AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 12-28-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
Hello findthomas and welcome. I'm not a serious headphone user so haven't looked much at his headphone amp. I'm sure it is every bit as good as his power amps!

I see that it optionally comes with a preamp out making it versatile as well. Stock tubes or something exotic? I once had one of Dennis' previous flagships, the SLP-05 and a combo of Sylvania Chrome Dome vintage RCA 6SN7 was my choice. It used a bunch of tubes, so I had the flexibility of mixing brands. The Sylvanias were clear and more forward, the RCAs warmer and more laid back.

If you catch the rolling fever, you will at least be limited in variations compared to the SEP amps!
Thanks Peter. Nowadays, I have "downsized" to headphones-based audio, even ripping my SACDs into my computer.

The amp came with some basic 6SN7 tubes, but I added a Sylvania 6SN7GTB. I also opted for the preamp out, just in case.

Given that I'm a newbie to tubes, placing a limitation on tube variations is a good thing :-)
Old 12-28-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Well, I guess I made it onto the nice list this year. Santa gifted me a LP-27a Special Edition to pair with my PSE. My sweet wife told Dennis to give it the Works. I haven't spoken with him yet to find out what SE options were included. Cannot say I have a real good handle on it yet. It is very different than my LP-2 and LP-3a. I like it but I am not sure why. Less gain but more linear volume control which I am sure has much to do withe the stepped attenuator. I think it is considerably more transparent. Anyway, I am one happy boy. Pretty sure it is going to ultimately cost me a diamond or two.
Preamp hoarder!

Kidding of course. But I trust you will do a compare and contrast with such a range. I'm waiting for Dennis to get back to me about my options for upgrade to or from LP-2.

And how did your wife know what to order for you? Does she actually have some interest? When we have a visitor, and my wife gives a house tour, she points and says "that is Peter's geek stereo."

Last edited by pstrisik; 12-28-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess I made it onto the nice list this year. Santa gifted me a LP-27a Special Edition to pair with my PSE. My sweet wife told Dennis to give it the Works. I haven't spoken with him yet to find out what SE options were included. Cannot say I have a real good handle on it yet. It is very different than my LP-2 and LP-3a. I like it but I am not sure why. Less gain but more linear volume control which I am sure has much to do withe the stepped attenuator. I think it is considerably more transparent. Anyway, I am one happy boy. Pretty sure it is going to ultimately cost me a diamond or two.
A couple of rocks for a great preamp is worth it. FWIW, I haven't found a big difference in various brands of ST27's. Enjoy the new pre. It will improve with use.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:01 PM

I just got Dennis' email that my Fire Bottle is done, with the IIPS upgrade. So we are still within the twelve days window for gifting, right?

This one was to myself, because I knew what I wanted.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
And how did your wife know what to order for you? Does she actually have some interest? When we have a visitor, and my wife gives a house tour, she points and says "that is Peter's geek stereo."
She humors me sometimes by talking to me about my audio stuff. I later realize her interest lies in an upcoming gift giving holiday. She does like good music and appreciates a live show as much as anybody. Around the house she seems satisfied with earbuds, pandora, and an iPhone. Years ago when I was being evaluated as a mate by her, she had her brother come over for a gathering at my house. He liked my Cary mono-blocks a lot and we hit it off. I was ok in her eyes after that so I do have my own geek stereo to thank for my marriage of 10 years last August, in some way.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
She humors me sometimes by talking to me about my audio stuff. I later realize her interest lies in an upcoming gift giving holiday. She does like good music and appreciates a live show as much as anybody. Around the house she seems satisfied with earbuds, pandora, and an iPhone. Years ago when I was being evaluated as a mate by her, she had her brother come over for a gathering at my house. He liked my Cary mono-blocks a lot and we hit it off. I was ok in her eyes after that so I do have my own geek stereo to thank for my marriage of 10 years last August, in some way.
Congratulations, sounds like you scored big! So did I but not in the wife appreciating my hobby in any meaningful way other than glad I have something to be passionate about kind of way. I'm certainly grateful it is not a sore spot anyway!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:50 PM

My wife commonly refers to my setup as my "Mistress".... I refer to it as my "Geek" stereo, lol
Old 01-06-2017, 10:57 AM

I had the infinite impedance PSU upgrade done to my kt88 HO fire-bottle.
It's as Dennis describes, sweeter treble, less harsh. Maybe even more refined, or maybe I'm just noticing that now, not sure.

I also recently purchased an HiFiman HE6 (a notoriously hard headphone to drive). It sings out of the fire-bottle.

Fire-bottle isn't my best speaker amp, it's my best amp period.
This is a bit of a conundrum, because I want to use it for my Omega speakers, and also by HD800/HE6.

Has anybody here tried his headamp design, sold by Moon-Audio?
It's named the "Dragon Inspire IHA-1" if you want to google it.

I've been debating buying it, but I'm not sure if it would be as good as Dennis's custom built amps.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
Am I supposed to use a particular rectifier with the 6V6's?

The nos GE is rather good, even in the first few hours. I will have to swap the RCA and a Valve Arts 274B in and out later to be sure, but I am happy so far.
I am using GL KT77s at the moment.
I have a question for those with happy experiences using KT-77's in their Inspire amps: What would be the first rectifier choice to use with those?

I normally prefer the 5AR4 for the 6550/KT-88 family and the 274B or 5Z4 for the 6L6/KT-66/6V6 family. Yet, I've never even listened to an EL34, and the KT-77 definitely belongs in that tube family. Just wondering which type rectifier I can go with in testing the KT-77.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
I have a question for those with happy experiences using KT-77's in their Inspire amps: What would be the first rectifier choice to use with those?

I normally prefer the 5AR4 for the 6550/KT-88 family and the 274B or 5Z4 for the 6L6/KT-66/6V6 family. Yet, I've never even listened to an EL34, and the KT-77 definitely belongs in that tube family. Just wondering which type rectifier I can go with in testing the KT-77.

Thanks for any feedback.
With the higher power tubes, I think you can use any of the rectifiers you list. That would include all of the KT's (I think), 6550, EL34. I may be missing some.

The KT77 and EL34 are very very close in design. The new production Mullard EL34 is one of my current top power tubes. I haven't tried new production KT77.