AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 08-02-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Charles one of the aspects of XVX of which Daryl is most rightfully proud is the easy, precisely repeatable adjustability of the rear firing tweeter. It's quite a contrast to what is entailed to adjust the WAMM. To help in the set up of the WAMM rear firing array, Vern constructed a breadboard with multiple resistors that could be hooked up in multiple configurations so we could test the level at which the array should be set. Most WAMMs are in rooms with very high ceilings where no adjustment is necessary. The XVX has found its way into a much greater variety of rooms and often rooms with much lower ceilings. As you have found, Daryl has made it an absolute joy to precisely set the rear tweeter on the XVX.

Bill
Bill, I totally agree. I couldn't believe it when I first saw the XVX. Usually, I can pick a speaker apart. That's not to say the speaker in question is not a fantastic speaker, but nevertheless I can find design deficiencies.

I can't find any in the XVX. The price is a total bargain for what you get. You and I have a slight disagreement concerning the Thor vs. a Subsonic. I like the Thor. I have about 390,000.00 in my XVX system including my Thor and amp and amp cables. It's the best money I ever spent.

The enjoyment I get everyday out of my system can't be expressed in dollars. I appreciate Wilson helping me out in understanding how to use the phase control. That was the final piece.

I like my Thor and XVX so much I haven't even played any massive organ through it or any of my bass blasts. I'm not even tempted. This is my final speaker system. I hope STC finds in his WAMM the same enjoyment I have found in my XVX.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Bill, I totally agree. I couldn't believe it when I first saw the XVX. Usually, I can pick a speaker apart. That's not to say the speaker in question is not a fantastic speaker, but nevertheless I can find design deficiencies.

I can't find any in the XVX. The price is a total bargain for what you get. You and I have a slight disagreement concerning the Thor vs. a Subsonic. I like the Thor. I have about 390,000.00 in my XVX system including my Thor and amp and amp cables. It's the best money I ever spent.

The enjoyment I get everyday out of my system can't be expressed in dollars. I appreciate Wilson helping me out in understanding how to use the phase control. That was the final piece.

I like my Thor and XVX so much I haven't even played any massive organ through it or any of my bass blasts. I'm not even tempted. This is my final speaker system. I hope STC finds in his WAMM the same enjoyment I have found in my XVX.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Hi ST,

Thank you for being a Wilson owner. I believe we met at the Hong Kong event. Trent, Peter, and I set up the WAMM there. That room was the most difficult room any of us have had to work with setting up a WAMM (It's actually two incredibly large rooms.).

In your room, and for the intimacy you desire, the amps you choose should be matched (ideally the same). The need for huge power may be a personal preference for other reasons, but intimacy/integration is not one of them. For me, and I have set up more WAMMs than anyone (with Dave, with Daryl, with Peter, and on my own), the perfect integration between WAMM and Master Subsonic is absolutely critical.

I also saw mentioned somewhere that the rear firing drivers in the WAMM are not adjustable. This is not correct. To change output on the rear WAMM array, resistors values are changed. There have been a couple of rooms I have experienced where that is necessary. For the most part however, no change has been needed or desired. It is purely a room dependent adjustment. FYI, the XVX rear control is an out growth of the adjustability in the WAMM. It just makes adjustment easier but not any more effective.

Again, thank you for being a Wilson owner. I know of only two WAMM owners who have posted on social media/forums. Most are just too busy in their lives and listening to music, as clearly you are. Enjoy!

Bill
Hi Bill,
Thank you for the advice.
One of the main reasons for me to go for WAMM is that I will have someone from Wilson Audio to do the setup and fine tune the speakers position for me at my music room

As you mentioned on the HK event: "That room was the most difficult room any of us have had to work with setting up a WAMM". Personally I attended many concerts (with world class orchestras and conductors) but quite often the experiences of the visits were far from ideal due to either the acoustic of the concert halls or my sitting positions! To a large extend, this can be solved in the home properly setup music room by experts:

Orchestra --> Hifi System
Concert Hall --> Music Room
Seat position in the hall --> Sweet Spot chair in the room
Conductor --> Experts who do the setup and fine tune the system
(E.g. Claudio Abbado, Herbert von Karajan, Sir Georg Solti, Sir Simon Rattle, just to name a few conductors who have to adjust the orchestras musicians performance to work in harmony with the hall acoustic to achieve the sound and colour of the music.)

Daryl visited my room around two (I think) years ago and he commented that my room is big enough (although bigger will be better) for me to consider WAMM. After spending 6 months with XVX in my room, I feel that I have sufficient confident of my room acoustic and It Is About Time to welcome WAMM and hence I decided within days after brief discussions with Wilson (on the speakers) and Pass Lab (amplifier for the subwoofer).

Due to the coronavirus, I will have to wait awhile before you guy can come to Singapore to do the fine tuning but I am ok with the wait

Thank You.

ST Cheng
Old 08-03-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Thank You Charles