AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 07-30-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
Brave decision in my opinion to directly couple the (blunt) spikes to the wooden floor with these fantastic but very heavy speakers. Are you able to keep the speakers perfectly level as I imagine the weight will not be the same on all four spikes.

My comment is not ment to be negative, but just interested how this works out.
imprezap2, I remember when first spiking my Alexx, after the dealer left I tried to jiggle the speakers and I noticed a slight unsteadiness in one of the speakers. They returned and corrected this issue.

A slider accomplishes nothing except being able to slide and protecting the floor, which I don't need to or want to do. The speakers are almost perfectly positioned. They are incredibly solid/anchored/level with zero jiggle front to back or side to side. My room has tremendous advantages, one of them being a level sturdy hardwood floor. It's a rec room/mancave. I don't care abut the small indentations into the hardwood made by the blunt spikes. It simply worked out.

Best

Charles

p.s. I think possibly some folks might prefer a direct coupling with a blunt spike to their hardwood floor. I don't know, depends on the floor. In the living room, obviously no. In a rec room like mine, I think a direct couple without the slider at least as good if not better. Leveling is not really an issue. It's no harder or easier, once you discover your perfect location, to level with or without the slider. The dealer had a much easier time of it with the acoustic diode than with the modified inferior spike, which left the right speaker maybe one fourth inch shorter. It was noticeably taller if you looked carefully but quite solid and without jiggle.

Last edited by Charles; 07-30-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:15 PM

A spike cup or a slider will not only protect the floor but also spread the weight over a larger area of the floor, I am just afraid that over time some spikes will go deeper into the floor then others. (the four spikes will not have the same load as the speaker will be heavier on the front side)

Anyway, if it works it works.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
A spike cup or a slider will not only protect the floor but also spread the weight over a larger area of the floor, I am just afraid that over time some spikes will go deeper into the floor then others. (the four spikes will not have the same load as the speaker will be heavier on the front side)

Anyway, if it works it works.
The point of the spike (no pun intended) is not to spread the weight but to minimize the contact between the floor and the speaker. The chief technician did mention the difference in weight but there is zero difference in the indention of the spikes. I know that if I had relatively thick carpet I would not want the slider under the speaker. I would want the sharp spike. Because it is blunt, I don't think the spike will have any progression into my floor over time, but it is certainly a good thought. Given the choice, I prefer the direct contact with the floor with the blunt spike to the sharp spike with the slider.

Best

Charles
Old 12-03-2021, 01:38 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It went perfectly. Better than I could ever have expected. XVX sounded fabulous before spiking. First listening impression: Sounds remarkably better now. I am super pleased.
Congratulation Charles!
I think you have little left to optimize now, truly an exceptional system!
Old 12-03-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntosh-maTRiX View Post
Congratulation Charles!
I think you have little left to optimize now, truly an exceptional system!
Thank you so very much!

Best

Charles