AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:57 PM

Default P2p

Can anyone recommend good P2P file sharing sites for music downloads?

I mostly use Limewire for mp3 downloads for casual listening, Ipod, and to try out new and different artists and music genres. IMO, most of the "paid" download sites like the former HDGiants don't have a wide enough selection.

Are there any sites yet that host cd quality uploads and downloads for members that members can contribute to and download from?

Is there a technical reason why a site such as AudioAficionado (for example) can't have a P2P section where we can upload and download hi-rez files for each others use?
If it's not feasible, why?

Last edited by wpines; 07-21-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:09 PM

I can't answer the legal ramifications of what you are asking, but here is what Rhapsody offers and it allows you to do some of what you ask.
Rhapsody Membership Plans
Old 07-21-2009, 07:15 PM

An excellent source for free downloads of live music is the Live Music Archive Internet Archive: Free Downloads: Live Music Archive

The p2p sites I know of are all focused primarily towards jam bands, I can post those addresses if you are interested.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
I can't answer the legal ramifications of what you are asking, but here is what Rhapsody offers and it allows you to do some of what you ask.
Rhapsody Membership Plans
I think the legal aspect of this has already kinda played out. As I recall Kazaa was the first lawsuit that the RIAA brought and Kazaa lost the lawsuit but p2p sites still flourish. Technology has brought us change again. Change happens and the marketplace will sort it out.
All legalities aside, why can't a site such as Limewire handle CD quality files.
There must be a geekier soul than me that knows the answer. I suspect it's a technical issue or a storage space issue.

Last edited by wpines; 07-21-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Point to point music sharing of recording artist's music will get you in trouble these days. It is an illegal infrigement of the artist's and publisist's copyrights. The fair use laws that cover your right to make copies of copyrighted music that you own for your personal use will not protect you recording P2P from someone elses files.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 PM

I agree. The artists put great effort and time into making the music. It is only fair that consumers pay for the music.

Most people that download music from a P2P site don't really care about sound quality. They download it for playback in iPod, car stereo, of computer. 128k don't sound much different than uncompressed audio via tiny earbuds. I doubt the public would understand why one wants to fit 12 songs in 700mb of space where they can fit >100 songs in the same space. If there's no demand, there won't be much supply either.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:27 PM

The distribution of music is changing. The public has voted.
This is the headline at today's The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

Musicians Find Backers as Labels Wane
By BRAD STONE 10 minutes ago
Emily Haines of Metric at the Coachella Valley festival. Companies are planning to invest in artists who lack record deals and help them find audiences online.

Full article here;
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/te...c.html?_r=1&hp

So, back to my original questions.......
Old 07-21-2009, 11:32 PM

As a point of clarification, the sources I mentioned above only feature "trade-friendly" artists, that is, artists and groups who have given permission for audience-made recordings of their concerts to be shared freely on the internet.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Merry Christmas to all

wpines.......I read the article, now back to my original point. Nowhere in the article, or comments by musicians was anything mentioned about having their music given away between individuals with a file on their computer. The premise of the article was to outline the new approach pf SELLING music directly to individuals online without the traditional record label owning the rights to artist's material and distribution. In the old days of the not too distant past file sharing, where you and I would allow access to each others music files, freely copying whatever music we found that we liked is now considered illegal, and punishable by law. This is what was commonly refered to as Point To Point file sharing. I am assuming that is what you are speaking of, the ability to download music free from me, and vice versa. Copyright infringement is serious business these days, and people are being prosecuted, fined, and having equipment confiscated. If I am wrong about the point you are trying to make, please set me straight. Point To Point file sharing of copyrighted music has been determined by the courts to be copyright infringement, and enforcement has been stepped up.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 07-22-2009, 05:38 AM

"the ability to download music free from me, and vice versa"
Bingo - like you used to do with cassettes before we all became lawyers.
Now it's a file and it's easier to share than a cassette.
So I'll try again.... ALL LEGALITIES ASIDE,,,, back to my original questions.

I'm thinking this may not be the right socioeconomic demographic for this particular question,,,, ya think?