AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 12-23-2015, 09:19 AM

Hi SMC23,

We began shipping product in North America during the first half of October. Everything that shipped that month, and most everything that has shipped since then has been dealer demonstration models. I visited a customer this week who has installed his pair of 802D3 in gloss black, and limited quantities have been delivered to customers.

That said, demand exceeds availability for 802D3 and 803D3. The rosenut finish for these two models is in especially short supply. The good news is that 804D3 and 805D3 are generally available to ship same day from our warehouses. Who is your dealer in Toronto?

Thank you for your patience. Our factory in Worthing, England works around the clock producing the new series in an effort that involves more than 200 people in production. I think you'll find the waiting worthwhile.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC23 View Post
Wanted to get an idea how many owners have received their 802D3? Here in Toronto Canada, there's one dealer that has a pair but no other dealers have them.

Besides a handful of dealers out there, seems to me end users of 802D3 are scarce or non-existent. I haven't read any customer reports of these speakers yet. I know B&W have been focusing on the other models for delivery based on users getting the other floor standers.

My dealer says they are still awaiting their pair they pre-ordered back in Sept. Ordered mine in around that time and first on the list and I'm trying to be patient but was really hoping my pair would have come in by now for Xmas. My Dealer's B&W rep also has no clue when these are coming in!

I think I received custom ordered cars sooner over the pond than ordering these 802s! We'rent these speakers supposed to be available in Oct?
Old 12-23-2015, 05:46 PM

I got mine December 9 (So Cal). Serial number ~1000, so the factory is pumping them out
Old 12-23-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Hi SMC23,

We began shipping product in North America during the first half of October. Everything that shipped that month, and most everything that has shipped since then has been dealer demonstration models. I visited a customer this week who has installed his pair of 802D3 in gloss black, and limited quantities have been delivered to customers.

That said, demand exceeds availability for 802D3 and 803D3. The rosenut finish for these two models is in especially short supply. The good news is that 804D3 and 805D3 are generally available to ship same day from our warehouses. Who is your dealer in Toronto?

Thank you for your patience. Our factory in Worthing, England works around the clock producing the new series in an effort that involves more than 200 people in production. I think you'll find the waiting worthwhile.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America
Thanks for that insight. I ordered gloss black so glad these are not in as limited supply compared to the rosenuts.

I spoke to my dealer today, regency, and they provided an update that the warehouse is expecting a shipment very soon, so here's hoping I get my set to sing in the new year!
Old 12-24-2015, 03:06 AM

I just heard the 803D3s two days ago. It's weird but I wasnt a big fan of the 800 series. Till I heard the new D3s.

I imagine fans who like the old sound may not like where the D3 takes them.

I thought the mid bass was more nuanced and more articulate and less "one note" like the older 800s.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:48 PM

Well it's been quite the wait since I placed my pre-order and finally I have received my new 802d3!!!

I have them sitting in my living room awaiting to be unboxed. I'm quite excited to set them up. I sold my 802D2 for this upgrade so my expectations are somewhat high.

Still waiting on the htm1d3 so hopefully that doesn't take too much longer.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Well it's been quite the wait since I placed my pre-order and finally I have received my new 802d3!!!

I have them sitting in my living room awaiting to be unboxed. I'm quite excited to set them up. I sold my 802D2 for this upgrade so my expectations are somewhat high.

Still waiting on the htm1d3 so hopefully that doesn't take too much longer.
Congrats on the new arrivals! Please keep us posted on your impressions.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 01-06-2016, 10:48 PM

Congrats!

But.....

Come on, still in the box!!!!

What?????
Old 01-07-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Well it's been quite the wait since I placed my pre-order and finally I have received my new 802d3!!! I have them sitting in my living room awaiting to be unboxed. I'm quite excited to set them up. I sold my 802D2 for this upgrade so my expectations are somewhat high. Still waiting on the htm1d3 so hopefully that doesn't take too much longer.
Great speakers! I know you will be as pleased with them as I am with my 803D3. The HTM1D3 is also great. You get a big sound!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:03 PM

Thanks all.

The boxes are much larger and heavier than 802D2's and I wanted to wait until I could get a helping hand to unbox. I was able to convince my wife to help out!

Surprisingly I didn't need an extra hand after all! I was able to open up the boxes and roll the speakers into place my self. My wife just was there to spot me on the speakers as they rolled out. I'm quite impressed by the simplicity of the unboxing and setup on the new speakers!!

I setup the speakers and right off the bat, they need to get broken in!! The bass felt light but very detailed. The high's are very revealing, possibly brighter than my 802D2's? The new midrange I can tell is something really special as the I can tell the integration with the tweeter is much better and the sound of drums has more attack.

I need to break in the speakers more to open them up. These are my initial thoughts after <1hr of listening.

As far as the looks, the quality of finish i would say is slightly a step up from the 802D3. Both series offer the same quality to my eyes. The smoothness of the finish seems to be more uniform, but you can still see a slight wavy-ness from the wood underneath. I only saw this under directly lighting above, and from my listening position is not noticeable. I did unbox the speakers in the late evening so hoping I dont see any quality issues during the day.

Unfortunately, I did have one loose binding post on one speaker which I remedied by tightening with some pliers.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
...Unfortunately, I did have one loose binding post on one speaker which I remedied by tightening with some pliers.
That's voided the warranty then... Seriously though, I am very jealous. I would love a pair of these, but my dear daughter needed a new car!
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM