AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 09-25-2020, 11:52 PM

Default Isolated Ground on Duplex Receptacle

Hey,

I am going to install 2 PS Audio Power Port duplex receptacles for the hi fi system of a buddy audiophile of mine this weekend, and I have some questions regarding the fact that these duplexes have an isolated ground.

He has two 15A 14/2 romex dedicated lines. Each line will have a single duplex, and that's it. I know the Power Ports are 20A and that by code it's illegal to wire a 20A duplex on a 15A line but my friend does not have power hungry components and he will be only using 15A anyway so this should be fine. His house was built in 2012 so electrical is fairly recent.

So, about the isolated ground, how to I wire this with a 14/2 wire? Do I do like any other duplex where I wire the black wire on the brass screw, the white wire on the silver screw and the bare copper ground wire on the ground screw? I have read online that a third red wire would be used with those duplexes. I am a bit perplexed on this. I understand that the two ground pins are connected to the ground screw and that the ground screw is isolated from the yolk. So if I wire like I do normally with standard duplexes, it should not be an issue.. unless I missed something?

Thanks for your input
Old 09-26-2020, 01:43 AM

Why would it be "illegal" to install a 20 amp rated outlet on a 15 amp circuit as the outlet will only draw whatever current the breaker rating allows for and no more. Wire the outlet the same as the one you replace it with. You're only replacing a cheap builder spec outlet with a better built one.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:21 AM

Is that 14/2 with no ground conductor, or does it have a ground?
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 09-26-2020, 09:45 AM

See NFPA NEC 210.21(B)(3) Receptacle Ratings. The NEC speaks to this via a table in the section I referenced above.

You cannot use a 20A outlet on a branch circuit rated for 15A because the 20 A outlet allows equipment drawing more than 15A to be connected the branch circuit.

A 15A outlet limits the current to 12A as that is the maximum current that an appliance having a 15A plug can draw.

As a practical matter in your friend’s case it doesn’t make any difference since he is connecting low current equipment via the 20A outlet.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 09-26-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Is that 14/2 with no ground conductor, or does it have a ground?
It does have a ground, along the black and white wires in 14 ga.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
See NFPA NEC 210.21(B)(3) Receptacle Ratings. The NEC speaks to this via a table in the section I referenced above.

You cannot use a 20A outlet on a branch circuit rated for 15A because the 20 A outlet allows equipment drawing more than 15A to be connected the branch circuit.

A 15A outlet limits the current to 12A as that is the maximum current that an appliance having a 15A plug can draw.

As a practical matter in your friend’s case it doesn’t make any difference since he is connecting low current equipment via the 20A outlet.
Thanks! They were installed successfully and my friend is really happy about the improvements they bring.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:

The 20A outlet has the horizontal slot allowing a plug meant for both a typical 15A or higher 20A load whereas the 15A outlet only allows a plug meant for a max of 15A.

IMG_3473.JPG

Last edited by Cohibaman; 09-27-2020 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:26 PM

Only 1 issue out there that I am surprised noone has flagged namely that the majority of powercords that are supplied or available on order which are 20amp, have 20amp female at the component end but for some reason are shipped with 15amp male plugs, not the proper 20amp male with one vertical and 1 horizontal blade.

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 09-28-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Only 1 issue out there that I am surprised noone has flagged namely that the majority of powercords that are supplied or available on order which are 20amp, habe 20amp female at the component end but for some reason are shipped with 15amp male plugs, not the proper 20amp male with one vertical and 1 horizontal blade.

Interesting. I’ve not seen that. They simply shouldn’t exist and I know CSA and UL would have serious heartburn over that.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Interesting. I’ve not seen that. They simply shouldn’t exist and I know CSA and UL would have serious heartburn over that.
The ironic thing is that if you look carefully at most bespoke male terminations from companies like Furutech and others, on the higher end at least, the build of the 15amp male and 20amp male are identical except for the horizonatal safety prong and UL cert for the 20amp version. I may be wrong about this,...just passing on what I've seen, and the answers I've received when inquiring.

All that stated, the best move is to ensure you order the right male termination.