AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 07-22-2019, 01:22 PM

So, here is what Schiit said regarding the amps occasionally shutting down. They looked at Stereophile's measurements of the F228Be's and noted the sever phase angle in the 200-300 Hz range and min. impedance of below 4 ohms. Given that, they suggested that I get an amp (Vidar stereo or Aegir stereo or Ragnarok) that is "know to be stable at 4 ohms"). So I can use one Aegir (which does sound pretty darn good), put up with an amp shutting down now and then (Vidar no an appealing option for me), or start searching for another amp. I can definitely send back the second Aegir (only had it a bit over a week), and they are getting back to me on sending both of them back. Since I had asked about operating my specific speakers with Aegir monoblocks BEFORE I bought the first one - I'm hoping that they will let me send both of them back? We will see. Very disappointing as Aegir monoblocks sound really really really good.
Mike G.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:16 PM

Sorry the bridged mono amps didn't meet your expectations to fully power the Revel F228Be speakers, which is exactly what I predicted given their rated impedance handling. I'm surprised they initially advised you it wouldn't be a problem since it seemed questionable at best from their own specs.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Sorry the bridged mono amps didn't meet your expectations to fully power the Revel F228Be speakers, which is exactly what I predicted given their rated impedance handling. I'm surprised they initially advised you it wouldn't be a problem since it seemed questionable at best from their own specs.
Yes, I was surprised too, but "assumed" that they knew their product way better than I did. They seem to think its more the phase angle in the mid to woof xover more than anything, but ... they are not sure. At least they are allowing me to return both amps for refund - since they agree that they somewhat steered me wrong. One thing I will say is that I love the way Aegir sounds as a monoblock amp. I am really disappointed that I'm having to send them back. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take a decent wallet hit finding an amp (or amps) that I like as well that won't object to the F228Be's load.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:53 PM

If you are considering amps other than class A/B; you could check out the PS Audio Stellar Monoblocks which are class D. They drive our Thiel CS 3.6 speakers which have low impedance, but I don't think they have a difficult phase angle anywhere. We also don't turn up the volume too loud, so maybe we haven't had any problems because we aren't pushing the amps hard.
I have a review/experience post on the Stellars in this forum. In short, they sound great for their price; and I wouldn't know they were class D by hearing them.
In case you didn't know, Ivan is a PS Audio dealer; so you could easily try out the Stellars from him.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8YU View Post
If you are considering amps other than class A/B; you could check out the PS Audio Stellar Monoblocks which are class D. They drive our Thiel CS 3.6 speakers which have low impedance, but I don't think they have a difficult phase angle anywhere. We also don't turn up the volume too loud, so maybe we haven't had any problems because we aren't pushing the amps hard.
I have a review/experience post on the Stellars in this forum. In short, they sound great for their price; and I wouldn't know they were class D by hearing them.
In case you didn't know, Ivan is a PS Audio dealer; so you could easily try out the Stellars from him.
Thanks. PS Audio is in Colorado too! I've not liked the Class D amps I've heard so far, but I'd be willing to give them a whirl. Probably going to try the Ayre V-5 next?
Old 07-31-2019, 01:39 PM

Auditioning an Ayre V-5xe for a few days. Nice amp. Not quite as "liquid" in the mid-range as are the mono Aegir's and highs not quite as "warm", but everything else is substantially better. Stage is more 3D, more low level detail (room reverb, etc) and better overall accuracy of timbre. The frequency extremes are better with the Ayre also. Of course, there is a significant price difference so its really no surprise. One disclaimer I have to put on this is that I'm using spade to banana adaptors at the amp end of the speaker cables, and that may be introducing some hash that I'm hearing in the high end. I plan to re-terminate my CV-6's to eliminate this "situation".
Incidentally, I'm also auditioning a JC2 pre-amp. To say that it is better than the Freya with NOS tubes is an understatement! While I like the Freya, everything through the JC2 is warmer, bigger, fatter, better. The 3D soundstage is a lot bigger (especially deeper) and the clarity (with warmth) is more than I had expected it to be. I thought that the Freya was giving me a great soundstage, but the JC2 tramples the Freya in every performance criteria I can think of to listen for. Of course, the JC2 is 5x the price so it should be better, but I didn't expect it to be that much better! Wow.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:40 PM

Aegir has joined the big league, a Stereophile review and Class A Reccomend Component.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ower-amplifier

Last edited by bachrocks; 09-28-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmig View Post
Auditioning an Ayre V-5xe for a few days. Nice amp. Not quite as "liquid" in the mid-range as are the mono Aegir's and highs not quite as "warm", but everything else is substantially better. Stage is more 3D, more low level detail (room reverb, etc) and better overall accuracy of timbre. The frequency extremes are better with the Ayre also. Of course, there is a significant price difference so its really no surprise. One disclaimer I have to put on this is that I'm using spade to banana adaptors at the amp end of the speaker cables, and that may be introducing some hash that I'm hearing in the high end. I plan to re-terminate my CV-6's to eliminate this "situation".
Incidentally, I'm also auditioning a JC2 pre-amp. To say that it is better than the Freya with NOS tubes is an understatement! While I like the Freya, everything through the JC2 is warmer, bigger, fatter, better. The 3D soundstage is a lot bigger (especially deeper) and the clarity (with warmth) is more than I had expected it to be. I thought that the Freya was giving me a great soundstage, but the JC2 tramples the Freya in every performance criteria I can think of to listen for. Of course, the JC2 is 5x the price so it should be better, but I didn't expect it to be that much better! Wow.
Just realized that I never updated this thread! Anyway, getting rid of the Spade/Banana adapters made a huge difference. The Ayre V-5xe sounded incredible without them. I never thought a speaker cable adaptor could mess things up that badly, but the high frequency "hash" disappeared and the mid's smoothed out. The Ayre is a great amp revealing layer upon layer of information and sounding as "natural" as any amp I've heard in my system. At the end of the day, I didn't want to spend "that much" money on an amp - although it was worth every penny.

That having been said and even though the Aegir mono's didn't "work out" (shut down on bass peaks), the midrange liquidity on the Aegir was in the same echelon with the V-5xe, although it didn't quite peel back as many layers. As a mono-block, I was quite impressed by Aegir and liked it a touch better than the amp I ultimately chose to go with in my room/system - the Parasound A-23+. As a stereo amp I felt the Aegir was very good but maybe a bit thin sounding compared to other amps like the A23+.

The A23+ "rounds off" things a bit, but it sounds warm and musical which is a good fit the the F228Be's in my very small listening room. I never heard the older A23, but I understand there is a difference in Bass drive and overall character with the + version being better balanced? Overall the A23+ is a great performer at under $1500!!!
Old 04-19-2020, 04:19 PM

Anybody have an update or a review of their experience with the Aegir? I am contemplating a second system upstairs and am thinking of old school Wharfedale Lintons with the Aegir. Does anyone think this will be too warm of a unit to run in a master bedroom?

Last edited by McMusicman; 04-24-2020 at 05:19 PM.