AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 08-02-2011, 02:39 PM

Default Sa 500.1?

I've been trying to come up with a short list of power amps to consider as replacement for my Primare A32 to drive the Mag 3.7s

Bryston 14B, CJ ET250, DigitalAmps.. (well, not really) hanging around here I have to consider MC 452.

Then today out of the blue the dealer here in NJ suggests SA 500.1
Since I generally get nowhere trying to evaluate power amps in strange listening rooms, It looks like he'll be able to get a couple 500.1s for me to lug here and have a listen.

Since it's a fairly new amp, 'was hoping to get comments for existing users, or at least folks familiar with Cary in general.

Thanks very much for any/all comments!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:49 PM

well, it's been a few weeks now, local Cary dealer keeps saying "they are on the way" from where I can't imagine.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:48 AM

Two spanking new 500.1s showed up on Tuesday, they've been running now probably 25 hours. 'can't help having a listen now and then before the recommended 100 hrs. So far so very good.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:32 PM

Raynooo,

How is the impedance match on the ET5 with a Bryston? Is it compatible? Maybe James Tanner might give you some guidance. I know Bryston and Magnepan is always a good combo.

From the C-J ET5 info "This amplifier stage is connected to the preamplifier outputs through a high-current MOSFET buffer, which achieves a very low output impedance, making the ET5 extremely flexible in the choice of interconnect cables and amplifiers."

Joe

Last edited by joeinid; 09-09-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Raynooo,

How is the impedance match on the ET5 with a Bryston? Is it compatible? Maybe James Tanner might give you some guidance. I know Bryston and Magnepan is always a good combo.

From the C-J ET5 info "This amplifier stage is connected to the preamplifier outputs through a high-current MOSFET buffer, which achieves a very low output impedance, making the ET5 extremely flexible in the choice of interconnect cables and amplifiers."

Joe
I've heard this before, but as far as I know all the newer Bryston Amps are 50k input. Before CJ went to the FET output, one needed more care in watching cable lengths and input impedance of amps. I think it's a non-issue these days. ??
Old 09-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Update....

After about 20 or so hours on the JC-1s, and a temp of 83 in my listening room. (yes, had to set up a fan to use when not listening)
In the 25W high bias mode, at low listening levels, there is more inner detail than I've ever heard anywhere. period.

These things are razor sharp, not harsh. obviously very likeable to many considering their overall stellar reputation.
BUT, It was hitting me that the JC1s actually remove, or cover up, or eliminate one of the very things I like about CJ.. that slight sweetness/warmth/"pleasinglyness" sound. Call it distortion, inaccuracy or whatever, I like it. The JC-1 really began to remind me of the sound of my old Krell KSA-150. fast, razor sharp, powerful, probably technically more accurate..but in the end somewhat less "pleasing".

Hooked the Carys back up...and immediately (amps cold) heard that intangible CJ sweetness coming through.

'not like I couldn't live withe the JC-1s, and I must run them for another 30+ hours minimum before rendering a final verdict, but as of this moment, Cary.

But then again, a cold winters night @ 3AM, JC-1s in high-bias mode, soft listening, the JC-1s would be magical.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:42 AM
dpod4

Did the jc1s trump the carys?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
Did the jc1s trump the carys?
yea, it really looks like that's ending up to be the case.
I could have lived with either set of amps no problem, and the heat output on the JC1s could be an issue for many.

However, all told, the JC1s are a bit cheaper, seem even better made and that high-bias/25 watt class A is a tough act to follow.. sound wise.

Even if I were to rate the two amps overall sound a wash, when listening at very low volume levels, there is just plain and simply more detail to hear in the JC1s.

I've returned the Carys, and have been spending time with the JC1s. As much as I'd like to find something wrong with the Parasound units, I simply can't.

Even in the standard bias mode, they run hotter than the Cary's. The Carys are without a doubt the greenest amps I've ever seen. My Primare A32 gets warmer than the 2 Carys.

I hate like heck to use one of those audio writer cliches, but I really really do find myself tapping my foot to the music much more with the JC1s.

As a very unscientific measure of steady state bias on the amps:
My Preamp/DAC and Server draw slightly over 1 amp@120V. when running. Adding the Carys, or the Primare, total system current draw is 3.5-4 amps.

With the JC1s, in low bias the current is 6-8 amps, and around 10 amps! in high bias. these are all with NO music playing whatsoever!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 PM
dpod4

Congrats - great choice.