AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tuners

Tuners FM, HD, Satellite

Old 09-23-2021, 03:19 AM

Default Magnum Dynalab do not recommend me to use ST-2

Hi,
After discussion with MD, they do not recommend
Me to go with ST2, due to location of my home which is
1. In big city where lots of tall building surrounding my home.
2. Station is very close to my home around 3 miles.
MD worried about multi-path reception and the lack
Of line of sight to station as difficult for the antenna to work effectively.

Currently I use Terk Edge+ with pretty good result
Most of the time.

Here are attached pictures of where I live and where I initially planned to install ST-2 .

Toga

IMG_5538.jpgIMG_5537.jpgIMG_5541.jpg
Old 09-23-2021, 09:52 AM

FM reception can be tricky in urban areas. Tall buildings can be a hindrance, although it's likely that the actual antenna height exceeds the height of the building between you and it, and that should help. When you say your present arrangement works "most of the time," can you tell us what happens when it isn't working well? Is it weather related? Something else?
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:34 AM

I use an antenna that's no longer available that's similar to the ST-2, except it is tuned to the 88-92 band. I live a few miles from all the big station transmitters in Chicago so those aren't an issue to pick up even with a dipole. However, my reception has improved to the public radio band w/this antenna. If you mostly listen to your local stations, I'm sure you are fine with the Terk.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
FM reception can be tricky in urban areas. Tall buildings can be a hindrance, although it's likely that the actual antenna height exceeds the height of the building between you and it, and that should help. When you say your present arrangement works "most of the time," can you tell us what happens when it isn't working well? Is it weather related? Something else?

During daytime the reception can be broken and very noisy. I have to rotate the Terk a lot and try to move it up and down to find that fine line.
At night, most stations are very clear and strong.
I think there are many illegal RF activities during the day
That frequencies are so close to radio stations. Or many electronics operating in huge office buildings interfere
With FM signal I don’t know.

But consider I spent plenty on cables that later I didn’t like and not use them anymore. Why not give 200$ ST-2 a try, if it create reception anomalies such as multi-path,or etc.. just disconnect it and leave it, much less damage than unhappy cables for sure.

Toga
Old 09-23-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
I use an antenna that's no longer available that's similar to the ST-2, except it is tuned to the 88-92 band. I live a few miles from all the big station transmitters in Chicago so those aren't an issue to pick up even with a dipole. However, my reception has improved to the public radio band w/this antenna. If you mostly listen to your local stations, I'm sure you are fine with the Terk.

Yes, Stations are all within 3 miles. But during daytime
TERK is broken and noisy on some stations.

Toga
Old 09-25-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Yes, Stations are all within 3 miles. But during daytime TERK is broken and noisy on some stations ...
Do you know the ERP of these stations?

The Terk is an amplified antenna, correct? It may be overloading your tuner's input. You might want to try using just a basic T-wire dipole antenna. It will be lower gain than the Terk and that might resolve your issue.

Typically, especially at close range, FM reception is pretty consistent.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:48 PM

Default Magnum Dynalab do not recommend me to use ST-2

You might also consider adding a Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth. While this is an FM signal amplifier, it also can de-amplify adjacent frequencies to help with multi-path. For example, if trying to capture 89.7, you can either set it to 89.7 and amplify the signal to varying degrees, or set it to 89.9 and depress that signal. The MD-205 runs around $500 new, but there’s a used one on USAudiomart for $200 at the moment.

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/md-205-...-fm-amplifier/
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 09-25-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
You might also consider adding a Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth. While this is an FM signal amplifier, it also can de-amplify adjacent frequencies to help with multi-path ...
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/md-205-...-fm-amplifier/
That's a good suggestion. I had one of those many years ago when I lived in a different location. It was the original Signal Sleuth (not component width, but a boxy affair) but quite effective. It did add a little noise, but there's no such thing as a free lunch.

If you do decide to try the Signal Sleuth, I'd use a T-wire dipole where you live and not connect it to the Terk antenna.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:12 AM

I don't really know the ERP or knowing what it is.
MD205 is quite interesting in concepts.
TERK has amplifier but adjustable and I tried with the gain knob and tried rotated it
around despite being omni.

I think , as ST-2 is not that expensive at all I think I will give it a try.
and may use it indoor to reduce gain.

Toga
Old 10-19-2021, 09:29 PM

IMG_7117.jpgIMG_7124.jpgIMG_7122.jpg

Got it anyway.
Still test indoor.

Toga