AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 02-28-2022, 01:18 PM
Ice Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Just a note that I also have had a Holo May KTE DAC here on-loan from a friend for about 6 months or so.

So, I have my choice of Holo May and the Lampi B3 to listen to.

Which one do I listen to? The Baltic 3.

[emoji119]

MC601x2;MC303x1;MC150x1;C50; KRELL Foundation;OPPO95;SONY XA5400;MAC MINI;B&W802D; HTM2D;DB1X2; TANTRA 6.1 X4. JVC RS 45; SI ZERO EDGE.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:00 PM

Jason, a Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC just came up for sale on USAM.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 03-01-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtan View Post
[emoji119]

Generally, I don’t really care if the DAC is SS or tubes as long as it sounds good. I’m not a fan of using tubes to mask digital glare. Although maybe unfounded , my impression of the Lampi Atlantic TRP seems to fall in this category. I love the idea that “Their goal was to get as close as they could to the Golden Gate sound, but at roughly 1/3 budget.” - the Baltic3 is a sonic bargain! I also like the option to tube roll as I like variety to spice things up (lately I picked a SPU Century and will pick up other SPUs to explore the SPU sound).
Old 03-01-2022, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Just a note that I also have had a Holo May KTE DAC here on-loan from a friend for about 6 months or so.

So, I have my choice of Holo May and the Lampi B3 to listen to.

Which one do I listen to? The Baltic 3.
Yeah, but how many hours do you have on the May at this point?
Sound Lab 745s, AtmaSphere MA1s, 2 Rythmik 12SE subs, 1 dual 10" DIY sub, Parasound JC2 pre, Aurender S10, Holo Audio May DAC, Oppo 105, DIY Lenco L75, Wavestream Kinetics tube phono stage, Shunyata loom
Old 03-02-2022, 12:50 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Yeah, but how many hours do you have on the May at this point?
400 hours or so...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:51 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

You are way too kind! This has been educational for me-

Definitely audition when/what you can.

What I've learned is one man's detailed is another man's bright and fatiguing.

One man's "musical" is another man's way too smooth.

I've heard DACs universally praised in my setup that had me running for the hills (nails on a chalkboard), so you have to trust your ears, and be prepared to be surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capici View Post
@Grasshopper
Thanks for this shootout. Your reviews are easy to understand and your writing is in a professional level.

From this thread, I looked at the few of the DACs that I’m was not aware of especially the Baltic3 and the EMM.

I just turned 62. 6 years ago I started in-depth research for my bucket list first high-end neutral linear analog+digital system. After discovering the high quality sound I should pursue, I then tried to recreate it but on my limited budget - maximum performance at the minimum cost without sacrificing sound quality. I’m especially interested in sonic bargains to stretch my $. Therefore I try to purchase used if possible. I’m currently 80% over the budget I initially quoted to my wife- I sleep with one eye open

Currently, my audio chains are almost complete as I only have speakers (Magico A5) and interconnects to purchase. I’m also planning my end game components when funds allow.

I have the Denafrips Terminator with the DSP card upgrade. I choose this as my starting DAC because it was neutral and had many consistent positive reviews.

From other online reviews the Holo May KTE sits just above the Terminator sonically.

When @PumaCat wrote “The Lampi is another tube roller's paradise and trust me when I say it punches WAY above it's "weight" class”, which I interpreted as a “bargain” which is consistent with my subsequent online research.

Further online reviews of the updated EMM Labs DA2 V2 indicates that this DAC is comparable to the very top DACs including the ~$100k MSB Select. Another “bargain” flag.

So now my DAC upgrade path is:
$6.6k Lampizator Baltic3
$15k APL DSD-SR v2
$30k EMM DA2 v2

APL DACs were designed to sound analog, and the very few reviews/reports were very positive supports their success which smells like another “bargain”. I may reach out to Stereophile and/or TAS to request an APL review

The $150k Wadax Atlantis Reference DAC may be the best DAC today. A review reveals it sits above the MSB Select DAC 2. I’ll need a “winning” lottery ticket for this one
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 03-02-2022, 02:53 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankkor View Post
Part of me would like to get a Lampi and a Moa Moa Tambaqui to a/b them somewhat permanently with my dCS but I’ve got to control myself.

I'm super intrigued to hear the Mola Mola. I just met a guy who sold his MSB Reference and moved to the Mola Mola instead. He said it's the best he has ever heard----

Endorsements like this are super hard to ignore.

I guess it all boils down to synergy and taste!
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 03-02-2022, 02:55 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

I've seen that. I think it is a dealer posing as selling demos (and then following up with "I can get you a great deal on new!"

I'd love to try one, just hate the depreciation curve with new product (especially when trying something out).

If I knew it was a keeper, the price is right. But if I'm trying and turning if I don't like, that can get expensive fast (and has...lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
Jason, a Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC just came up for sale on USAM.

Old 03-02-2022, 03:17 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

*MAJOR UPDATE*

From the crop of DACs I've bought and sampled, the couple that have risen to the ranks have been the AMR, and the Lampi as pretty special.

I added an Aurender N10 to the mix under the "source first" philosophy and suddenly introduced a ton more "detail" to the scene.

With this configuration, for the first time I noted some flaws in the Lampi I had not noticed when running other "softer" sources.

It still sounded good, but some digital haze was their, and a grittier sound could be present. The AMR softened things up...in fact perhaps too much.

I wanted to pull my hair out...

When running the N10 with the AES out, I had full benefit of the clock, which was much more detailed, and also very fatiguing with the B3. I'm confident that I could roll tubes and dial this in (or perhaps add a Lumin streamer instead) and dial back to taste.

With the advice to pursue an EMM Labs DA2 v2 I spoke at length to a dealer who carries it. I'm all for detail, but not at the expense of musicality. I'd love to hear a DA2, but may have to wait to see a used on the market as their resale appears to be pretty terrible (and dealers I've spoken to seem to be pretty motivated to sell new/demo versions for deep discounts).

One dealer is the fellow who actually said, if you are interested in EMM, check out Playback, which to his ears was more musical. He personally owned Playback, even though he carries EMM (and is not a playback dealer).

We'll I am pleased to say I've been listening to a borrowed Dream DAC and HOLY CRAP this this is amazing.

I've never heard anything like it. It absolutely smokes everything I've heard so far by a long shot. Detail is there, but it doesn't call attention to any particular sound. It totally bakes in the whole musical picture in a very realistic way.

voices sound real, instruments sound real. It's insane. Zero fatigue, zero brightness.

Many "detailed" DACs create a ton of separation between instruments, voices, etc, which sounds very "HIFI" for me. If you go to an orchestra performance, or have 3 musicians playing guitar and singing, the sound is baked in together (not artificially separated). Playback is a very full, smooth sound. I am going to bed very late listening these days.

All in an untreated room. The Playback stuff is the most musical I've ever heard. Now my system sounds like a reference system.

This "discovery" is a very welcome and pleasant one. I now know that my preamp, speakers, amp, etc are amazing. Holy cow what a difference the DAC makes (and source).

I'm not sure if the Playback is the end game or not, but I now know that I am much closer.

I'd love to hear MSB Reference, EMM, & Mola Mola too to know what that sound signature is like.

But I'm enjoying the heck out of the Playback sound for now-

I've sold the dCS Debussey, and the MDA-1000. I now only own the B3 and the AMR (which may both have to be sold even though I actually love them).

Fun times!

Thanks for following me on this Journey! More to come----

Old 03-02-2022, 08:55 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
*MAJOR UPDATE*

From the crop of DACs I've bought and sampled, the couple that have risen to the ranks have been the AMR, and the Lampi as pretty special.

I added an Aurender N10 to the mix under the "source first" philosophy and suddenly introduced a ton more "detail" to the scene.

With this configuration, for the first time I noted some flaws in the Lampi I had not noticed when running other "softer" sources.

It still sounded good, but some digital haze was their, and a grittier sound could be present. The AMR softened things up...in fact perhaps too much.

I wanted to pull my hair out...

When running the N10 with the AES out, I had full benefit of the clock, which was much more detailed, and also very fatiguing with the B3. I'm confident that I could roll tubes and dial this in (or perhaps add a Lumin streamer instead) and dial back to taste.

With the advice to pursue an EMM Labs DA2 v2 I spoke at length to a dealer who carries it. I'm all for detail, but not at the expense of musicality. I'd love to hear a DA2, but may have to wait to see a used on the market as their resale appears to be pretty terrible (and dealers I've spoken to seem to be pretty motivated to sell new/demo versions for deep discounts).

One dealer is the fellow who actually said, if you are interested in EMM, check out Playback, which to his ears was more musical. He personally owned Playback, even though he carries EMM (and is not a playback dealer).

We'll I am pleased to say I've been listening to a borrowed Dream DAC and HOLY CRAP this this is amazing.

I've never heard anything like it. It absolutely smokes everything I've heard so far by a long shot. Detail is there, but it doesn't call attention to any particular sound. It totally bakes in the whole musical picture in a very realistic way.

voices sound real, instruments sound real. It's insane. Zero fatigue, zero brightness.

Many "detailed" DACs create a ton of separation between instruments, voices, etc, which sounds very "HIFI" for me. If you go to an orchestra performance, or have 3 musicians playing guitar and singing, the sound is baked in together (not artificially separated). Playback is a very full, smooth sound. I am going to bed very late listening these days.

All in an untreated room. The Playback stuff is the most musical I've ever heard. Now my system sounds like a reference system.

This "discovery" is a very welcome and pleasant one. I now know that my preamp, speakers, amp, etc are amazing. Holy cow what a difference the DAC makes (and source).

I'm not sure if the Playback is the end game or not, but I now know that I am much closer.

I'd love to hear MSB Reference, EMM, & Mola Mola too to know what that sound signature is like.

But I'm enjoying the heck out of the Playback sound for now-

I've sold the dCS Debussey, and the MDA-1000. I now only own the B3 and the AMR (which may both have to be sold even though I actually love them).

Fun times!

Thanks for following me on this Journey! More to come----
Glad to hear you're getting closer to your goal. I've always like the DACs at Andreas Koch of Playback Designs has developed over the years. He's one of the guys in digital who really knows what he's doing, IMHO.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.