AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Stillpoints

Stillpoints Lower Your Noise Floor

Old 02-05-2022, 07:15 PM
Remembering Dan

Default Stillpoints....Audio crack?

My Journey

It's safe to say I've become a big believer in Isolation tweaks, and most notably of Stillpoint products, in a relatively short period of time. I made my first Stillpoints purchase in late 2019, that purchase being two sets of Ultra-minis that I installed under my McIntosh MCD1000 CD transport, and under my McIntosh MDA1000 DAC. I was very impressed with the improvements they made with my CD's (or with any source connected to my MDA1000).

Since then, I've wanted to deploy more of the devices in my main system. When I purchased my VPI Prime signature turntable, I purchased an LP1 VII record weight with it. To be honest, I can't draw any comparisons between it and the very attractive VPI-provided weight, because I've always just used the Stillpoints weight since I bought the table.

The next step I wanted to take in my Stillpoints journey was to deploy Ultra SS's under my McIntosh MC501 amplifiers (of which I have three). The problem with this was, I did not have enough vertical clearance to install them under the amps and still keep my amp platforms in place. For this reason as well as others, I was eventually motivated to build a new electronics platform (which my left and right amps reside under) with additional clearance that would allow room for the Ultra SS's under the amps as well as some less expensive but attractive isolators under the platforms. Those of you following my projects will recall this effort, completed around last Thanksgiving. It was a significant effort, but well worth the trouble to "raise the bridge" to accommodate the devices. A much smoother, more nuanced presentation was immediately apparent from the installation. I was thoroughly impressed. For those unfamiliar with that project, here's a link.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50593

Naturally, I was really at this point compelled to somehow deploy another set of Ultra SS's under Amp #3, which powers my JBL B460 subwoofer. The amps are connected in the system via a Sumo Delilah Active crossover, which is set for a 63hz low pass and sends a summed signal at and below this frequency to my third MC501 amp and then on to the JBL sub. In this case however, I have a permanently attached shelf just above this amp, constraining my ability to install the stillpoints, let alone any other isolators under the amp platform. So, some compromise would have to be made in order to do it. An imminent price increase across the Stillpoint product line compelled me to grab a set, and then deal with the installation issue.

If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river.

My only obvious solution was to shorten the 1" tall plastic feet on Amp platform #3 by 1/2" in order to accomodate the Ultra SS's. So I purchased some basic 1/2" high rubber feet from Amazon, and awaited my inbound Stillpoint Ultra SS's. I installed the devices on MC501 #3 one week ago today.

What I expected

I figured that since I had the Ultra SS's under my left and right amps, most of the battle had already been fought. The results were very, very nice. I hoped for more more big improvements with the next step, but realistically, I figured my B460's bass might be cleaned up a bit. I really wasn't expecting much more than that.

What I wasn't expecting

What I wasn't expecting was....wow! Yes, my low end has been cleaned up, but more than a little. Much more character, tonality and finesse. But beyond that the system's ENTIRE presentation seems to have been (even more) improved. I'm not sure why the last 1/3 of the equation made such a difference, but it did! I'm speculating that this is because A) there is more information to be revealed in the 63hz and below region that I had realized and/or B) that in the active crossover arrangement that I have, that to have removed any "muddiness" that may have been present in this region pre-installation is/was really important. Whatever the reason, the difference is profound.

Here's a look at the amp with the Stillpoints installed. In the first photo, you can get a glimpse of the Ultra-minis under my MCD1000 transport.

Here's a couple of bonus shots of my main (left and right) MC501's in full dress:

And a couple more showing the Ultra-minis. I've also dressed up my MDA1000 display a bit more since my last system post.

And let's not forget the Stillpoints LP1 VII record weight.

The cumulative effect

Each time one of these devices is added, the effect is multiplied, seemingly exponentially. The cumulative effect on a system can be profound. A few years ago I would not have believed it. I remember our late friend Dan lamenting how when he took the Ultra SS's out of the box, he hoped that he would send them back due to the cost of these "feet" that couldn't possibly make a difference, right? You know the rest.

The same can be said for isolation in general, as well as power conditioning, and other so-called "tweaks" that seemingly cost a lot of money. Since I started down the road with Stillpoints, Furutech filters, ADD-POWR Wizard, not to even mention cables, my system has been transformed in ways I never would have expected. The system very often presents things in a way you just simply are not expecting. I've come to the belief that you really can't have too much isolation.

The revelations continue...

