AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 12-19-2020, 03:10 AM

So i may have spoken to soon.

I did follow phc1 and my dealers advice to relax and to give the
Conditioner time to “settle in” for a couple of hours, this and my
Reducing my speakers toe in removed about 70% of the sibilance.

I was only given 3 days by the dealer to decide on the purchase.
I did remove the conditioner and again plug everything to the wall,
The effect was like putting speaker grills losing some micro details.

So my question is what is this “settling in” period and how does this
Differ from actual “break in”, if theres such a thing, whats the difference
Between the two.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post
May i know why you no longer have the power isolator?

So i did removed the integrated amp and directly connected
It to the wall outlet — big improvement, but still bright for my
Taste, i mean i bought the isolator for my equipments protection
And it just “diminishes” its value if i cant connect a part of my
Sytem to it.
When the Shunyata Everest came out I wanted to compare it to the Transparent and I also like the form factor of the Everest. While I did prefer the Everest this had nothing to do with brightness. My amp is separate from my other audio components that reside in a rack on the side wall, so I never had the intention to plug my amp into the Power Isolator. Transparent also recommended that the best results may be achieved by plugging the amp directly into the wall.

All of my interconnect, speaker and most power cables were Transparent Reference or above at the time.

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 12-19-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Between the two.
Whenever existing cables are moved, or new cables are put into place in a system there is a period of time where the cables need to “settle in”. The sound can change based on the alteration of the signal and power flow as it pertains to the structure of the internal cable components. This can also be true for other electronics or components that are connected together in the system.

“Break-in” is more related to the optimization of the individual components or circuit parts that comprise the entirety of the finished product. Depending on the type of parts implemented this can yield a significant change as the process takes place. Often there is a larger percieved or audible change in the first 50-100 hours with more subtle differences beyond. The type of internal parts like capacitors, metalurgy or in the case of speakers the driver design and materials can all influence the time necessary for optimization.

MSB Reference DAC
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 12-19-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
Whenever existing cables are moved, or new cables are put into place in a system there is a period of time where the cables need to “settle in”. The sound can change based on the alteration of the signal and power flow as it pertains to the structure of the internal cable components. This can also be true for other electronics or components that are connected together in the system.

“Break-in” is more related to the optimization of the individual components or circuit parts that comprise the entirety of the finished product. Depending on the type of parts implemented this can yield a significant change as the process takes place. Often there is a larger percieved or audible change in the first 50-100 hours with more subtle differences beyond. The type of internal parts like capacitors, metalurgy or in the case of speakers the driver design and materials can all influence the time necessary for optimization.
Buddy, imagine if all that which you just said was actually true... All the super precise laboratory equipment and every particle accelerator in the world would be a complete waste of time....

Never mind today's experiment Dr.Kaminishu, Joey from janitorial services unplugged the electron microscope again...

Old 12-19-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Between the two.
There is no break in. The electronic parts are manufactured with tolerances in factories which are guaranteed not to drift or we could never get to the Moon or Mars... Your doctor would not be able to get an accurate diagnosis because the MRI or CAT machine in the hospital was using the "wrong" power cord... OK?

In audio, the "ears" and the "mood" are the break in process. It goes something like this.... We run home with that new component. Expectations are very high from a multi-thousand dollar power isolator... We often will grab the most exciting CD or worse yet, a new and unheard CD for the celebration!

When reality does not meet expectations, the shock to the system makes everything sound like dog excrement...

Take a deep breath, let it "settle", let it "burn in" but in reality, let your mood and blood pressure return to normal.

There is no break in audio. Can't be. The components are no different than the ones in your household appliances or any other electronic device...

Ever wonder why the iPhone never needs a break in? It just works from the box doesn't it? Imagine those spicy texts going to the wrong recipient if the iPhone was not broken in yet?

