AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Sometimes I wonder if the vinyl venders don't just re-shrink wrap the returns and send them out again as new hoping the next customer won't be as picky as the one who returned it. Do the record venders return defective albums to the record company for credit, or just reship them?
For their own QRP/AP albums Acoustic Sounds cuts the center out and recycles the remaining vinyl for reuse in their stampers. I saw those recyclers in action. They make quite a loud racket. I think they just take a loss on returns from other manufacturers. IIRC, they told me those can't be returned. I did see an awful lot of returns sitting in their offices (not the warehouse).

I really doubt AS re-wraps and resells anything. One, it isn't legal to resell something as new once opened and returned by a customer, and two I believe they are an honest company. Ditto for MusicDirect, Elusive, etc.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I only buy new vinyl and on line; 180 & 200 gm basically the very best I can find. I'll think nothing of dropping $30-$60 per album. This is a mere pittance to what I have investing in my analog rig.

When the new vinyl arrives, it always goes through my double matrix cleaner first. I only have about 550-600 albums, but every single one is stellar sounding and dead silent.
I agree and I don't understand all the pops --, guess Mister Bill tuned it to a tee & therefore I'm avoiding those. I'm in debt to him for his customer service & attention to detail. I just wish I retained 10% of what he did.

I understand dirty records and pressing flaws -- dirty records get cleaned and pressing flaws or those that exhibit any flaw get returned. Plain & Simple I say.

When I lower the tone arm -- it's absolute audio bliss and nothing else.

Happy Holidays Folks,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 12-09-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 PM

Reading all these comments I can't help but be reminded of my own re-acquaintance with vinyl not too long ago. I have documented the experience in the analog sub-forum, but, long story short, after spending $200 at a local store on brand new, "audiophile-quality" pressings and discovering that pretty much 75% of them were either defective, lousy-sounding, or both, only to be told post-facto that no refunds were accepted at the store when it came to vinyl ("too many complains... every vinyl sale is final" were their words), I now only buy used vinyl and rarely pay more than $3. To my surprise, I soon discovered that most used pressings sound a heck of a lot better anyway, even the ones that have seen better days and are not 180gms. And I work 3 jobs, so spending hours on end cleaning stuff is out of the question. A royal PITA is putting it mildly.

Nothing against the format per se. I collect old soundtracks that are only available on vinyl, for example, and love admiring the artwork. And I like the analog sound, even though I believe both digital and analog have pros and cons. When one is in the mood, the weather is conducive, things are cleaned and brushed, and stars align in undecipherable cosmic synergy, vinyl is undoubtedly a wonderful, wonderful thing. But in my experience, all of this very rarely happens.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
The other thing to bear in mind is that AS and many of the leading high-end vinyl companies don't dehorn their stampers . So the LP may have some pops and tics that go away with two or three plays. Which would you rather have, polished off highs or waiting for two or three plays for the LP to sound quiet? I know what my choice is.
Myles, forgive my ignorance - what does "dehorn" mean? I think I get the stamper part, but I'm not familiar with "dehorn". Thanks.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Myles, forgive my ignorance - what does "dehorn" mean? I think I get the stamper part, but I'm not familiar with "dehorn". Thanks.
Go to lacquer prep section:

- How LPs Are Made : Recording Magazine -
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post

Myles.......Informative read. Thank you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post

Myles, thanks! I learned a lot there...where the bass is in the mix (L-R) influences the cutting/width of the groove, etc. All that in addition to the dehorning. A great read. Do we have a general "Vinyl" thread? I think the link to the article would make a great sticky.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Myles, thanks! I learned a lot there...where the bass is in the mix (L-R) influences the cutting/width of the groove, etc. All that in addition to the dehorning. A great read. Do we have a general "Vinyl" thread? I think the link to the article would make a great sticky.
Ivan?
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Vinyl & Accessories - AudioAficionado.org

Maybe Ivan can move this there?

Happy Holidays Folks,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 12-10-2012 at 01:12 PM.