AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Tools, Storage, and Power

Tools, Storage, and Power Getting the Job Done Right

Old 11-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
I've had an Oreck XL21 for a few years now. I had another Oreck model prior to this one. I have always liked how light it is and the Oreck store always convinced me that this vacuum was one of the best for my carpet. I have it serviced every year since the XL21 gets a free service every year for 21 years, parts not included. My home is very clean. Most the people I know including my wife think I clean to much. Yesterday I bought my daughter a new inexpensive Eureka vacuum from Target for her college dorm. She said everyone else in the dorms that have them cost far less than that. I asked if I could try it once in our home before she takes it to school. Look what came out of my carpets. It's gross. I had vacuumed the day prior with my Oreck XL21.
What model Eureka was it?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Music Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
What model Eureka was it?
Hi Stephen,
See third post.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 11-23-2013, 06:18 AM

The new Shark Navigator Professional by a long shot, it's bag less and has a complete seal with hepa filter and as an allergy sufferer as well I don't see a speck of dust after dusting then vacuuming and the air is much better.Its done wonders to my carpet as it looks new again. for half the price of the Dyson and accessories to make getting into and under things easy I can't recommend it enough!

Last edited by Audiofan1; 05-02-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
You're lucky. Most Kirby salesman won't leave until you throw them out! It's company policy- wear the customer down so they will buy just to get rid of the salesman! Their 1930's design is over priced by about 10 times.

You folks seem to want to knock the Kirby Vacuum Cleaners . . . .

Seems funny to me that this 1930's design continues to be one of the most highly rated machines on the market (Consumer Reports & others) and is usually at the top of any lists of the most reliable, trouble free, lowest repairs needed vacuums.

And it is also funny to me that this 10X overpriced machine just keeps running, year after year. Probably some of those 1930's machines still in service. Not uncommon to see 25 year old Kirby's still being used and loved by homeowners. They may be 10X overpriced; but it is possible that they outlast lesser brands by 10X. They just never break! My mother got a Kirby in about 1955 and my sister is still using it several times a week - must be pretty good quality!

I'm probably prejudiced because I actually own several vacuums in several locations and the Kirbys continue to be the most serviceable.

In each of my houses, there is a vacuum cleaner on each floor and one in the out-buildings. (I have a bad back and bad knees and can't carry the things.)

I also much prefer cleaners with bags over "bagless" (Again, personal preference, I just find the bags to be more convenient and less "messy")

I own:

3 Kirbys
2 Panasonics
1 Electrolux
1 Aerus Electrolux
1 Dyson
2 Miele
1 Kenmore
1 old Filter Queen

The 3 Kirbys are all here in my main house and I (and my cleaning lady) really like them. I bought all three from "failed" Kirby salesmen - their demonstrators - for about $300 each, including all accessories.

The Electrolux and Miele machines are my choice for canister cleaners. Extremely well made and convenient to use.

I despise the Dyson and the Filter Queen.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 11-23-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Hear Ye, Hear Ye - Your attention please for an important announcement!!! This being a forum dedicated to high end audio and music, and finding, to my surprise, that vacuum cleaners have become a hot topic of discussion, I decided to do my part. To that end, I gathered all my various cleaners and tested them for their tonality and audio output and put them in appropriate places in a lineup destined to make vacuum cleaner music. I was missing a couple of very important tones, so I borrowed machines from neighbors and have now amassed an almost complete Vacuum Cleaner Symphony, part of which is pictured below. For our first performance, we will naturally start with the Star Spangled Banner, then on to Mahler's Second Symphony, then the Ravel Bolero. Amazing just how good my vacuum symphony sounds and I sincerely hope that many of you will attend our premier performace, and failing that, purchase the SACD. In addition to the vacuums pictured, there are two hand-vacs to add the highest frequencies and three Kirby's which are very believable in their role of sub-woof-vac. for frequencies below 30Hz. There is also an Electro-Lux canister machine which serves as the soloist when Vacuum Concerti are played. BTW . . . There may be franchise opportunities available in certain markets and I would love to have some of my AA buddies as partners in this new and exciting venture. . . . .
i don't see any Miele, quite essential if you're going to move on to Wagner.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 11-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Cool, calm scientist

So, picked up the Eureka that Mike bought for his daughter for her dorm room last night at Target. It cost a whopping $79. I vacuumed the area rugs in my small condo with it, and I had gone over those same rugs the night before with my 17 year old Sharp vacuum cleaner that I had paid $700 for back in 1994. I got a cylinder full of crap, hair, dirt and dust that looked just like the photograph in Mike's picture; it was pretty gross and I was pretty shocked at the amount of crap that came out of those area rugs, because they looked clean.

Anyway, I'm sold. It's really a nice new vacuum. Thanks Mike, for the tip on the Eureka.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Music Lover

Quote:
Anyway, I'm sold. It's really a nice new vacuum. Thanks Mike, for the tip on the Eureka.
Your welcome Stephen. Just goes to show that more expensive is not always better(something I'm still trying to teach myself). It likely won't last 20 years like your last one but for that price you could buy a new one every couple of years if needed.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 11-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
Your welcome Stephen. Just goes to show that more expensive is not always better(something I'm still trying to teach myself). It likely won't last 20 years like your last one but for that price you could buy a new one every couple of years if needed.
Exactly. Thanks, Mike!
Old 11-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
So, picked up the Eureka that Mike bought for his daughter for her dorm room last night at Target. It cost a whopping $79. I vacuumed the area rugs in my small condo with it, and I had gone over those same rugs the night before with my 17 year old Sharp vacuum cleaner that I had paid $700 for back in 1994. I got a cylinder full of crap, hair, dirt and dust that looked just like the photograph in Mike's picture; it was pretty gross and I was pretty shocked at the amount of crap that came out of those area rugs, because they looked clean. Anyway, I'm sold. It's really a nice new vacuum. Thanks Mike, for the tip on the Eureka.
Maybe Eureka is pre-loading these with dirt so the first time use looks IMPRESSIVE! OK, I'm kidding
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:15 PM

Miele upright here. In Porsche Red, too. I think I will get the Eureka recommended by Mike to keep upstairs. Thanks Mike for the pics - they say a lot - more than a thousand words.