AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Streaming & Television Shows

Streaming & Television Shows Netflix, Amazon, Cable & Network Series

Old 06-03-2020, 10:55 AM
Racing Hoopties

Default Shows I have watched during quarantine

Thank goodness for Internet streaming and being able to play golf the last 3 months or I would have been more of a lunatic than I am.

I have started and finished the following notable series:

Each synopsis from Wikipedia

1) Giri/Haji (Japanese: 義理/恥, Japanese for "Duty/Shame")

Since I enjoyed the hundreds of days I spent in Japan this brought back many memories and added to the intrigue.

— Kenzo Mori (Takehiro Hira), a Tokyo detective, travels to London in search of his brother, Yuto (Yōsuke Kubozuka), who was previously assumed to be dead. Yuto has been accused of murdering the nephew of a Yakuza member which threatens to start a gang war in Tokyo. As Kenzo attempts to navigate the unfamiliar territory of London to uncover whether his brother is alive and guilty, he becomes acquainted with DC Sarah Weitzmann (Kelly Macdonald) of the Metropolitan Police and Rodney Yamaguchi (Will Sharpe), a young half-Japanese, half-British sex worker. While searching for Yuto in London, Kenzo must also support his family back home in Tokyo. Kenzo's investigation brings him into contact with dangerous elements of London's corrupt criminal underworld.[2]

2) “Upload” is an American science fiction comedy web television series created by Greg Daniels.

I binged this the past few days. It is strangely interesting in concept and it kept my interest even though it has a bit of ‘Hallmark Movie” foreshadowing in it. (Eg a predictable love interest). I look forward to season 2.

“In 2033, humans are able to "upload" themselves into a virtual afterlife of their choosing. When computer programmer Nathan dies prematurely, he is uploaded to the very expensive Lake View, but soon finds himself under the thumb of his possessive, still-living girlfriend Ingrid. As Nathan adjusts to the pros and cons of digital heaven, he bonds with Nora, his living customer service rep, or "Angel". Nora struggles with the pressures of her job, her dying father who does not want to be uploaded, and her growing feelings for Nathan while slowly coming to believe that Nathan was murdered.”

3) “The Last Kingdom” is a British historical fiction television series based on Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Stories series of novels.

This series has been around for almost 5 years and took a while to finish as there are 4 seasons of 10 episodes. If you watched and enjoyed The Vikings, you will enjoy this. It captivated me by the story, the excellent quality of production and the brutality that was very common in the 9th century. Not for the kiddies nor the faint of heart.

“The story setting begins in 866 with the Viking conquest of York, when England is divided into Heptarchy (seven kingdoms). The Anglo-Saxon lands are gradually attacked, plundered and ruled by Viking Danes in many areas. The Kingdom of Wessex remains the last stronghold against the Danes. The story covers about 40–45 years by the end of season 4. Season 1 covers the years 866–878, season 2 from 878–886, season 3 from 893–900, and season 4 takes place about 905–910.

The fictional protagonist is Uhtred of Bebbanburg. An earl of that name existed and ruled Bebbanburg (Bamburgh Castle) and Northumbria during the reign of Æthelred II and about a century after the story told in The Last Kingdom. When Æthelred had the ealdorman of Southern Northumbria, Ælfhelm of York, murdered in 1006, Uhtred the Bold was made Earl of a united Northumbria (and likely Ealdorman of York), his seat at Bebbanburg. He spent much of his time defending the northern border from the Scots. He fought loyally beside the Anglo-Saxons against the Danes and with Edmund Ironside. In 1016 after Cnut came to power, Cnut had Earl Uhtred killed along with 40 other Saxon nobles, probably on Christmas Day.[2] In Bernard Cornwell's series he adds a 'historical note' at the end, in which, especially in the first book, he mentions that Uhtred the Bold was his ancestor. He took the liberty of installing Uhtred earlier in history.[3]

