AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Remote Control

Remote Control Power is Nothing without Control

Old 10-01-2015, 11:10 AM

Default Controlling Tube Amps Remotely

Hi folks,
I apologize if this is a very basic question. I am just getting back into hifi audio after not really buying anything for about 20 years. My new set up includes a Dennis Had Inspire 6L6 amp and a Dared -- Chinese manufacturer -- tube preamp. The Dared originally came with a remote for volume. But neither came with a remote for power. The main issue is that the Dared, while sounding very nice, is poorly designed so that the on/off switch is on the back. I'd like to leave the switch on the amp always on.

I use a Carver tuner that has remote controlling its power and a switched plug in the back that is switched with the Carver unit. I'd like to plug a strip into the Carver and then plug the two tube amps into that strip.

Thanks in advance. Steve
Old 10-01-2015, 11:20 AM

I see two potential issues with what you are proposing. First of all would be the power rating/capacity of the switched outlet on the Carver tuner, and whether it is sufficient to support the combined power draw of your preamp and power amp. You would have to check the power consumption rating for the pre and power amp, add their wattage together and then make sure that the tuner's switched outlet can support that much power. Secondly, it is standard procedure to always power on your source, preamp, and power amp in that order to avoid turn on transients from going to your speakers. If you powered the pre and power amps simultaneously you could generate noise that could potentially damage your speakers. Hope this helps!
Old 10-01-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
I see two potential issues with what you are proposing. First of all would be the power rating/capacity of the switched outlet on the Carver tuner, and whether it is sufficient to support the combined power draw of your preamp and power amp. You would have to check the power consumption rating for the pre and power amp, add their wattage together and then make sure that the tuner's switched outlet can support that much power. Secondly, it is standard procedure to always power on your source, preamp, and power amp in that order to avoid turn on transients from going to your speakers. If you powered the pre and power amps simultaneously you could generate noise that could potentially damage your speakers. Hope this helps!
Thanks Audio Bill. Sounds like the way to go may be to simply control the preamp through the switched plug. The preamp's wattage draw by itself is likely within the rating of the plug. And the Inspire power amp's switch is easily accessible.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:25 PM

Thread resurrection

My McIntosh mono blocks have no power switch at all.

I managed to find a 15 amp switch, controlled by my Alexa unit (echo+hub). Currently it turns the amps on/off, and control the lights in my room, with voice control.