothing wrong but IMO it does not approach the musically that the cj amps do. I much preferred the 2 x mc 2102's as they had a bit of soul. But ultimately the big 275 watt prem 8a's with Teflon caps are comfortably better.

As good as the prem350 is the LP 275's would do everything they do and then some. Something about very large tube amps that no ss amps can reach. I sold my prem350 and kept the Teflon prem 8a's. I must admit, I would like a prem350 as a ss alternative, especially in Summer, but at the time could not afford to keep both.

The LP 275's are better in every respect to their smaller brothers IMO. The smaller stereo tube amps are more intimate in their musical projection.
You do need somewhat full range speakers to appreciate what the large cj big dogs can do.

Choices, choices, choices
Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
I have listened to the Mac 501's extensively in my system twice and really wanted to love them. It does nothing wrong but IMO it does not approach the musically that the cj amps do. I much preferred the 2 x mc 2102's as they had a bit of soul. But ultimately the big 275 watt prem 8a's with Teflon caps are comfortably better.
As good as the prem350 is the LP 275's would do everything they do and then some. Something about very large tube amps that no ss amps can reach. I sold my prem350 and kept the Teflon prem 8a's. I must admit, I would like a prem350 as a ss alternative, especially in Summer, but at the time could not afford to keep both.The LP 275's are better in every respect to their smaller brothers IMO. The smaller stereo tube amps are more intimate in their musical projection.You do need somewhat full range speakers to appreciate what the large cj big dogs can do.Choices, choices, choices
Thank you for a very helpful response. Jeff (aka Tonepub) has commented that the LP275s sounds just like the LP70s but with more power. At first I read that as it sounds the same but can't play as loud. Now having read your comment, I think that he meant more than that, essentially, what you are saying about them doing things the smaller amps simply can't do. That has been my experience whenever I listen to powerful amps, at all listening volumes. The image is just more palpable and emphatic. Given my budget constraints, it will come down to tradeoffs. The real problem for me is that CJ does not make a SS power amp in the same price range as the Classic 60SE, ie., under -$5K. I could go used, but my experience with used has not been as good as it has been for many others on this board. So that has lead me to look at the Mac 320. I did read up on it, and it has had love it - hate it reviews by the devoted Mac fans. I'll have to give it a listen, along with the LP70s, which I have not heard.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 AM

Jeff (aka Tonepub) has commented that the LP275s sounds just like the LP70s but with more power.
Such a comment of its part is incredible, for me it is an insult against people of CJ,to have possessed LP70, LP140M and at present LP275M there is no comparison in term of authority and musicality including to very low level of listening

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 03-18-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
Jeff (aka Tonepub) has commented that the LP275s sounds just like the LP70s but with more power.
Such a comment of its part is incredible, for me it is an insult against people of CJ,to have possessed LP70, LP140M and at present LP275M there is no comparison in term of authority and musicality including to very low level of listening
Perhaps I have misquoted Jeff, in which case it is my error, not his. (It is unwise of me to rely on my memory this age.) I think he may have meant by "with more power" much and perhaps all of what you mean. But I am not sure. It was in a thread somewhere, perhaps on another forum. I will see if I can find it.