AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:30 AM
Cool, calm scientist

The name may be funny, but acc. to beta testers, this DAC outperforms major contenders including the MSB Analog DAC, Bricasti M1, Audio-gd, etc., etc.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:39 PM

Mine just arrived yesterday. Spent about two hours with it after letting it warm up a little bit. From what I understand, the DAC chips they use are military spec and it really takes a few days for a week for it to come up to proper temperature.

From Schiit's owners manual -
"We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance. Seriously. No kidding. Yes, we know, this sounds like hoo-ha about “burn-in” and magick discs/stones/markers/etc. But in Yggy’s case, this is a real thing,
and a serious recommendation.

Why? Because the mil-spec D/A converters in Yggy really do operate best once they’re up to temperature. As with a lot of other components inside the box. So, the logical solution (at a power cost of $50-100 per year, depending on where you live) is simply to turn it on, and leave it on. This is facilitated by inconveniently placing the power switch in the rear."

Out of the box, it does sound pretty good. One of the things that it is supposed to do is have a really great low-end, what one user on HF that has spent a lot of time with it calls "Moffat Bass" after the designer...and I was thinking, "ok, I don't see what's so special here". About an hour in, Moffat Bass appeared for the first time...I need to spend more time with the Yggy before I can think of words that describe it, but it sounds really good.

Also around the same time, the timing (PRaT) really changed and the music became much more involving. I admit, I have never been a big believer in "burn-in" but, I'll be damned if it isn't happening with Yggy. So far it appears to be the real deal.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Yggdrasil sounds like a medication.
Or a group of friends tying to describe the meaning of life or some nifty new technology after one too many alcoholic drinks

Cheers
Orb
Old 04-26-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
This is facilitated by inconveniently placing the power switch in the rear."
This is not a bug. It's a feature !
Old 04-26-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Mine just arrived yesterday. Spent about two hours with it after letting it warm up a little bit. From what I understand, the DAC chips they use are military spec and it really takes a few days for a week for it to come up to proper temperature. From Schiit's owners manual - "We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance. Seriously. No kidding. Yes, we know, this sounds like hoo-ha about “burn-in” and magick discs/stones/markers/etc. But in Yggy’s case, this is a real thing, and a serious recommendation. Why? Because the mil-spec D/A converters in Yggy really do operate best once they’re up to temperature. As with a lot of other components inside the box. So, the logical solution (at a power cost of $50-100 per year, depending on where you live) is simply to turn it on, and leave it on. This is facilitated by inconveniently placing the power switch in the rear." Out of the box, it does sound pretty good. One of the things that it is supposed to do is have a really great low-end, what one user on HF that has spent a lot of time with it calls "Moffat Bass" after the designer...and I was thinking, "ok, I don't see what's so special here". About an hour in, Moffat Bass appeared for the first time...I need to spend more time with the Yggy before I can think of words that describe it, but it sounds really good. Also around the same time, the timing (PRaT) really changed and the music became much more involving. I admit, I have never been a big believer in "burn-in" but, I'll be damned if it isn't happening with Yggy. So far it appears to be the real deal.
Congrats! Can't wait to hear how you like it after a week or so.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Mine just arrived yesterday. Spent about two hours with it after letting it warm up a little bit. From what I understand, the DAC chips they use are military spec and it really takes a few days for a week for it to come up to proper temperature.

From Schiit's owners manual -
"We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance. Seriously. No kidding. Yes, we know, this sounds like hoo-ha about “burn-in” and magick discs/stones/markers/etc. But in Yggy’s case, this is a real thing,
and a serious recommendation.

Why? Because the mil-spec D/A converters in Yggy really do operate best once they’re up to temperature. As with a lot of other components inside the box. So, the logical solution (at a power cost of $50-100 per year, depending on where you live) is simply to turn it on, and leave it on. This is facilitated by inconveniently placing the power switch in the rear."

Out of the box, it does sound pretty good. One of the things that it is supposed to do is have a really great low-end, what one user on HF that has spent a lot of time with it calls "Moffat Bass" after the designer...and I was thinking, "ok, I don't see what's so special here". About an hour in, Moffat Bass appeared for the first time...I need to spend more time with the Yggy before I can think of words that describe it, but it sounds really good.

Also around the same time, the timing (PRaT) really changed and the music became much more involving. I admit, I have never been a big believer in "burn-in" but, I'll be damned if it isn't happening with Yggy. So far it appears to be the real deal.
Chris...I am assuming this is going to compete with your QB-9 in desktop application as opposed to the ARC Ref DAC in your main system. I would be interested in knowing how it compares to both the QB-9 and the Ref DAC (if you decide to test it out in your main rig) once it settles/breaks in and you get a better handle on its sound. Any and all commentary/feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 AM

Actually I'm trying it out in my main system as a replacement for the Ref DAC. The burn-in is supposed to last approximately 130 hours, so late afternoon PST, it will be time for some critical listening.

Last edited by ChrisG; 04-27-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Actually I'm trying it out in my main system as a replacement for the Ref DAC. The burn-in is supposed to last approximately 130 hours, so late afternoon PST, it will be time for some critical listening.
Chris- congrats on getting an Yggy! My Gungnir took more than a week to really settle in, be patient with your Yggy and you'll be rewarded. I too look forward to your impressions and comparisons.
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:15 PM

ChrisG - I'm looking forward to your comments on the Yggdrasil DAC. I've heard that they have great bass and dynamics, but what I'm interested in has more to do with the mids and high end response. I mostly enjoy analog playback, since with a good recording when a cymbal is struck you can hear the impact of the wood on metal and then the shimmering cymbal and then how its decay fades away. You also hear a presence or body to vocals. With the vast majority of digital gear the cymbals sound more like a burst of static and the mids are often lacking the presence that I like. I'm hoping that the Yggy gets this right and sounds more like good analog reproduction. Thanks in advance for your time and sharing your insights.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:31 AM

The Yggy has landed! I swapped the Yggy into my system in place of the Gungnir, it took 10, no maybe 20 seconds, to hear that Yggy was making music in a way the Gungnir could not. Without getting into all of our audiophile cliches I will say this: I play congas in a band with some friends, I hear musical instruments in real life on a regular basis. The Yggy produces music that sounds like real musical instruments and human voices. If feel as if I am sitting in the studio control room, listening to the final mix with the producers, artists and engineers.

Now, I understand this DAC needs a good week or more to settle into it's sweet spot, which is what the Gungnir required. Given what I am hearing right now, powered on for only 3 hours, I cannot imagine what will be happening this time next week.
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.