AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 06-06-2018, 02:03 PM

Lew, it's been too long since I heard by 800D2's, so I don't recall all of the differences. However, I have one song in particular that I love, and that serves well for hearing differences in equipment. It's Mark Knopfler's "Our Shangri-La" off his Shangri-La CD. I have it in 24 bit, I don't recall the sampling rate. For me, it was hard to hear as separate voices when he sings the chorus in harmony with himself. That was with my 800D2's and ATI 6007 amp, with Bel Canto 2.7 DAC directly feeding the amplifier. The first improvement I heard was when I introduced the ML No. 536 amps: some separation. Next was the No. 523 preamp (DAC -> 523 preamp -> 536 amp): significantly more separation. Lastly I bought the Revel Salon2's: a whole new level of separation to the extent that I hear two very distinct voices. You'll have to excuse my inept description, but the difference is profound and greatly impacts my enjoyment. I loved my 800D2's and listened to them extensively, with glee! But the Revels are my preference between these two.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:22 AM

I enjoy that album which I also have, but just as a red book release. I enjoy pretty much all of Knopfler's music and consider him one of the most thoughtful and tasty artists extent.

I'm sure I'd like the B&Ws, well I did actually! I don't know that the Revels perform on a different level but they are so well suited to my taste and budget that it's hard to see changing them out at this point for anything else I might be able to justify.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:46 PM

I have the Revel salon1 that I love.
Even more since I fed them with Mc 611
Many friends who have Wilson What pupey and Sacha come to my house and go home upset and even troubled in their head, and I'm proud of it. Hi hi hi
Revel Salon 1 ...yes yes yes
Old 06-07-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I enjoy that album which I also have, but just as a red book release. I enjoy pretty much all of Knopfler's music and consider him one of the most thoughtful and tasty artists extent.

I'm sure I'd like the B&Ws, well I did actually! I don't know that the Revels perform on a different level but they are so well suited to my taste and budget that it's hard to see changing them out at this point for anything else I might be able to justify.
I’m not certain by your response if you perceived I was conveying an opinion that the Salon2’s are on a different level as the 800D2’s; if so, please allow me to clarify - I consider them to be peers and not a lot of difference. Either is good enough to satisfy me.

I’ve heard others that were equally splendid: Wilson, Sonus-Faber, Paradigm, Thiel. Frankly, there are a lot of great speakers to choose from. I’ve found the room to be a difference maker more than anything other than speakers. We are fortunate to have two dealers that I’m aware of in SE Michigan who have listening rooms that allow their wares to sing! It tempts me to build a new home so that I might have a similar in-home experience. I’m still thinking that through.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
I’m not certain by your response if you perceived I was conveying an opinion that the Salon2’s are on a different level as the 800D2’s; if so, please allow me to clarify - I consider them to be peers and not a lot of difference. Either is good enough to satisfy me.
I understood you We're on the same page here. I especially agree about the importance of the room.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:24 AM

Default -

Hello .... I am in the process of considering this method for a pair of Alesis Two monitors.... did this project get finished and what were the results sounding like ?

Regards
Old 07-12-2022, 08:33 PM

Late to the party! I have a pair powered by a Luxman M- 900u. They replaced my beloved B&W 801 Matrix S3. I heard them in a good demo room next to a pair of 800D’s and Wilson Sashas. The overall balance and an amazing deal won me over, but they all sang a great song. However my old listening space was a huge octagon with lots of windows and while they were nice I always felt there was something really missing. Then we moved to a place with a real back wall, very little glass and a much more space for setting them up right. Oh my. A year later and I am still amazed at how wonderful they sound. Tell me about the importance of the room….it is critical with these beauties. I will never sell mine. In fact just bought a complete set of spare drivers!
Old 07-13-2022, 05:46 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
My question is this, why do these speakers not get a whole lot of respect?
"Made in China" says it all for me. Support your friends.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-13-2022, 12:31 PM

Yes, I still enjoy my Revel Salon 2's. I have 200 w per channel, but still I want to hear them with even more power.
2 channel system: Parasound JC 1+ Mono Amplifiers; Luxman C900u preamp; Acoustech PH-1P phono preamp; VPI Classic, Ortofon A90; Esoteric K-03 & Vacuum State GMBH modified Sony ES5400 SACD/CD; REVEL Ultima Salon 2; Shunyata EVEREST, Shunyata Sigma V2 XC, Shunyata Sigma & Alpha, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse Series 7 IC's,Phono Cables are Tellurium Q Silver Diamond, Audience, Lessloss, Acrolink, Teresonic Silver EXP, Tellurium Q Silver Diamond speaker cables; HyperSpike HS-5 rack;Stillpoints Ultra 5 V2 under amps & preamp
Old 07-13-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
"Made in China" says it all for me. Support your friends.
Mine were made in the USA. And then they moved assembly to Mexico. Meanwhile Meanwhile I don’t quite understand the OP. As far as I’m aware they get plenty of respect.