The tale has its main character re-baptised as Uhtred after his elder brother is killed by the Danes; his father along with other Saxon noblemen of Northumbria are killed in battle with them, only his uncle and step-mother survive. Uhtred and a Saxon girl named Brida are taken as slaves by Earl Ragnar, now settled in Danish Northumbria, which becomes their adopted home. Time passes and Ragnar's daughter Thyra is about to be married but fellow Danes attack the night before the wedding and set the hall ablaze in which the family is sleeping. Ragnar is burned alive and Thyra is taken as a slave. Only Uhtred and Brida escape, as they had been away in the woods all night while making charcoal. The attackers are led by Kjartan, a disgruntled Viking who had been banished by Ragnar from his lands years earlier for an offense committed by Kjartan's son Sven. Uhtred vows to avenge his adoptive father's death, while simultaneously hoping to reclaim Bebbanburg from his uncle—who seeks to kill Uhtred to hold onto the land of Bebbanburg. Uhtred is forced to choose between a kingdom that shares his ancestry and the people of his upbringing and his loyalties are constantly tested.[4]

The first series' roughly covers the plots of the novels The Last Kingdom and The Pale Horseman, although they are condensed for the screen.[5] The second series covers the plots of Cornwell's novels The Lords of the North and Sword Song.[6] Series 3 is based on The Burning Land and Death of Kings but with considerable plot changes. This series' ten episodes were produced solely by Netflix. One reviewer indicated that this had a positive effect, "With it came a certain increase in production values, most notably during the epic end-of-episode clash in which the swing of every sword and thwock of every shield hit firmly home" but added that "the blood-and-gore budget has also undergone a significant increase, thanks in large part to the arrival of the beautiful but psychotic Skade (Thea Sofie Loch Næss)".[7] Much of the series was written by Stephen Butchard and the filming was completed in Hungary. These episodes cover the decline in King Alfred's health, according to one report "while he tries to ensure that his fiercely-held vision of a Christian, Saxon Wessex as part of a stable English nation will survive him as his legacy .... the Uhtred-Alfred relationship is at the core of the story".[8] All ten episodes of series 4 appeared on Netflix on 26 April 2020.[9] As in series 3, there are significant plot differences to the books.[10]”

4) “The Witcher” is a Polish-American fantasy drama series produced by Lauren Schmidt Hissrich. It is based on the book series of the same name by Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski.

For me, this was pure escapism. Didn’t have to think about anything while watching nor did it tax me much to figure out what might happen. I just sat like a lump enjoying it.

“Set on a fictional, medieval-inspired landmass known as "the Continent", The Witcher explores the legend of Geralt of Rivia and princess Ciri, who are linked by destiny to each other.[8] It stars Henry Cavill, Freya Allan and Anya Chalotra. The show initially follows the three main protagonists at different points of time, exploring formative events that shaped their characters, before eventually merging into a single timeline.

The first season consisted of eight episodes and was released on Netflix in its entirety on December 20, 2019. It is based on The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, which are collections of short stories that precede the main Witcher saga. Before the first season had been released, Netflix announced a second eight-episode season, to be released in 2021; production was scheduled to commence in London in early 2020.[9]”

5) “Ozark” is an American crime drama web television series created by Bill Dubuque and Mark Williams for Netflix and produced by Media Rights Capital.[1][2][3] The series stars Jason Bateman and Laura Linney as a married couple who relocate their family to the Ozarks following a money laundering scheme gone wrong.

Many of you probably watched this. Great story with some even greater characters. My favorite was Ruth Langmore played by Julia Garner a smarter than she should be hillbilly with street (mountain?) smarts and a sometimes volatile personality that fits with her often perfectly timed foul language. Some find Jason Bateman ill suited to his role as Marty but I think he fits fine. Laura Linney is fantastic. Highly Recommended!

“Financial advisor Martin "Marty" Byrde suddenly relocates his family from the Chicago suburb of Naperville to the remote summer resort community of Osage Beach, Missouri.[12] After a money laundering scheme for a Mexican drug cartel goes wrong, Marty proposes to make amends by offering to set up a bigger laundering operation in the Lake of the Ozarks region of central Missouri. When the Byrdes arrive in Missouri, they become entangled with local criminals, including the Langmore and Snell families, and later the Kansas City Mafia.[8]”

6) “Dead to Me” is an American dark comedy web television series created by Liz Feldman which premiered on May 3, 2019, on Netflix. It stars Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini as two grieving women who bond during therapy, and it is executive produced by Feldman, Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, and Jessica Elbaum.

