AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 12-02-2020, 07:53 PM

Hey oldominion, I can't speak for Dennis when it comes to trade-in's, that is something you will need to talk to him about.
Extra RCA jacks wouldn't be a problem to install.
I like integrated amps too, maybe I'll build one eventually.
As far as amps with volume controls, it depends on you.
I like to run an amp by itself when I am listening to certain types of music on my turntable with a phono section that has a lot of gain, or if I am listening to headphones.
But most of the time I use a preamp.
Lately Dennis has been putting vol pots on some amps to give customers the option to run their amps with or without a preamp.
Dennis was using a CJ5 the last time I listened with him.
So in my opinion it is a nice option to have, that isn't very expensive.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldominion View Post
Hey all, and happy holidays to you all, whatever those holidays may be!

Am curious to learn more about the new KT88/Inspire, which sounds an awful lot like my FireBottle, which is among my favorite amps of all time (and I've had plenty). Straitwire, I sent an email to Dennis last week inquiring about the KT88 w volume control and the possibility of adding two inputs so I could run it without a preamp. Have not heard back.

I've got a Yamamoto 2a3 amp w a vol control and have been enjoying the heck out of not having to mess with a preamp. Yes, it's kind of a pain switching cables between my phono stage and my streamer, but at the end of the day it's not that big a deal. (This amp is an absolute stunner, btw). Does anyone else out there have an opinion on this matter of preamp vs no preamp? I really enjoy the musings and aesthetic of Kevin at Glow in the Dark Audio dot com, and he eschews preamps and prefers the simplicity and purity of single-ended amps with vol controls. Got to say I'm coming around to his way of thinking!

Anyhow, I know Dennis is a busy man but since he chooses not to have a normal website offering information on his products and he seems to be the only person who can address these various product-oriented questions...well, you now what comes next!

My primary question is this: Does Dennis take trade-ins of his products and offer credit towards new ones? If not, no big deal. But if so, I'd like to talk turkey (gobble gobble) about trading in my FireBottle Universal and 3.1 preamp towards a single KT88 (universalish?) with a vol knob. Thanks!

Dennis will get back. He is always a week or more behind on email.

He has done trade-ins before. He goes over the unit. Auctions it used on eBay and credits the customer the sale price towards the new unit. Likely better than you or I could do. Not sure about 2 for 1.

As to the latest KT88 amps. They are pentode. Your Universal is Triode. I own both and both are awesome but different. Since you seem to have left the preamps behind you, I might suggest you trade in the 3.1 for an SEP Inspire. I suggest the 6FLVv. Then enjoy the comparison. Then sell the one you like least. Or keep them both which is what I have ended up doing.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:05 PM

I'm so crazy about the Inspire Universal it's hard to imagine topping it. I have a pair of finicky Altec 604 speakers and I really enjoy being able to throw different things at them with the Inspire's tube rolling capabilities, which I assume the 6FLV has as well. Any other thoughts about the 6FLV vs the Universal would be appreciated.

And now I'm second guessing trading in the 3.1 preamp! I'd like to learn more about the new Inspire preamp too, I suppose. Bearcity, do you use a pre? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:14 PM

I was wondering has anyone tried 7581 tubes? I want to buy some different tubes for my Inspire Universal.
Thanks
Rich
Old 12-03-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:

Used my 3.1 preamp with the Yammy and it didn't do it for me. .
Dennis doesn't publish specifications, sometimes even key specifications. One "key" specification of a preamplifier is its output impedance. Some tube preamps have very high output impedances. This is usually not a problem when used with a tube amplifier as they have high input impedance.

However some SS power amps have low'ish input impedances.

If these get too out of whack, you can lose low bass output and not sound the best.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlowz View Post
I was wondering has anyone tried 7581 tubes? I want to buy some different tubes for my Inspire Universal.
Thanks
Rich
Try a pair and let us know.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I'm so crazy about the Inspire Universal it's hard to imagine topping it. I have a pair of finicky Altec 604 speakers and I really enjoy being able to throw different things at them with the Inspire's tube rolling capabilities, which I assume the 6FLV has as well. Any other thoughts about the 6FLV vs the Universal would be appreciated.

And now I'm second guessing trading in the 3.1 preamp! I'd like to learn more about the new Inspire preamp too, I suppose. Bearcity, do you use a pre? Thanks.
I don't have a Universal but I often second guess myself. There isn't a 'bad' Inspire amp. Perhaps roll a few tubes before deciding to sell?
Old 12-03-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:

The 6FLV is optimized for 6F6, 6L6 and 6V6 tubes but it can be run with any beam powered pentode. I have a new model 6V6er which is a 6FLV with a different PT. I like the lower power tubes the best in it but I like the lower power tubes best in all my Inspire amps (Custom Universal, PSE, and 6V6er).

I also have 3 Inspire Preamps. An LP-3a, Lp-27a and a new CJ5. I have bypassed the pre with my 6V6er in that it has a volume control but I have found it fatiguing. My ears seem to like the softer touch that Dennis's preamps offer. Like Florida says they are all very good but the CJ5 is a significant step up from the others. I have heard it head to head with the LP-3.1 as well and my feelings are the same about the CJ5 being superior.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:12 PM

The output of the CJ5 is low impedance at 700 ohms.
It will drive long interconnects and match well into any impedance above 10k.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
The output of the CJ5 is low impedance at 700 ohms.
That is good to know. My SS preamp has an output impedance of 100 ohms, so I never have to worry about mismatching amps and interconnects. My Conrad-Johnson tube pre is 700 ohms. I know the old Dynaco PAS 3 was designed to drive a tube amp with an input impedance of 470K ohms. There were others around with output impedances of 1000 ohms or more.

I try to attain at least a 25:1 ratio to err on the safe side.