AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:09 AM

Default Rose RS150 streamer/dac

Have anyone heard the Rose RS150 streamer/dac?
Seams like a nice streamer dac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxzhr-GTgbw

But how hood is the dac?
B&W CM10 S2
REL S812
Old 05-30-2021, 05:05 PM

Here's a review.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...reamer-review/
Old 05-01-2022, 02:08 PM

The streamer is good, but the software not. The user manual is mostly about the connections but almost nothing about how the machine works. The machine is capable to do many things and a detailed user manual is needed.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:06 AM

i just ordered one . my dealer auditioned it and was so impressed at its price point picked up the line.
Mcintosh C1100 preamp, Mcintosh Mc462 amp, SF Amati Tradition, VPI prime 21, koetsu rosewood sig, oppo 105, marantz 8802A, sony projector, stewart screen, thiel in wall and ceiling, REL sub, Outlaw surround amps, shunyata 6000 v2, shunyata sigma V2 NR(X2), shunyata sigma V2 HC for denali, transparent ultra gen5 speaker and IC's, ultra gen 6 phono, MIT oracle matrix 50.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:40 PM

I was in the market for a new streamer. After following a couple fellow AAs journey (George Prentice’s and Bart’s threads on their experience on streamers, thank you guys!), I was skeptical but remained inspired to learn more about how important sources can affect the listening experience.

Read all about the entry offerings from Auralic Altair G2.1, Aurender A200, and newcomer Hifi Rose RS150B. From a Dac standpoint, the Altair G2.1 and Rose RS150 have raved reviews on their implementation. No local demos were available for these contenders so I took a leap of faith with the RS150B. What’s the worst case scenario with a 60 days return policy?

Hifi Rose’s in its audio infancy but its parent company has been in the electronics business for over 50 years. As expected, early reviewers and owners reported software bugs but also shared Hifi Rose was very responsive in addressing user concerns. Firmwares were consistent and alleviated some concerns I had.

System background, I was upgrading from a Bluesound Node 2i connected to a Mac C2300 preamp and MC501s powering B&W 802D2s. The Node was and still is a great value for a streamer. As the years past, music from the same sources (both CDs and streaming Tidal) just seemed to sound brighter in my living/listening room. The brightness frustration lead to an actual listening demo at a Sonus faber dealer. Almost pulled a trade-in offer for the SF Serafinos but my gut warned me not act impulsive. For the record, the SF Serafinos are drop dead gorgeous art pieces in person!

Back to the RS150B. It came safe in a double box. Unboxing showed a very well thought out packaging with durable foams and a cloth-like cover protecting the unit from scratches. The manual speaks mostly about the unit connections and hardware features. The Bluetooth remote is practical but could be made better. Overall, hook up and a few clicks to Hifi Rose Connect iPad app and website took less than an hour. Fortunately, I didn’t experience any software glitches.

The RS150B is equipped with an ESS Pro vs the AKM chip from the Hifi Rose early release of the RS150. There are no knobs, buttons on the unit. Real estate is dedicated all to its impressive 14.9 inch touch screen. I am totally comfortable with the screen design but user experience will definitely vary.

The RS150B has an endless list of features and more inputs/outputs than I’ll ever need. It’s fully listed on the Hifi Rose website so I won’t bore you here.

So how does it sound? The RS150B was connected via XLRs to the C2300 preamp replacing the Node 2i. There were no other changes made to my current system.

Less than 5 hours of burn-in….within a couple songs from Norah Jones (Come Away With Me, Tidal MQA), my jaws dropped. I have listened to this album dozens of times on Tidal and on SACD. The system brightness literally disappeared. Soundstage, depth, clarity came alive but it was the separation, placement, and sense of air and space around the instruments that sold me.

I have always believed that the room, speakers, preamps, amps, and sources (in that order) mostly affect our music listening. Just so surprised that a source can have such an enormous effect on the overall listening experience! OMG! George/Bart, thank you so much for saving my system!!!

This is not an endorsement for the Hifi Rose RS150B. There are many other options out there, YMMV with system synergy, and your own ears. Just wanted to share my personal experience.

Loaded a few attachments, hopefully they display correctly.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:24 PM

Thanks for sharing, great photos. It is a 21st century component.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:54 PM
Life is beautiful

Wonderful!
Thank you for sharing the journey.
Yes, the source is very, very important.

Hifi Rose get very good reviews from all over the world.
I think you made a good choice.
I quite like that big screen by the way.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-23-2022, 02:42 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Personally, I'd rather have a Lumin T2 for approximately the same price.

And...the Lumin has a proper ground terminal on it.

And with the release of the Shunyata Altaira grounding hubs forthcoming at some point, that's going to be important.

It's particularly important for digital components because they are specifically very prone to ground-plane noise and that noise-component is insidious for it's impact on audio quality. It impacts threshold jitter and ultimately, timing.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 06-23-2022 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:25 AM

Great review, audiogear!

Please clarify--in your comparisons, are you using the DACs within the Node and Hifi Rose, or the DAC in the C2300?

Thanks

Last edited by PeterMusic; 06-23-2022 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:37 PM

Thanks guys!

I did check into the Lumin T2. I’m sure it’s one of the best options available but couldn’t get over the design personally. Ultimately, the Rose checked off all my boxes.

Yes, used as streaming DACs…both the Node and Rose were connected via RCA/XLR respectively into the C2300 preamp. Currently not pairing any separate DAC. Honestly an unfair comparison as the Rose is priced many times over the Node. Improvements were expected but I wasn’t prepared for how much better the Rose made my system sound as to Bart’s point on the source.

The Rose has less than 10 hours burn in so I’d imagined the full sound signature hasn’t settled in yet.