This I watched with my wife. We both enjoyed it. Enough twists to keep me attentive. Great acting by Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini as the two main protagonists. Good couple series. (The others not so much)

“Dead to Me is about a friendship that blossoms between Jen (Applegate) and Judy (Cardellini).[7] Jen is a recently widowed real estate agent based in Laguna Beach, California, trying to come to terms with her loss through therapy, exercise, and other methods. She uses anger and resentment as an outlet for her grief.[8]

She meets Judy in a therapy group for bereft spouses. Jen mourns her husband, who was killed by a hit-and-run driver, while Judy grieves for her fiancé, who died of a heart attack.[9]

The two characters face their loss differently as Jen finds herself in a dark place, struggling with her grief, and Judy maintains a positive disposition.[8] This difference quickly leads to a deep bond between the two. However, Judy keeps a dark secret that the hit-and-run driver is her and she didn't lose her fiancé to a heart attack but a breakup, and her disturbing behaviors are part of the plot twists. Jen becomes more unhinged as she unravels the mystery of her husband's death and secret lives around her.[1]”
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 06-03-2020, 10:58 AM
Go Dawgs

My major TV accomplishment was getting through all 8 seasons of Game of Thrones with my wife. It was a real grind. I liked it and thought it was really good but not as good as all the GOT fans loved it. It's pretty brutal, I'm surprised my wife made it all the way through.

We just started the new season of Ozark.....what a great show....one of the best I've seen in a long time.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3

Last edited by audioguy3107; 06-03-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Thank goodness for Internet streaming and being able to play golf the last 3 months or I would have been more of a lunatic than I am.

I have started and finished the following notable series:

Each synopsis from Wikipedia

1) Giri/Haji (Japanese: 義理/恥, Japanese for "Duty/Shame")

Since I enjoyed the hundreds of days I spent in Japan this brought back many memories and added to the intrigue.

— Kenzo Mori (Takehiro Hira), a Tokyo detective, travels to London in search of his brother, Yuto (Yōsuke Kubozuka), who was previously assumed to be dead. Yuto has been accused of murdering the nephew of a Yakuza member which threatens to start a gang war in Tokyo. As Kenzo attempts to navigate the unfamiliar territory of London to uncover whether his brother is alive and guilty, he becomes acquainted with DC Sarah Weitzmann (Kelly Macdonald) of the Metropolitan Police and Rodney Yamaguchi (Will Sharpe), a young half-Japanese, half-British sex worker. While searching for Yuto in London, Kenzo must also support his family back home in Tokyo. Kenzo's investigation brings him into contact with dangerous elements of London's corrupt criminal underworld.[2]

2) “Upload” is an American science fiction comedy web television series created by Greg Daniels.

I binged this the past few days. It is strangely interesting in concept and it kept my interest even though it has a bit of ‘Hallmark Movie” foreshadowing in it. (Eg a predictable love interest). I look forward to season 2.

“In 2033, humans are able to "upload" themselves into a virtual afterlife of their choosing. When computer programmer Nathan dies prematurely, he is uploaded to the very expensive Lake View, but soon finds himself under the thumb of his possessive, still-living girlfriend Ingrid. As Nathan adjusts to the pros and cons of digital heaven, he bonds with Nora, his living customer service rep, or "Angel". Nora struggles with the pressures of her job, her dying father who does not want to be uploaded, and her growing feelings for Nathan while slowly coming to believe that Nathan was murdered.”

3) “The Last Kingdom” is a British historical fiction television series based on Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Stories series of novels.

This series has been around for almost 5 years and took a while to finish as there are 4 seasons of 10 episodes. If you watched and enjoyed The Vikings, you will enjoy this. It captivated me by the story, the excellent quality of production and the brutality that was very common in the 9th century. Not for the kiddies nor the faint of heart.

“The story setting begins in 866 with the Viking conquest of York, when England is divided into Heptarchy (seven kingdoms). The Anglo-Saxon lands are gradually attacked, plundered and ruled by Viking Danes in many areas. The Kingdom of Wessex remains the last stronghold against the Danes. The story covers about 40–45 years by the end of season 4. Season 1 covers the years 866–878, season 2 from 878–886, season 3 from 893–900, and season 4 takes place about 905–910.