One thing that I find especially fun are the surprises I get pulling out CD's or LP's I have not listened to in a long while, or even a short while. I may pull out one of my 1200 or so CD's that I have not listened to in a short while, say after upgrade "D". What a pleasant surprise! Even more fun, let's pull one out that I have not listened to since before upgrade A, B, C, or D. Holy cow! You get the idea...this is great fun. And that fun cycle repeats over and over as we continue the journey.

The Stillpoints addiction

I've heard it said quite a few times, by numerous members here, that Stillpoints are addictive....which brings me to the title of this thread "Stillpoints-Audio Crack?". Ivan once referred to the devices as "Audio Crack". That's a pretty fair assessment, IMO. Once you get a taste, you just want more.

Thanks for joining me along my journey....

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 02-06-2022 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:48 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Pete… very nice write up!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6BCFC33E-666A-4089-A203-F9B76934C668.jpeg (64.3 KB, 258 views)
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 02-05-2022, 07:50 PM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Pete… very nice write up!

Ivan....thanks!

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

Old 02-06-2022, 12:42 AM

Pete, you simply have one of the most beautiful Mac systems I have seen. I paid 3K each for my three new AS125 Mac amp stands. I think yours just as beautiful. I care zero about vinyl. If I were going that route it would be with a high quality reel to reel deck, but that turntable and arm is something else to behold. It's beautiful, a work of art. I know it sounds great but I have no patience for vinyl. The way Mac's are designed with their simple feet allow for these types of upgrades like the Stillpoints, which I have no doubt significantly/tremendously improved your sound. Stillpoints work really well with McIntosh, I think.

Wilson is soon coming out, next 3-6 months, with Heavy Duty Pedestals desighned for amps. I'll be placing 4 under each of my 3500MKII's soon after. I agree with you that isolation devices, well designed like Stillpoints are, greatly improve the sonics of any system. If there is such a thing as audio crack isolation devices like Stillpoints work and the only damage they do is not to the body but to the wallet, soon forgotten when you discover the beautiful sound flowing from your speakers.

Well done!

Best

Charles

__________________________________________________ _
Charles Updated System: Wilson McIntosh Audioquest
New gear on order: McIntosh MC3500 MK II mono power amp, one per channel; custom granite slabs to set my MC3500 MKII’s; 3 AS125 custom made McIntosh amps stands
Most recent updates: Latest is the last one posted: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport. Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode for XVX Chronosonic. WEL Signature digital Coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection replacing the optical connection. New plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes. Thor is now off my floor.
Amps: McIntosh 1.25KW’s (3) set on floor on custom made granite slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCT500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; custom made Wilson Acoustic Diodes
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC); custom plinth of X material with Wilson Acoustic Diode feet
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); WEL Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals for D1100; MVP881 BR player; MCT500 transport; MR87 tuner; plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.

Last edited by Charles; 02-06-2022 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:46 AM
Remembering Dan

Charles.....thank you so much for the kind words my friend. Coming from you, what with the system you have assembled and continue to assemble, I consider that quite a compliment.

I do like my amp stands...I've actually had them made for other components as well. I've added them gradually over the years, so I can't give an accurate cost, but I can say the cost was very reasonable. I'd say that, the most I may have in any one of those stands, including logo and isolation footers, is less than $200.The new Mac stands certainly do look nice, but I just can't justify that kind of cost. But, as you point out and as others have pointed out, these are designed for the topline products and those with the budget necessary for a full blown system of that stature can probably afford them without difficulty. Another good point is when we consider how much we spend on cables (I'm guilty!), the stands shouldn't be any different.

Yes, vinyl does come with some inconvenience, but it is a LOT of fun and the listening rewards make it worth it IMO. And yes, I do love my new VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood. It is indeed a work of art, my last Turntable purchase I'm sure. Thank you Ivan and VPI!

I love analog as much as I love digital (or my name isn't Vintage Pete ) You've probably seen this already but I do have a Crown SX724 Reel to reel deck. I don't play it a lot, but when I do it's a treat. I'm considering a cabinetry upgrade for it. Here's a recent shot, which shows the isolators I added to the platform under my MS750 Music Server.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around just how the Stillpoints can be so effective, even at low volume levels. I don't fully understand how this can be, but I do know they work, and I love the results. It's pretty amazing indeed.

