AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:22 AM

You can stick to MC cart if you had a step-up transformer.

For rock, you could put a modified DL-103r with a step-up transformer. The Cadenza Bronze is a great cart as well ! You will be more than happy with it.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
My new TT will come with 2 arms.
Should both carts be both MC ? Or one should be MM by any sonic reason ?
I have to find phono stage with two inputs.
Mod Right PH 150 seems to have features that I like, except its two input is one MM and one MC,
So I cannot have two MC carts. Except by using SUT right ?

Toga
I haven't tried the megabucks MC, but the ones I've tried always sounded a bit edgy and bright to me, especially on some recordings. For the price of a low-mid range MC (~$1000) you can get a top of the line MM (like the Clearaudio Maestro, which is what I have) and, if you are like me, you are set.

Another option if you have two tonearms is to save one for a less expensive cartridge to play records that are not in perfect conditions, or save the stylus of the expensive cartridge for critical listening.

Alberto
Old 11-22-2014, 07:28 PM

If you like classical, or older music, buy a A23 SPU SUT, an Ortofon Classic SPU on your Jelco tonearm into your MM input.

For your TW tonearm, just buy the best cartridge you can jusutify spending money on. For an open window, fast and transparent - Lyra is the best choice.
best all rounder - dynavector XV-1s - such amusical cartridge with more than enough transparency and drive to keep one interested in any type of music.
More polite presentation try Ortofon, warmer but still with enough transparency the higher end Koetsu's.

many choices out there.

imo for your super dynamic highly revealing system, one would have to go to older vintage MM's to compete with the current LOMC's.

Last edited by turntable; 11-22-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:39 AM

Turntable, so much spot-on wisdom
In your post!
Old 11-27-2014, 03:55 PM

I have two Tables, one with a Denon DL-103r w/hardwood body tweak and one with a AT-150. The AT is my snap crackle pop cartridge. It seems to pick up less surface noise and excels on rock recordings from the late 60’s and early 70’s. The Denon is smooth and sweet handles everything nicely. Also the AT-150 has a user replaceable stylus, so after a few years of use on beat up used vinyl, it like new in minutes.
Amps: VTL 450MKII, Speakers: B&W 801S-3, Full Function Pre-Amp: McIntosh C-2500, Multi-Format Digital Disc Player: Esoteric DV-50. Hard Drive Based Digital Playback: Mac Mini w/Esoteric D-07 DAC. Vinyl Playback:Technics SL-1210MKII w/Jelco 750 arm , Denon DL-103r w/hardwood body and Denon DP-500M w/Jelco 750 arm and AT-14sa. Power and Cabling: PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Cabling=various mid level MIT.

Last edited by Allan W.; 11-27-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
If you do go MM I would recommend the Ortofon 2M Black. I run on a ProJect 9CC arm and it is fabulous.
Regards,
Jim
+1. Great MM and the Jelco is an excellent arm for rock, electronic jazz, etc.
Your Jelco has a universal headshell. You can simply purchase an additional universal headshell and mount the mono cartridge on it. Then swap the headshells to swap cartridges (which would all ready be aligned with that headshell). I do so with all my cartridges at the moment, but will likely add a dedicated MC TT/TA at some point.

If you haven't purchased a preamp, I'm very pleased with the Cary PH-302. Has both MM & MC inputs by using built-in Lundahl SUTs for MC. Can select either from the front.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 12-11-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:32 PM

Since you are evaluating options, you might want to read up on the advantages of moving iron over moving coil and moving magnet cartridges. Joseph Grado is generally credited with inventing the moving coil cartridge. But he later developed an improved moving iron cartridge and discovered it provided some performance and sonic advantages over moving coil and moving magnet cartridges. Most Grado cartridges utilize the moving iron design.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan W. View Post
Also the AT-150 has a user replaceable stylus, so after a few years of use on beat up used vinyl, it like new in minutes.
Another +1. The AT150MXL is second only to the Ortofon 2M Black in the world of MM cartridges. If I had not found such a good buy on the 2M Black I would have lived happily with the AT150Ti. I'm purposely neglecting the $1200 Clearaudio MM as I haven't heard one and would go MC at that level if I could not audition.

Personally, am not a fan of the Grado sound. But, plenty of folks are, so give them some thought. Believe the new Soundsmith cartridges are also moving iron.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag