AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 03-23-2016, 05:43 AM

Congrats to the new speakers. Mine should arrive in the next 3 weeks. Are you using Devialet 400, am I right? Have you tried to bi-amp the speakers? I have been considering the same configuration and I think bi-amping (using the Devialet as stereo amps for each speaker) might have some benefits. Of course, if you have two pairs of speaker cables. I would be very grateful if you report about performance. Cheers
Old 03-23-2016, 09:08 AM

congrats BrianT !!

The 803d3 are one of the nicest looking in the new lineup.

What other speakers were you comparing?
Old 03-23-2016, 09:51 AM

Congrats! Enjoy the break-in process. I have about 250 hours on mine and they continue to show small gains in improvement although the most noticeable jump was at around 75 hours!

YMMV
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 03-23-2016, 03:18 PM

I'm sure you'll experience bass extension. It's my understanding that you expedite the process by playing tunes with full dynamic range to ensure that the drivers break in. Maybe pick up Zeppelin's 2007 Mothership which Plant subsequently admitted was remastered with way too much bass because he could no longer hear low range (!).

I do envy you. Realizing I can't afford these, I picked up the last pair of NIB 803D2's I could find in Texas since they were better than the 803S's I had.

Every review I've read of yours suggests that you are in for a real treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayers View Post
I wish I made more money...
LOL; you and me both. New Blancpain announced at Baselworld last week. New Volvo V90 wagon announced at Geneva last month. It's going out just as fast as it's coming in....
Old 03-23-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustycat View Post
Congrats!

Just wait, it will get better.

Mine started sounding a little better just yesterday, after a total of about 60 hrs, my plan is to leave them running, except nights, until I reach 200 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
The true test of sonic perfection will be when the cat notices new sounds on tracks he has heard dozens of times before! Nothing like 4 legged speaker calibration!!
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 03-23-2016, 06:24 PM

Thanks to all you guys (and gal's) for the well wishes on my new 803D3's
I find them to work a lot better in my smaller space than the 802d"s they replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayers View Post
I wish I made more money; these speakers are awesome..
So do I, that way I could afford Masterlu (Ivan) system
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4music View Post
Mine should arrive in the next 3 weeks. Are you using Devialet 400, am I right? Have you tried to bi-amp the speakers? I think bi-amping (using the Devialet as stereo amps for each speaker) Cheers
You are a lucky boy, as I think they are a great speaker for a smaller space.
Yes I am Bi-Amp the speakers using each amp as a Mono amp per speaker. Is that what you meant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC23 View Post
congrats BrianT !!
The 803d3 are one of the nicest looking in the new lineup.
What other speakers were you comparing?
I like them, the 802D3 where to big for my space. I was looking at a pair of Focal
Spora2s but found them a little bright. The Wilson Sabrina I loved but out of my budget, so as a long time B&W owner I purchased the 803D3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
Congrats! Enjoy the break-in process. I have about 250 hours on mine and they continue to show small gains in improvement although the most noticeable jump was at around 75 hours!
YMMV
I have about 60 hrs on them now and are starting to notice real nice changes, even starting to get some bass
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
I'm sure you'll experience bass extension.
I picked up the last pair of NIB 803D2's I could find in Texas since they were better than the 803S's I had.
Crongrats on picking up you new 803D2 you will love them, the Diamond tweeter is so nice.
Yes I have already started to get some more bass extension, looking forward to a little more.

Brian
Old 03-23-2016, 06:30 PM

Just looked at a pair this afternoon...very nice!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:57 PM

BrianT, Congratulation on your new 803 D3 speakers. They're beautiful!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:15 PM

Dear BrianT, by bi-amping I mean using each devialet as a two channel amplifier, actually like having 4 monoblocks with lesser power. Two for the bass section of each speaker and two for the mid/hi section. Maybe you can consult your dealer about this configuration. My experience proves that passive bi-amping has more benefits, especially in smaller rooms, but I have never had the opportunity to play with a Devialet.
Cheers
Old 03-23-2016, 11:58 PM

He could bi wire his speakers with the Devialet 400's, however I am fairly certainly he cannot bi-amp them. That is what I do with my speakers and the D400s.