The fictional protagonist is Uhtred of Bebbanburg. An earl of that name existed and ruled Bebbanburg (Bamburgh Castle) and Northumbria during the reign of Æthelred II and about a century after the story told in The Last Kingdom. When Æthelred had the ealdorman of Southern Northumbria, Ælfhelm of York, murdered in 1006, Uhtred the Bold was made Earl of a united Northumbria (and likely Ealdorman of York), his seat at Bebbanburg. He spent much of his time defending the northern border from the Scots. He fought loyally beside the Anglo-Saxons against the Danes and with Edmund Ironside. In 1016 after Cnut came to power, Cnut had Earl Uhtred killed along with 40 other Saxon nobles, probably on Christmas Day.[2] In Bernard Cornwell's series he adds a 'historical note' at the end, in which, especially in the first book, he mentions that Uhtred the Bold was his ancestor. He took the liberty of installing Uhtred earlier in history.[3]

The tale has its main character re-baptised as Uhtred after his elder brother is killed by the Danes; his father along with other Saxon noblemen of Northumbria are killed in battle with them, only his uncle and step-mother survive. Uhtred and a Saxon girl named Brida are taken as slaves by Earl Ragnar, now settled in Danish Northumbria, which becomes their adopted home. Time passes and Ragnar's daughter Thyra is about to be married but fellow Danes attack the night before the wedding and set the hall ablaze in which the family is sleeping. Ragnar is burned alive and Thyra is taken as a slave. Only Uhtred and Brida escape, as they had been away in the woods all night while making charcoal. The attackers are led by Kjartan, a disgruntled Viking who had been banished by Ragnar from his lands years earlier for an offense committed by Kjartan's son Sven. Uhtred vows to avenge his adoptive father's death, while simultaneously hoping to reclaim Bebbanburg from his uncle—who seeks to kill Uhtred to hold onto the land of Bebbanburg. Uhtred is forced to choose between a kingdom that shares his ancestry and the people of his upbringing and his loyalties are constantly tested.[4]

The first series' roughly covers the plots of the novels The Last Kingdom and The Pale Horseman, although they are condensed for the screen.[5] The second series covers the plots of Cornwell's novels The Lords of the North and Sword Song.[6] Series 3 is based on The Burning Land and Death of Kings but with considerable plot changes. This series' ten episodes were produced solely by Netflix. One reviewer indicated that this had a positive effect, "With it came a certain increase in production values, most notably during the epic end-of-episode clash in which the swing of every sword and thwock of every shield hit firmly home" but added that "the blood-and-gore budget has also undergone a significant increase, thanks in large part to the arrival of the beautiful but psychotic Skade (Thea Sofie Loch Næss)".[7] Much of the series was written by Stephen Butchard and the filming was completed in Hungary. These episodes cover the decline in King Alfred's health, according to one report "while he tries to ensure that his fiercely-held vision of a Christian, Saxon Wessex as part of a stable English nation will survive him as his legacy .... the Uhtred-Alfred relationship is at the core of the story".[8] All ten episodes of series 4 appeared on Netflix on 26 April 2020.[9] As in series 3, there are significant plot differences to the books.[10]”

4) “The Witcher” is a Polish-American fantasy drama series produced by Lauren Schmidt Hissrich. It is based on the book series of the same name by Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski.

For me, this was pure escapism. Didn’t have to think about anything while watching nor did it tax me much to figure out what might happen. I just sat like a lump enjoying it.

“Set on a fictional, medieval-inspired landmass known as "the Continent", The Witcher explores the legend of Geralt of Rivia and princess Ciri, who are linked by destiny to each other.[8] It stars Henry Cavill, Freya Allan and Anya Chalotra. The show initially follows the three main protagonists at different points of time, exploring formative events that shaped their characters, before eventually merging into a single timeline.

The first season consisted of eight episodes and was released on Netflix in its entirety on December 20, 2019. It is based on The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, which are collections of short stories that precede the main Witcher saga. Before the first season had been released, Netflix announced a second eight-episode season, to be released in 2021; production was scheduled to commence in London in early 2020.[9]”

5) “Ozark” is an American crime drama web television series created by Bill Dubuque and Mark Williams for Netflix and produced by Media Rights Capital.[1][2][3] The series stars Jason Bateman and Laura Linney as a married couple who relocate their family to the Ozarks following a money laundering scheme gone wrong.

Many of you probably watched this. Great story with some even greater characters. My favorite was Ruth Langmore played by Julia Garner a smarter than she should be hillbilly with street (mountain?) smarts and a sometimes volatile personality that fits with her often perfectly timed foul language. Some find Jason Bateman ill suited to his role as Marty but I think he fits fine. Laura Linney is fantastic. Highly Recommended!

“Financial advisor Martin "Marty" Byrde suddenly relocates his family from the Chicago suburb of Naperville to the remote summer resort community of Osage Beach, Missouri.[12] After a money laundering scheme for a Mexican drug cartel goes wrong, Marty proposes to make amends by offering to set up a bigger laundering operation in the Lake of the Ozarks region of central Missouri. When the Byrdes arrive in Missouri, they become entangled with local criminals, including the Langmore and Snell families, and later the Kansas City Mafia.[8]”

6) “Dead to Me” is an American dark comedy web television series created by Liz Feldman which premiered on May 3, 2019, on Netflix. It stars Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini as two grieving women who bond during therapy, and it is executive produced by Feldman, Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, and Jessica Elbaum.

This I watched with my wife. We both enjoyed it. Enough twists to keep me attentive. Great acting by Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini as the two main protagonists. Good couple series. (The others not so much)

“Dead to Me is about a friendship that blossoms between Jen (Applegate) and Judy (Cardellini).[7] Jen is a recently widowed real estate agent based in Laguna Beach, California, trying to come to terms with her loss through therapy, exercise, and other methods. She uses anger and resentment as an outlet for her grief.[8]

She meets Judy in a therapy group for bereft spouses. Jen mourns her husband, who was killed by a hit-and-run driver, while Judy grieves for her fiancé, who died of a heart attack.[9]

The two characters face their loss differently as Jen finds herself in a dark place, struggling with her grief, and Judy maintains a positive disposition.[8] This difference quickly leads to a deep bond between the two. However, Judy keeps a dark secret that the hit-and-run driver is her and she didn't lose her fiancé to a heart attack but a breakup, and her disturbing behaviors are part of the plot twists. Jen becomes more unhinged as she unravels the mystery of her husband's death and secret lives around her.[1]”

Great write up and an enjoyable read...thx for posting

With the purchase of my iPad Pro came a one year subscription for Apple Tv+. Binged “for all mankind” and “see”. Liked “see” more than I expected and I hope I can catch season 2.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:28 PM

Thanks Craig, great tips here. We’re current on The Last Kingdom and Dead to Me, both great series, but haven’t tried a couple of the others you list yet. We’ll give Witcher a shot next.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-03-2020, 12:35 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Thanks Craig, great tips here. We’re current on The Last Kingdom and Dead to Me, both great series, but haven’t tried a couple of the others you list yet. We’ll give Witcher a shot next.

The Witcher might be the ‘weakest’ of them but good for some ‘escape time’. I will watch it if there is another season.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 06-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Racing Hoopties

I have to give the Wikipedia writers most of the credit here!!!
Old 06-03-2020, 10:19 PM
Racing Hoopties

I have also been watching the new season of Penny Dreadful on Showtime. I loved the first run [emoji125] f a couple of seasons set around the turn of the 21st century England. This new run is set in the late 1930s Los Angeles. My verdict is still with the Jury in deliberation after 6 episodes.

Last edited by crwilli; 06-03-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:28 AM
Life is beautiful

Thanks Craig!

@Jacques: we bought an Apple TV, came also with a free year of Apple TV Plus.
'Defending Jacob' is a series we enjoyed.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-07-2020, 05:18 AM

I am catching up with ‘The Crine’ on Blu-ray
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 06-07-2020, 11:16 AM
Racing Hoopties

About to finish ‘Fauda’ on Netflix. The 3 seasons of catch up has taken some time. It has kept me interested and on the edge of my seat through every season.

I take it as a (often times) dramatization of both sides of the Israeli / Palestinian life together. I don’t want to get into politics / history. It might not be to everyone’s taste.

“Fauda (Hebrew: פאודה‎, from Arabic: فوضى‎ fawḍā, meaning "chaos") is an Israeli television series developed by Lior Raz and Avi Issacharoff drawing on their experiences in the Israel Defense Forces. The series premiered on February 15, 2015. It tells the story of Doron, a commander in the Mista'arvim unit and his team as they pursue a Hamas arch-terrorist known as "The Panther."”

Edit - and many more Hamas / ISIS ‘terroists’.

Last edited by crwilli; 06-07-2020 at 02:13 PM.