No. 35

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 02-06-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:55 AM

Pete, I just found your JBL220A horn conversion project on AA. This was back when my wife Debbie was so sick and I missed it. I'll have more to say soon but I want to say that I am mightily impressed with your system, not just the Stillpoints. I think your amp stands just as beautiful and effective as the ones I am purchasing. Mine are illuminated and can be turned off and on with the amp but your logo is absolutely gorgeous, so it's a toss up. Makes me totally jealous and feeling light in the wallet, not really, just kidding, I'm so happy for you. I think Mark W. with his Legacy Valor system has the most unique comprehensive system for controlling room acoustics on AA, perhaps just maybe anywhere. Similarly, I doubt anyone has a more cost effective, better thought out, comprehensive stereo system than you. The vinyl, analog tape, and digital capabilities of it are amazing. The speaker improvement project is amazing. I believe you about the Stillpoints.

Let's say your stand cost 300 dollars vs 3,000 for me. I think there would be many who would choose your stands.

I can relate to your concern over the horns. My concern with my XVX was much worse because you had a way of reversing. I didn't. I can't request building a 329K speaker(s) and then back out. The project could have been a total disaster. I will not forget Ivan's comment concerning the dangers of an audiophile with a tape measure. I was down to 1-2 inches. But now I have a wonderful XVX on custom Acoustic Diodes and the sound is amazing. It went through a rite of passage and made it to the other side. You put it on the line with your 220A's and it worked!

Let's say 3,000 dollars for your speakers and 300,000 for mine. I's say that's a pretty cost effective comparison, very similar to the amp stands I'd say.

Congratulations!

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 02-06-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:09 PM
Remembering Dan

Charles....wow, you're really making me feel pretty good here. I'm super pleased these days, it's been quite a bit of work but it's paid off well I think. Yes the horn project came with some risk, but I knew there was a huge potential reward. I never looked back once it was done. I would not trade these systems for a pair of L300's.

As we well know, there is no finish line with this hobby really, there is always something more to do, there is always that next little tweak. Since you mention the analog tape, one thing I need to do that I've been wanting to do for a long time is to get my Nakamichi Dragon back it service. It hasn't worked for years, and needs an overhaul. I've never been able to part with it, it just sits in my setup looking cool. It's the only thing that doesn't work. I almost pulled the trigger last year, but the guy I hoped to have do it won't touch units before a certain serial number, and mine is an earlier one. It won't even power up now so I can't even look at the lights. Once the last attempt fizzled out, other priorities took over, as often happens. Maybe this year I'll get it done. That's a classic piece for sure.

Thanks again for all your kind words!

No. 35

Old 02-06-2022, 01:54 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I find the best use of Stillpoints to be component or application-specific but they are not the best footer for all components or devices in all applications. In my experience with them, they work best under components that are fairly "lightly-damped" with fairly thin steel chassis. They are effective for providing mechanical grounding onto dense wood platforms e.g. rock maple or bamboo. My old C-J CT-5 preamp would be a good example of a component of this type. I'm presently using them to best effect under my SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo network bridge. For my now-sold Schiit Gungnir DAC, the A/V Roomservice EVPs were a much better footer, or most effectively, under my REL sub, where the EVPs work very well indeed, particularly in isolating and quieting down the room itself from the energy imparted into the floor by the sub.

Another footer that should not be dismissed are the Herbie's Audio Labs Tenderfoot. These are inexpensive but very effective under a range of components, and are particularly useful under smaller, lighter components e.g. UpTone EtherREGEN, the UpTone LPS-1.2 LPS, and the Keces P3 LPS.

Under the Constellation Inspiration integrated amp, the Stillponts make it sound "thinner and harder"; here the HRS Nimbus couplers and spacers work the best by far. Under the Shunyata Everest power distributor, the Shunyata SSF-50 footers work the best.

So...in my experience, the best and most effective footers are very much appliciation/device-specific. There's no single solution that works best for everything.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-06-2022 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:07 PM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
and under the Shunyata Everest power distributor, the Shunyata SSF-50 footers work the best.
Stephen....I've read of some cases here and there where a user wasn't happy with his results with Stillpoints. Not many, however, and I've heard pretty much nothing but positive reports on their effectiveness with McIntosh. I consider their chassis construction to be robust, but of course everything is relative.

You bring up a topic that has crossed my mind-and that is the use of isolators, whether they be Stillpoints or another brand on power devices-distributors, regenerators, etc. In my case, I wonder if there would be a sonic benefit utilizing isolators beneath my PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant P12 Regenerator?

No. 35

Old 02-06-2022, 02:19 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Pete View Post
I wonder if there would be a sonic benefit utilizing isolators beneath my PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant P12 Regenerator?
Pete… need you ask?
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES