AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 12-23-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusTubesNow View Post
Is that the pinched waist Tesla? Or a *regular* Czech Tesla...
Either pw or std works nicely. I tried the regular Tesla. FB tried pinch waste. I recall something about either sounding good, better than the GE5670 or the WE396A. FB might chime in.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:50 PM

UPDATE 1 Year Later - DAC

DAC: MHDT Orchid R-2R Ladder DAC running;

Tube: Tesla 6CC42 tube has been great. Nice tone, texture. No need to change.
DigiCoax: Analysis Plus Crystal Solo SPDIF digital OCC copper reveals it all.
RCA out: Analysis Plus Crystal OCC copper cables enhances the DAC sound, more open.
Caps: I did swap out the stock caps in the Orchid to Mundorf Silver-Gold-Oil, slightly better.
Longevity: We will see. So far so good, knock on wood. Hoping to keep it several years.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:49 AM
Retired

How would I control the music I would listen to thru the Orchid DAC? I have all my digital music ripped to FLAC files on USB and HD media. I know I can plug either into the Orchid, but how do I control same?
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-10-2021, 11:54 AM

Default Controlling music through the Orchid

Glenn -
Sorry it has taken so long for you to receive a response to your question. I've been meaning to respond but... distractions & life go on, right?
Anyway, I'm not sure whether this will work for your setup, but I control my streaming via bluetooth, either via my android smartphone or my second laptop. Not exactly the same setup you have, because I'm not controlling music coming off a hard drive, but this should be do-able for you. When I stream I can even control the volume via the Spotify app.
I haven't figured out how to do this for everything. For instance, it doesn't appear that YouTube is set up for this, but I have made zero effort to figure it out.
One other forum you might check for approaches to doing what you are doing is the Pinkfishmedia.net forum. There are numerous threads over there which discuss this type of capability.
Best of luck and I hope this is somewhat helpful. BTW, you didn't ask for this advice I'm about to give you, but I'll give it anyway. I am a huge fan of Spotify, even though it isn't the highest resolution streaming service. Its' curating algorithm provides me with so many unexpected pleasures that it blows my mind. Perhaps the other streaming services are equivalently capable. I don't know. The UI is also completely intuitive. The Orchid renders it wonderfully.
Best regards,
Markus
Analog sources: Garrard 401 in custom Baltic birch plinth, Jelco 850L 12" arm, Dynavector 17D3 into custom LCR phono stage, LP12 w/Ittok temporarily removed from system, Sony 2251/stock arm/Signet 33Ea into Plinius Jarrah phono stage, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, Numark dj turntable for playing 78s
Digital: Old laptop streaming Spotify or Cambridge CXC into MHDT Orchid with Amperex 6DJ8 tube (via socket adapter), Naim CD 3.5 cd player
Preamp: Supratek Cortese with LCR
Power amplifiers: Audio Electronic Supply (AES) SE-1 300B SET, Quad 909
Speakers: Quad ESL 2805, JBL 4430 studio monitors (93 dB efficient, so they work well with the 300B amp)
Power: Goal Zero Yeti 1250 lead-acid battery generator, Core Power power cords into the amps, otherwise all stock power cables (Note: the Yeti has been a significant system upgrade)

What's next: maybe some new production 6SN7 tubes or some quasi-mesh TJ Full Music 300Bs in the SE-1.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:24 PM

Hi Glenn,
I saw this late too, after the new years. Not being familiar with your current environment, essentially possibly some kind of media server to plug into your DAC -or- streamer player with UpNP and client software to connect to it. There is no graphical user interface for the MHDT Orchid DAC itself, it's a native DAC that processes digital input/output signal. It's not a player or streamer. Something else needs to be able to present the music, files, or streaming service provider to you in an organized way (folders or playlists) via your mobile phone or iPad/padlet, small laptop, or computer screen. Have you looked at music streamers or media server players yet by chance?
Old 01-11-2021, 10:50 PM
Retired

Thanks for the replies. I hate software. But, eventually have to get a handle on all this. No hurry.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-17-2021, 09:06 PM

Thumbs up I don't think you need to worry about software

Of course, it depends on what you want to do.

I don't have very much on a hard drive, though I do have some. When I want to play that I use the (probably not state of the art or even very good) Windows Media Player via the laptop I have connected for streaming.

One of my favorite discoveries after installing the Orchid in my system is the pleasure of streaming Spotify. It has allowed me - at 67 years of age - to continue to discover new music and explore the horizons, so to speak. It's easy. The music (since you control what you listen to and that, in turn, informs Spotify what kind of music or vibe you want more of) is great. The interface is a piece of cake and (importantly for me) has ZERO FRUSTRATION. It just works.
Analog sources: Garrard 401 in custom Baltic birch plinth, Jelco 850L 12" arm, Dynavector 17D3 into custom LCR phono stage, LP12 w/Ittok temporarily removed from system, Sony 2251/stock arm/Signet 33Ea into Plinius Jarrah phono stage, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, Numark dj turntable for playing 78s
Digital: Old laptop streaming Spotify or Cambridge CXC into MHDT Orchid with Amperex 6DJ8 tube (via socket adapter), Naim CD 3.5 cd player
Preamp: Supratek Cortese with LCR
Power amplifiers: Audio Electronic Supply (AES) SE-1 300B SET, Quad 909
Speakers: Quad ESL 2805, JBL 4430 studio monitors (93 dB efficient, so they work well with the 300B amp)
Power: Goal Zero Yeti 1250 lead-acid battery generator, Core Power power cords into the amps, otherwise all stock power cables (Note: the Yeti has been a significant system upgrade)

What's next: maybe some new production 6SN7 tubes or some quasi-mesh TJ Full Music 300Bs in the SE-1.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:08 AM

Hello guys, I'm relatively new to the forum and have read with interest on the topic of the MHDT Orchid and the Abbas dac. I'm hoping for some insight and advice in order to make my decision.

I have owned the Orchid for around 2 years now (running stock with a change of tube to a Mullard 7308 with an adaptor) and am looking for a possible upgrade.

I have been researching the following 3 Dacs as a possible replacement to the Orchid.

1. SW1X Dac III Standard
2. Abbas DAC 2.3 SE / 3.1 SE
3. Wells Audio Cipher DAC

I was almost dead-set on 1 of the Abbas options until I read a post where FloridaBoy wrote that the Orchid and Abbas are more similar than dissimilar.

Where I'm from (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia), it's practically imposible to hear these non-mainstream dacs in action.

Would love to get some feedback from members who have been able to compare these dacs. If it's not worth the upgrade then the funds will be spent elsewhere in the chain.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:20 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

wenhaw... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-15-2021, 01:00 AM

Thanks for the welcome Masterlu.

Hopefully some members can chime in on my inquiry.

Still awaiting reply from Abbas audio.