AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 08-27-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeout59 View Post
I sent my 27a back to Dennis to replace the volume pot with a DACT. "
It helps to also have it in the amp. The combination of both DACT's in the signal path reduces sound quality losses significantly. Of course, this makes more sense for some of us which opted for having volume control in the amp itself, like in my case, to use the Decware ZBit direct into the amp for balanced glory! Especially if one wants to achieve that "sweet spot" of variable volume settings in both components instead of having the ubiquitous maxed out volume in the amp, just controlling the volume through the preamp.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 08-27-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:55 PM

I can usually hear a difference, well I don't always hear differences between things, in seconds. I usually pick out a 20-30 second clip from a very well recorded song which has certain characteristics I can listen for and which I've listened to many times.

In my recent comparisons, it took only seconds to hear the difference between the 6V6 vs the 5881. And for the 6CA7 vs the KT77. A well recorded string bass which is playing in its lowest registers can elicit an immediate difference, some tubes and equipment can produce very well defined strings, you can hear the vibrations. On others it is looser, sloppier. On yet others it is more pronounced / emphasized. On some tubes a piano can sound more forward in the mix (more midrange energy), or perhaps some brushed cymbals in the background are more distinct and separated vs being recessed.

Female vocals can be different. They can sound deeper or chestier, or shriller. They can be beautiful separated from the music and just hang in space.

Using complex music I find it more difficult to discern differences. Head-banger rock is a waste of time for me to use. Same for poor recordings which sound compressed or tinny.

Determining which combination works best for me is something that can take months. A characteristic which sounds good at first, can be grating over time. And when you take into account that the resultant sound is a synergistic combination of your driver stage tube, your power tubes and your rectifier, and that you might have 100 combinations in your tube box, then it can become a never ending process.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Yeah! and apparently you are a components-rolling junkie!
Ha! Not really. I just have the three... er four preamps. Selling off the Bryston now and probably the C46 very soon if the C100A shines.

I did know right away that I didn't like the 6AR6 power tubes. They didn't have much in dynamics.

I honestly think the preamp tubes make the greatest changes in SQ.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:39 PM

I have four preamps. They each have their purpose.

Dynaco PAS-4 with Amperex JAN 7308 tubes. Very clean with a hint of tube goodness. Imparts a bit of smoothness. Once ran a blind test of it vs an ARC SP9 Mk III tube preamp from the mid-90s and couldn't hear a difference.

Conrad Johnson PV-10A with Mullard CV4003 (12AU7). Warmer and with a lot of gain.

Parasound Halo P5 - solid state. Digital bass management, nice Burr-Brown DAC, remote control, clean sound.

Purest Sound System 500 - volume controller with high quality parts. Kimber silver wire, silver solder, platinum Cardas jacks, hand-matched mono volume pots. In the right setup this can sound like it isn't there. Very transparent. But no gain and must match impedances.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Yeah! and apparently you are a components-rolling junkie!
I resemble that remark.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeout59 View Post
Thanks for the tip on Tube World Express and the 80 rectifier. I only have two for my LP27a, a National Union it came with, and a Cunningham from flea bay sold as NOS/NIB. It doesn't look new to me, base is a little loose, not sure if a new tube would have a base that turns slightly.

I sent my 27a back to Dennis to replace the volume pot with a DACT. He recommended another upgrade which I said yes to. I don't know the cost and don't care, this gear sounds so good and is so much fun:

"it makes little engineering sense but … I just completed an LP-27a this afternoon with the stepped DACT attenuator and my wife noticed a change in the sound immediately as I did as well. What the heck ….. I also put in very special silver output coupling caps along with a second filter choke in the regulated power supply. I would recommend you upgrade all the way with these parts as well."
Your welcome on the Tungsram 80.

Let us know how the upgrades work out. Coupling capacitors do make a difference. I wonder if they will be Mundorf Silvers?

I'm going to try a Jupiter Red Astron with a Vitamin Q in my amp. I used this combo in another amp and really liked it.

Changing caps in these amps is easy and I will post some photos that may help some of you that are on the fence.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=Bombadil;800195]I can usually hear a difference, well I don't always hear differences between things, in seconds. I usually pick out a 20-30 second clip from a very well recorded song which has certain characteristics I can listen for and which I've listened to many times.

In my recent comparisons, it took only seconds to hear the difference between the 6V6 vs the 5881. And for the 6CA7 vs the KT77. A well recorded string bass which is playing in its lowest registers can elicit an immediate difference, some tubes and equipment can produce very well defined strings, you can hear the vibrations. On others it is looser, sloppier. On yet others it is more pronounced / emphasized. On some tubes a piano can sound more forward in the mix (more midrange energy), or perhaps some brushed cymbals in the background are more distinct and separated vs being recessed.

Female vocals can be different. They can sound deeper or chestier, or shriller. They can be beautiful separated from the music and just hang in space.

Using complex music I find it more difficult to discern differences. Head-banger rock is a waste of time for me to use. Same for poor recordings which sound compressed or tinny.

Determining which combination works best for me is something that can take months. A characteristic which sounds good at first, can be grating over time. And when you take into account that the resultant sound is a synergistic combination of your driver stage tube, your power tubes and your rectifier, and that you might have 100 combinations in your tube box, then it can become a never ending process.[/QUOTE]

It can be maddening too. I have narrowed it down to 3-4 power tube combinations and am done experimenting.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Your welcome on the Tungsram 80.

Let us know how the upgrades work out. Coupling capacitors do make a difference. I wonder if they will be Mundorf Silvers?

I'm going to try a Jupiter Red Astron with a Vitamin Q in my amp. I used this combo in another amp and really liked it.

Changing caps in these amps is easy and I will post some photos that may help some of you that are on the fence.
Dennis just finished and sent my PSE amp (awaiting FedEx). He installed Jantzen 1200v silver z caps. However, he may use something different in the LP27a.

I purchased my LP-27a with the DACT from the beginning, and believe that it has Audyn caps, so he may use Audyn True Silver as well.

He seems to like the German coupling caps, and frankly the price of Jantzen or Audyn caps are much less than other boutique caps. I trust his ears, but he also may be working to a price point as well (he didn't succeed in business by making products he couldn't sell). That being said, simply throwing money at boutique parts is no guarantee of good sound.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:26 PM

After a few weeks of ownership, I'm loving my fire-bottle so much I want to explore the headamp version (Inspire-IHA1).

I see on ebay Dennis every so often sells some headamps.
I'm in zero rush to get one, because I have plenty of alternatives.

Would you guys recommend I wait for Dennis to list a headamp on ebay, or just go for the Moon Audio version?
Old 08-27-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3workshop View Post
Ha! Not really. I just have the three... er four preamps. Selling off the Bryston now and probably the C46 very soon if the C100A shines.

I did know right away that I didn't like the 6AR6 power tubes. They didn't have much in dynamics.

I honestly think the preamp tubes make the greatest changes in SQ.
I agree on your take of the 6AR6's. In my system, they basically stink! I'm using the 80 in my LP-27a and Silvertone straight-shouldered 27's or balloon-type 56's. Both quite good. The preamp enhances every combination except balanced inputs through the ZBit direct to the amp.

I have not yet tried the 274B M-P in my preamp as a replacement for the 80, though.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 08-27-2016 at 09:59 PM.