AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 04-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......Your sound system is looking good. Don't forget you can adjust the moving magnet phone capacitance. You may want to try a few different settings to see how it impacts the overall frequency response of your phono cartridge.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......Your sound system is looking good. Don't forget you can adjust the moving magnet phone capacitance. You may want to try a few different settings to see how it impacts the overall frequency response of your phono cartridge.
That's a thought, I haven't tried that. I never adjusted the Aragon, either. My standard volume setting on the 2300 is 42, which for me is close to cranking it up; yesterday the MM volume was 44 and not as loud as 42 on the line stage. Previously I needed to turn it up to around 48–50 for comparable volume with LPs. I'll have to get the 2300's manual out and play with that.

I'm also considering caps for the unused RCA ports in the system, not just the 2300. Not sure which brand to get; I've seen Audio Additives (the least expensive), Audioquest, Vincent and Cardas. It's not about sound, but keeping the ports clean.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 04-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......Also, remember you can adjust the phono stage trim up a few decibels so that the volume level on your preamp display will reflect what you are accustomed to seeing.

You may be surprised at the change in sound when you make adjustments to the moving magnet capacitance setting. I don't know what phono interconnects you are using or their length but I would suggest a starting point at 300 pF and go up or down 50 pF at a time from that point to hear any differences that may developed.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Charles.......Also, remember you can adjust the phono stage trim up a few decibels so that the volume level on your preamp display will reflect what you are accustomed to seeing.

You may be surprised at the change in sound when you make adjustments to the moving magnet capacitance setting. I don't know what phono interconnects you are using or their length but I would suggest a starting point at 300 pF and go up or down 50 pF at a time from that point to hear any differences that may developed.
More food for thought (and action). Thanks. I would have more time on a weekend for such experimenting usually, so it may wait until then to really test things with LPs. Meantime, I did adjust the MM trim to 300pF; it was set to 250, probably the default. But the volume was set to 0, and I think the manual says to make such adjustments at the volume you listen. We'll see.

The tonearm cable is a 2m Van den Hul; I also have the original 1.5m cable that came with the SME 309 arm. I may even try going back to that.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 04-22-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:32 AM
Semi-audiophile

I have been trying the various tubes I have here and I note how dependent the 2300 is on the tube in use for its ultimate sound. I've had the stock tubes, JJs, Amperexes, and now Mullards. There are differences, but there does seem to be a core sound that remains. The tubes have made for a "variations on a theme" effect. Interesting. There are Gold Lions in the house, but so far I am enjoying the Mullards immensely (they may stay in), and I'm beginning to appreciate the 2300 more. I'm still a solid-state guy at heart, so that last statement is not insignificant. It's almost as if the tubes themselves function as tone controls.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:14 AM
Semi-audiophile

The Mullards have been in for a couple of weeks now, and with about 20 hours on them, are showing themselves stellar performers. A bargain at the $18.95 they cost me (incl. the matched pair option). I still have yet to try the MM phono stage with them, but hope to soon.

Next month's TAS will have a review of the Parasound JC 3+ phono stage. I had come close to getting a JC 3 just before the upgraded model came out. If the review is lights out, I may begin to consider it again. Of course, the previous model would be fine (and cheaper), but I'll be interested to read the review. As mentioned before, the C2300's bulky ground connection bothers me a bit, as I can't get a good fit with the spades from my tonearm cable. I am crazy enough to buy a JC 3(+) just to have a more comfortable connection, but common sense (and my wallet) is against that. If the ground connection really bothers me I could just put my Aragon back into the system, but either option reintroduces more cables and means another reconfiguration.

I really need to start playing records, I think. Soon.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Semi-audiophile

Last night I played a Moody Blues DVD, Hall of Fame: Live from the Royal Albert Hall, and I encountered something I didn't expect. In case anyone's not familiar with the DVD, the Moodies are backed by a full orchestra and an additional percussionist, along with two backup singers.

Even in the top menu, something wasn't right to my ears as the orchestral fanfare played over the menu options; this continued through the program itself. It sounded as though the audio had been remixed. Tympani lacked the power and prominence I remember when my LS3 was running things. It's as if it was turned down. Overall, the sound wasn't as loud or as weighty. John Lodge's bass was more articulate and a bit more forward in the mix, and in spots I could hear the orchestra a bit better than before, but overall the sound was less full. This is not the type of sound I heard when I swapped out tubes last time.

The tubes are new production Mullards. When I first put them in I was really pleased at how strong and full the sound was, the bottom end as well. I'd even turned the bass down to flat from the +3 I'd been using. But the Mullards have been in since May 24, so I'm sure they're broken in. So far only this particular DVD has been an issue, but it makes me wonder if I should try the Gold Lions I have here now, or first wait to see if another recording or two (of any kind) strikes me similarly and if so then concede that I am indeed a true solid-state guy and replace the 2300 for a solid-state preamp.

I had been ok with the Mullards until this. Now I'll be paying more attention going forward. The 2300 does other things I like well, so there's reluctance to call the great tube experiment over. What I think is I'll wait to see if any other familiar discs demonstrate the same issue and worry about it then.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......What DVD player are you using to get your two channel feed to the C2300? It could be a source issue and not a preamp issue.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:22 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Charles.......What DVD player are you using to get your two channel feed to the C2300? It could be a source issue and not a preamp issue.
I have calmed down from my initial panic. I listened to NPR yesterday and all seemed well there. But I have put the bass back to +3 for all sources for now.

The player is a Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD. I think it's an anomaly with this disc. The player is set to downmix everything to two channel, same as it's always been. I will play with the disc settings to see what happens. The default was Dolby 5.0; I set it to 2.0. They sounded about the same. I will experiment with the disc, as this player was in use with the LS3 also. I'm pretty sure it's just this disc. I may have not saved the 2.0 option as I'd thought, also.

UPDATE: After another go with the Moodies DVD, I have concluded that it's the preamp and the differences between the 2300 and the LS3, also perhaps between tube and solid state. The 2300 simply offers a different presentation. It's not the tubes, either. There are details and subtleties present with the 2300 that the LS3 doesn't offer; yet there are things the LS3 has that the 2300 doesn't offer. It's almost as if it's a different mix. Overall, I think it's coming down to the LS3's more dynamic, powerful presentation versus the 2300's detailed and perhaps more natural one. A matter of preference, ultimately. Things clearly present with one are less prominent with the other.

Last edited by prepress; 07-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:57 AM
Semi-audiophile

A question. Has anyone ever done or know of a comparison between the C2300 and the C500P?