AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 10-04-2015, 12:18 PM

Both 802 and 803 feature our FST midrange (something the 805 lacks.) As a technology, FST reduces distortion in the midrange which results in noticeably clearer presentation from sounds such as vocals and guitars.

Then you've got the topic of bass. 802 and 803 Rohacell woofers run from the very lowest frequencies up to roughly 350Hz. So while a sub might give you more power and extension at the very lowest frequencies, you still have 100-350Hz to content with. 802 and 803 both to a better job in that region than 805, or a subwoofer for that matter.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDeMoney View Post
I just assume that 802D or 803D should sound better than 805D. Maybe I am wrong; would need to listen to them first. 805D certainly costs less.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I just assume that 802D or 803D should sound better than 805D. Maybe I am wrong; would need to listen to them first. 805D certainly costs less.
Yes...both the 802D & 803D will sound better because they're 3 way, the 805D is only a 2 way. The 802D and 803D will have better mid bass and lower bass than the 805D but they're very inefficient Speaker's requiring high current and high wattage type of Amp in order to drive them fully. By going with a 2 way type of bookshelf speakers, its highly recommended that you add a subwoofer to give you the mid bass and lower bass that your lacking vs the floorstanding.... just suggesting alternative....I have demo's many type of floorstanding, electrostatic, and bookshelf speakers and finally deciding with the bookshelf speakers with the sub. I have also noticed owners of 802's adding a sub to their system..I like the sound of the 802, and was at one point of thinking of purchasing them but I realized it would be an overkill in my tiny space.

Last edited by Spinpsycho; 10-04-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:06 PM

Loudspeakers in general are inefficient, converting a considerable amount of power into heat. That said, the sensitivity on products like 802 Diamond are reasonable at 90dB 2.82V/1M. Where they require a competent amplifier is in the low frequencies. Not too difficult to find provided you stay away from single ended tube designs and OTLs. Either way, you pay for good power to the loudspeaker, or the subwoofer.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinpsycho View Post
Yes...both the 802D & 803D will sound better because they're 3 way, the 805D is only a 2 way. The 802D and 803D will have better mid bass and lower bass than the 805D but they're very inefficient Speaker's requiring high current and high wattage type of Amp in order to drive them fully. By going with a 2 way type of bookshelf speakers, its highly recommended that you add a subwoofer to give you the mid bass and lower bass that your lacking vs the floorstanding.... just suggesting alternative....I have demo's many type of floorstanding, electrostatic, and bookshelf speakers and finally deciding with the bookshelf speakers with the sub. I have also noticed owners of 802's adding a sub to their system..I like the sound of the 802, and was at one point of thinking of purchasing them but I realized it would be an overkill in my tiny space.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:27 PM

I would still choose amp power rating close to the upper limit of B&W's recommendations. The big B&W's need lots...lots power to drive them properly. I'm pretty sure most owners of the 802's are not skimpy on the Amp department. Either way if you can afford the big B&W's you should have no problem spending big bucks on a Amp.

Last edited by Spinpsycho; 10-04-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:39 PM

Unless you want to play at the maximum volume capabilities of the product, you are fine with considerably less power. I regularly use 200W with 802 Diamond and there is plenty of control and volume. I've even used 60W integrateds such as Pass Labs' INT-60 to great effect. Then again, that is a very competent design.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
I would still choose amp power rating close to the upper limit of B&W's recommendations. The big B&W's need lots...lots power to drive them properly. I'm pretty sure most owners of the 802's are not skimpy on the Amp department. Either way if you can afford the big B&W's you should have no problem spending big bucks on a Amp.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:59 PM

Patrick,

Did you use to work for Sumiko?
Old 10-04-2015, 09:35 PM

There's is a sound difference when you use a High current/ high wattage amps vs low current/ low wattage amps when your playing your music at low volume.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
There's is a sound difference when you use a High current/ high wattage amps vs low current/ low wattage amps when your playing your music at low volume.
Yep headroom is a good thing, the higher current amps can provide that and do it quicker in most cases and very cleanly.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 10-05-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
Yep headroom is a good thing, the higher current amps can provide that and do it quicker in most cases and very cleanly.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
It's better to over power than under power.
My previous speaker's were the entry level floorstanding B&W 683 S1. The recommend Amp power: 25W to 200W. The SC-09 TX AV receiver were first use to drive the 683's. The SC-09TX is rated at 200W x 2 stereo. At the beginning, I thought it was enough power to drive the 683's but I had to turn the volume up in order for me to hear them fully. And when playing at low volume they sounded muffled. I realized that i need to start looking for a high current amp to drive them properly. So I decided on the McIntosh MC452 Amp to drive 683's and it made a difference in sound quality. It felt like the 683's woke up from hibernation, it transform the 683's. With the MC452 it sounded more dynamic and clear, I could actually enjoy listing the 683's at low volume than before.

Last edited by Spinpsycho; 10-05-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
There are some people who prefer a pair of 805s paired with a pair of good quality subs to any of the floor standers in the 800 series.

For me, this drove me toward the 804. There are still separate bass drivers there to relieve the mid range of also having to handle low frequencies, but the bass drivers are still of a nominal size that keeps the overall tonal balance very neutral. Better yet, the bass drivers allow an easier roll off to a good quality sub.

For those of us who appreciate that "in the chest" bass thump (like me), NOT to be confused with bloomy, tubby or boomy bass, then this is probably even better than having even an all out pair of full size 800s as the reviews I've read for the JL Audio Fathom series have been in conjunction with 800s once or twice, and the reviewer actually stated they were startled at how much more bass extension the JLs actually ADDED even to the sizable bass complement on the 800.

My choice however would be the Fathom F110, since it seems like that is easier to roll off from the small drivers on the 805 and 804, despite the Fathom's Auto EQ feature.