AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 07-10-2021, 01:11 PM

Default Accuphase Class AB vs Class A

Anyone prefers Accuphase Class AB to Class A?

On my Guarneri Memento, I owned the C3850 / A200 (Class A) / DG58, but preferred the Nagra Classic Preamp / Classic Amp (Class AB) / Classic DAC. Cables were Crystal Cables.

I auditioned the Amati Tradition with the Audio Note Cobra, AVM A5.2, Gryphon Diablo 120, McIntosh MA12000, and Accuphase E800. Cables were Transparent Cables. The E800 was the most expensive, but sounded the worst.

To me, at least on Sonus faber speakers, the Accuphase Class A sounds a bit too soft on the top, bass not as forceful and a bit loose, not as dynamic, and a little bit boring compared to the rest. It doesn't draw me into the music. However, their built quality is flawless, even better than the German gears.

Any chance the E480 could outperform the E800? No way for me to audition the E480. I did audition the E280, but that was worse than the Naim Supernait 3.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:12 AM

That’s a really good question and I think it comes down to your speakers and what sound you are looking for. I recently heard the E800 and part of me preferred the E380 that I’d heard a few weeks earlier. I wish I could have heard the E480 as well but it wasn’t possible…

Class A definitely gives you that rich, warm sound if that’s what you want but maybe with Sonus Faber speakers Class AB is better suited. I would think the Gryphon could be a good match?
Old 07-11-2021, 03:10 PM

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that Accuphase Class A transitions to Class AB when driven past it's rated output.

My ranking during the audition with Amati Tradition and Transparent cables.

1. Audio Note Cobra
2. AVM A 5.2 and Gryphon Diablo 120
3. McIntosh MA12000
4. Accuphase E800

Surprisingly, the Cobra sounded the best. It's the cheapest and lowest power (EL34 28w). It's Class A. But didn't sound too soft or rich. For my listening habit and volume, I stayed under 1w 90% of the time. Never went over 10w according to the E800 meter.

Power was not an issue at all. The 350w MA12000 didn't sound any more powerful or dynamic than the Cobra. No dynamic restrictions were heard on any of the amp. The only thing I didn't like about the Cobra is its below average fit and finish. Thin sheet metal chassis, uneven gaps between parts, knobs not smooth, etc.

Last edited by TommyC; 07-11-2021 at 10:54 PM. Reason: MA12000 puts out 350w, not 300w
Old 07-11-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that Accuphase Class A transitions to Class AB when driven past it's rated output.

My ranking during the audition with Amati Tradition and Transparent cables.

1. Audio Note Cobra
2. AVM A 5.2 and Gryphon Diablo 120
3. McIntosh MA12000
4. Accuphase E800

Surprisingly, the Cobra sounded the best. It's the cheapest and lowest power (EL34 28w). It's Class A. But didn't sound too soft or rich. For my listening habit and volume, I stayed under 1w 90% of the time. Never went over 10w according to the E800 meter.

Power was not an issue at all. The 300w MA12000 didn't sound any more powerful or dynamic than the Cobra. No dynamic restrictions were heard on any of the amp. The only thing I didn't like about the Cobra is its below average fit and finish. Thin sheet metal chassis, uneven gaps between parts, knobs not smooth, etc.
TommyC, are you considering purchasing an Amati Tradition or any of these amps or just auditioning?

Best

Charles
Old 07-11-2021, 06:26 PM

I’m considering either the Serafino or the Maxima Amator with an integrated amp. The Amati is too big for my room.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:05 PM

TommyC, my thought would be that a class A Accuphase would be an excellent choice but so would any of the other amps. The Tradition needs an amp of 100 watts minimum as specified by SF. Sooner or later you will want to turn a speaker like it up, and when you do you may find that you need more power. It's a mistake to buy a beautiful speaker like the Tradition and leave it under powered. But for the Maxima Amator a class A Accuphase would be absolutely perfect, if you have the funds.

Best,

Charles
Old 07-11-2021, 10:39 PM

Hi Charles, thanks for the suggestions. Did you have a chance to listen to both the Tradition and the Maxima Amator?

The Maxima wasn't available for me to audition. My dealer said the Tradition is easier to drive since it's 90db vs 88db of the Maxima.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Hi Charles, thanks for the suggestions. Did you have a chance to listen to both the Tradition and the Maxima Amator?

The Maxima wasn't available for me to audition. My dealer said the Tradition is easier to drive since it's 90db vs 88db of the Maxima.
TommyC, I wouldn't worry about sensitivity. Smaller speakers are almost always less sensitive than larger ones but this doesn't mean they need more power. It all depends on your future plans. A tradition by all accounts is a tremendous speaker that would work well with a large class A Accuphase. If you have the funds and are really interested in a purchase, go with the Tradition and the small class A Accuphase. Then you can look forward to a future upgrade on the power. Again, at some point you are going to want to turn it up and for the speakers to perform, you will need at least 100 watts.

Best

Charles
Old 08-03-2021, 11:35 AM

Default Oulahlahhhh

Oulahlahhhh,
very old question, that A or AB topic.
Many pages have been written about this. Many debates.
It is a question of taste, and of associations.
It is like a classical guitar, with a spruce or a cedar table.
Better to have both ;-)
Old 02-24-2022, 03:49 PM

Do Accuphase Class A amps operate purely in A or do they move into AB when more watts are required?