AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 07-24-2016, 09:59 AM

I think it really depends on the room, and how far the speakers are from both the back and side walls. And especially how far the speakers are apart. Once you are happy with the toe in you may want to play with the rake. That can make a big difference also. I used a mono vocalist track to get mine setup just right. But the Elipsa SE are really forgiving speakers when it comes to setup. They will sound great no matter what. Mine continue to amaze me.

Last edited by The Lost Bears; 07-24-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
For those that own or have owned the Elipsa or Elipsa SE, what amount of toe in did you use to get the best sound? I was playing around with mine last night and found that only modest angulation lead to the best soundstage. Made me curious as to what others have found.
Hi 4N6. I've had the Elipsas SE's for a little over a year at this point, and I am still playing with the positioning from time to time, but my own personal experience seems to mirror yours. Toe-in in my case is also very minimal. I imagine that the wide baffle design plays a big part in that respect.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
Hi 4N6. I've had the Elipsas SE's for a little over a year at this point, and I am still playing with the positioning from time to time, but my own personal experience seems to mirror yours. Toe-in in my case is also very minimal. I imagine that the wide baffle design plays a big part in that respect.
As you well know my friend, all of the parameters people are mentioning in this thread are highly interdependent on one another, the room, and the listening position. There is no magic bullet.

Fortunately Elipsa's baffle's wave launch allows for a reasonable tonal balance even when the speaker is mis-positioned.

I'm so glad you were able to acquire SEs ESTEBAN.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:59 AM

I started with a lot of toe-in (crossing slightly in front of my nose) but a recent amp change has me experimenting again and I'm finding a little less toe than that is probably good. That said, I still have them pointing almost directly at me. This is a narrow room, though, and options are compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post
But the Elipsa SE are really forgiving speakers when it comes to setup. They will sound great no matter what. Mine continue to amaze me.
This is absolutely true, and it actually makes it difficult to spend the time really dialling them in!
Old 08-20-2016, 01:39 PM

Sometimes the best tweaks and upgrades are 100% free.

Case in point: I removed the coffee table from my listening room. It was an Ikea model, with a glass top that also served double-duty as a memorabilia display (I had some autographed photos placed under the glass) and storage for remotes, manuals, etc. It also was an ok pseudo-ottoman to rest your legs on when watching a movie... Although not really.

I knew that having a big chunk of wood, synthetic materials and glass in front of you was not ideal, but compromise is the name of the game when you live in a condo and space is limited. I just did not realize how NOT ideal this truly was...

Here are a few photos of my room before, with the table (there are more photos in previous pages of this thread):

...and this is my room today:

Wish I had a better, wider lens to illustrate just how much "open" and "larger" my room feels now, but the point is...

...the sound is now dramatically improved, pretty much in every conceivable parameter. I'll spare you the adjectives and usual audiophile lingo. All I can say is that if you also have a coffee table or similar piece of furniture in front of your listening area, do try and remove it ASAP. I'm certain you will be as thrilled as I now am.

Last edited by esteban; 08-20-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:45 PM

Thats so great to hear, and i really think your listening room looks really good.
May i ask what your ceiling are made of ? as my ceiling is concrete which is definitely not good for Hi-Fi.
I probably are going foe either DIY , with frames and rockwool fitted in....or GIK
Old 08-20-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
Thats so great to hear, and i really think your listening room looks really good. May i ask what your ceiling are made of ? as my ceiling is concrete which is definitely not good for Hi-Fi. I probably are going foe either DIY , with frames and rockwool fitted in....or GIK
Thank you! I sincerely do not know what material the roof is made of. I do know that it has the dreaded "popcorn" finish. The condo was built in the 70's. Frankly, it is a hideous roof. I'm sure it does not help the sound at all, either. I wish I could remove it, but it would mean emptying the entire room and I do not think my heart could survive the mess! 😕
Old 08-20-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I sincerely do not know what material the roof is made of. I do know that it has the dreaded "popcorn" finish. The condo was built in the 70's. Frankly, it is a hideous roof. I'm sure it does not help the sound at all, either. I wish I could remove it, but it would mean emptying the entire room and I do not think my heart could survive the mess! 😕
HeHeHe, i can really understand that mess, then its much more delightful to enjoy the music from that magnificent system

Flemming
Old 08-20-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
...the dreaded "popcorn" finish...I'm sure it does not help the sound at all...
Esteban, actually a popcorn ceiling may be preferable to a flat ceiling. Although its impact may not be significant, depending on how thick it is, the popcorn texture can provide a little diffusion/absorption and help reduce reflections a bit. As for taking it off, depending on when it was installed it may contain asbestos and could be a real nightmare to remove. In the US, prior to the Clean Air Act of 1978, use of asbestos was common in popcorn ceilings. If your condo was built in the early to mid 70s you may want to have the ceiling tested.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-20-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Esteban, actually a popcorn ceiling may be preferable to a flat ceiling. Although its impact may not be significant, depending on how thick it is, the popcorn texture can provide a little diffusion/absorption and help reduce reflections a bit. As for taking it off, depending on when it was installed it may contain asbestos and could be a real nightmare to remove. In the US, prior to the Clean Air Act of 1978, use of asbestos was common in popcorn ceilings. If your condo was built in the early to mid 70s you may want to have the ceiling tested.
The building itself was built in 1968 as a hotel (it is on a busy main avenue by the beach), although units were then converted to condominiums in '71, I believe. I always hated the popcorn ceiling but did not want to go through the hassles of removing it (the entire house has it), and by the time I found out about asbestos it was too late, so to speak. Based on my research, however, reports on the dangers of asbestos have been greatly exaggerated, and it would take decades of exposure to create any substantial harm, from what I have read. We have been here only for 6 years so far, and since I am not a beach person and am getting a little sick of South FL, I certainly do not intend to stay for the rest of my life... after all, the Elipsas deserve a bigger home! ). But then again, I am truly ignorant when it comes to re-modelling, etc. Having said all of that, I work from home and basically spend most of my time off in my room. So I am almost always indoors. Do you think the danger could be genuine and serious?