Having said that and laughed a bit, we can on a serious note say the following... Speakers do benefit from a break in. The mechanical parts of the driver or the "suspension" needs to work itself in and loosen up. The speaker becomes more relaxed and coherent. Smoother sound. It should not take long.

As far as the Transparent Power Isolator. The only "possible" component that can potentially change its value ever so slightly are the fancy filtering capacitors they put in those devices. The "forming" of the capacitors as it is called typically applies to the bigger capacitors of the less usual construction compared to the mass produced capacitors used in everything, including Elon Musk SpaceX rockets...

The Transparent piece you have is not an "active" device. Not a power regenerator. It is mostly a "parallel device" that filters and isolates the outlets. So there is really nothing to break in or affect the sound so it sounds like "grating", "harsh", "screeching" or any other adjective like that.

There are many variables... a system that has not reached its potential from synergy of various of components and/or speakers that are not agreeing with your ears and/or music recording that you are not very familiar with and God knows there are a lot of bad recordings.

What were your troubles with the system when you went to the audio store for the power isolator?
Old 12-19-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Buddy, imagine if all that which you just said was actually true... All the super precise laboratory equipment and every particle accelerator in the world would be a complete waste of time....

Never mind today's experiment Dr.Kaminishu, Joey from janitorial services unplugged the electron microscope again...
Well thankfully you are here and have all of the answers and facts.

My statements are only based on what I have experienced and information manufacturers have shared with me based on equipment I have owned.
I was merely offering insight with my posts and the questions being asked on the current model Transparent Reference Power Isolator that I owned and had in my system for over a year and never sounded bright.

Only trying to help someone that outlayed a lot of money, but I will let your opinion prevail going forward as I am out.

MSB Reference DAC
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Shunyata Cables

Last edited by Audio 1; 12-19-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:

That aligns with my experience.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Well thankfully you are here and have all of the answers and facts.j

My statements are only based on what I have experienced and information manufacturers have shared with me based on equipment I have owned.
I was merely offering insight with my posts and the questions being asked on the current model Transparent Reference Power Isolator that I owned and had in my system for over a year and never sounded bright.

Only trying to help someone that outlayed a lot of money, but I will let your opinion prevail going forward as I am out.
Don't take it personally Buddy. It was not directed at you but rather at the madness that has accrued over the past decades. Being around audiophiles who fuel the madness that goes completely against any scientific evidence and even against component manufacturers that our audio gear is built from to begin with.

In the face of no evidence, we will stand up and say, "We hear that, which can not be measured! Measurements be damned, my ears know better"!

Except that even professional musicians mistake a Stradivarius violin from a modern violin while being blind folded, all the while being very vocal about the Stradivarius sounding so distinct is is unmistakable. No way anyone can mistake them right? Well.... https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ence-says-nope

The problem is that we think our memory is "bit perfect". It is not. It is a very abstract apparatus... Many of the memories are simple overlays of what actually happened and they are not 100%. When it comes to an "aging audiophile" ear that is not even "musically trained" or "does not have pitch perfect hearing" and recalling what they think they heard an hour ago or a week, a month ago?? Seriously?

At some point the rational audiophile will return but it will be a long journey home...

I welcome any scientific evidence of gear burn in and its effect on sound outside what some claim they remember hearing over the break in process....

Please... I will be waiting with anticipation.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:24 PM

Perfect example of being an audiophile so long that the "reasonable explanation" that we simply hear differently throughout the day, that the mood affects how we perceive things is no longer necessary. Not even for an engineer. Turns out Burn-in is not only real but it is not even permanent! A component will return to its original unbroken in state! I don't meant to laugh but it is just what this hobby does to us.

This is Paul McGowan.

Is Burn in Real?

https://youtu.be/lJFnlDTtsBA
Old 12-19-2020, 02:30 PM

No, Physiology definitely holds no candle next to audiophilia...

Laurel vs. Yanny: Why Do We Hear or See Things Differently?

https://youtu.be/E_iLOBOAnVQ